Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Raja, why do you like "Invisible Pattern" over 3M xpel? And how much?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 06:40 AM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Raja, why do you like "Invisible Pattern" over 3M xpel? And how much?

I just got a quote for about $1000 bucks for 3M xpel for everything including bumper, hood, mirrors, headlamps and fenders. Since I have time before my vehicle arrives, I'm curious why you like Invisible Pattern and how much price difference. Also they quoted me about $750 for my Carrera with the Aerokit II bumper, but I need to wait on that one till I actually get my bumper and have it installed. Still debating should I have the whole front resprayed or just the bumper painted. I only have a few chips on the hood as I use a bra now, but my bumper is shotgun blasted.

So I have time to decide on what I want. I do realize my biggest mistake was not getting a clear bra on the carrera and I should have known better it not being even close to the first porsche I ever owned.

Thanks,
Corey

Old 03-07-2005, 10:52 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Corey,

Absolutely there is no comparing at all.

here are the facts( not my writing, something my installers provided):
Films on the Market:

3M - 1st generation film had many fading issues, which prompted an upgrade in early 2004. The film still uses the same urethane, but a clearer adhesive. The old film also received many complaints about "orange peel" texture that made the film very visible on darker colored vehicles. 3M's new film is clearer, but is still behind in strength and clarity. 5 Yr Warranty

Avery - Film generally fades w/in 1yr and customer service is poor. The company has all, but fallen off the face of the paint protection industry.

Clearshield - Film's quality is very similar to 3M's 1st generation film. Tends to yellow and crack in 2-3 yrs. Similar to 3M's 1st gen film, 90% of the adhesives will remain on paint when film is removed. 5 Year Warranty.

Llumar (CP Films) is one of the clearer films on the market. Customer service is lacking. Film's quality does not reject environmental oxidation, bird droppings, and other chemicals as well as 3M and Venture. The film is not OE approved. Lifetime Warranty

Venture - film's clarity along w/ its patented acrylic adhesives make it the clearer film. Excellent customer service and film looks great on all colors - even black. The film has been tested by Nissan against 3M. The test results showed 3M's film punctured when a 9lb prove was used while Venture's did not break until 20lbs of pressure was applied. Film is approved by Ferrari, Nissan, Infiniti, Dodge, GM and several others. Lifetime Warranty

INSTALLATION & SOFTWARE DESIGN
Film's quality is only as good as the installation. Searching out a good installer is not an easy task as many companies make outrageous claims of experience and expertise. The most important thing is to see what type of coverage you will get and whether or not it will be in one piece especially for the front bumper. Companies that use 1 piece for bumpers are generally more skilled at paint protection film installations, while software designers such as Clearshield, Invicashield, and Stongard (not so much as the first two) created these kits for the beginner installer.

Below are some tips to searching out good installers:
-what type of software do they use. This will dictate their skill level as companies utilizing the 3 softwares above are used to having these kits come in multiple pieces for ease of installation.
-how detailed oriented are they........you will have to pick up these little signs while talking with the company or installer
-how long have they been installing paint protection
-are they certified? although certification is not a pre-req for being a professional installer, it does show that they received some type of training.
-can they do custom work with one piece of film. This is generally meant for those with aftermarket bumpers or would like to have certain areas wrapped that is not computer generated designs.
-if they do custom work, do they cut on the vehicle? There are two ways of working custom applications:
a. Template drawn and designed for the vehicle and plotted on a cutting board.
b. Film installed on the car and trimmed on the car. We do use this method quite often and it is highly recommended that the installer know what he is doing when trimming on the car. The technician must be skilled at such trimming because too much pressure will cut into the paint. Although, we do this type of installation very often and have never damaged the paint surface, the general market technicians have yet to be experienced enough to trim on the vehicle and not damage the paint..........
-Ask to see if they use a heat gun to "soften" the material during installation. This is often a technique used by those not familiar w/ proper stretching of material...........usage of heat gun to stretch material could easily result in stretch marks forming.............this goes back to experience
-Take a look at their work or better yet, ask the locals about their reputation.
-Whenever a technician makes outrageous or exaggerated claims such as being the "best".......it would be advised that such claims is not backed by any type of proof or statistics.

FAQ
1. Will it yellow, bubble or crack over time? Depends on the film (Venture comes with a Lifetime Warranty from yellowing, bubbling, and cracking)
2. Can it be washed and waxed? Yes, to maintain the film, it is meant to be waxed and washed 2 wks after installation.
3. When my car gets dirty, the line on the hood is more visible. What can I do about it? Wash the vehicle and use a wet q-tip and run it along the edge and this will clean up the dirt or wax build-up
4. If I ever remove the film, will there be a two-tone effect? No, 3m & Venture are UV stable and allow the rays to penetrate; therefore, there will not be any 2-toning if film is ever removed.
5. Would the paint get stripped if I remove the film after a few yrs? The film is OE paint safe.
6. Can I repaint my bumper and put a film on right away? Yes, you can, but you risk having the paint get pulled off if it is removed later. The recommended new paint curing time is 30-60 days before clear bra application
7. From my local clear bra installer, they say Venture is easier to install. Well yes and no. Yes, it is easier to install due to its elasticity, but that doesn't mean the quality of install will be ideal. In actuality, the film is more difficult to work with to bring out a truly invisible installation because the film is so clear.........it does not hide any type of installation flaw. While companies like 3m, Clearshield and Avery has some orange peel texture, it helps hide some of the installation imperfections.
8. I have heard that Venture is a cheaper product price wise? Not true, Venture costs about 15% more than 3M.

The guys did my install were Phoenix and Paul. Two young guys with very strong work ethics and customer satisfaction. I would highly recommend them. They drive to your house and do it and what else can you ask for.

I chose Venture shield over 3m for few reasons.
1. Venture shield / Invisible patter wrap the edges, making it look transparent and less lines than xpel kits (which I had on my s2000)
3. Venture shield is clearest film in the market. I can't even tell on my black car. Where as the 3m was visible in my yellow s2000.
3. I just couldn't be happier with the service from the guys. I would highly recommend it.

Raja

ps. I am not affliated with these guys or do not get a kick back. But having a somewhere pricey car, i demand more and these guys just delivered at my conditions making it very comfortable for me to do my buisness with them. i did not have to leave my car overnight somewhere.

Last edited by LIL RAJA; 03-07-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Premier is infamous around these parts
Lil Raja,
Do you mind sharing where or who gave you the info above?

Thanks

Old 04-13-2005, 03:55 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Premier,
Yeah, like I said I am not affliated with those guys or any of the guys for the matter. They pointed me to the mb web page. I think it's in the clk500 new coupe class section and i got it from there. Having 3m stuff on my s2000 before and now venture shield, i can definately say that this is by far the superior product in the market A friend got some custom installation from those guys in the bay area and they are very reputable. I went to the venture shield's webpage and found dealer in my area.

thanks!
Raja

Old 04-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by LIL RAJA
I went to the venture shield's webpage and found dealer in my area.
How do I search for a recommended dealer in my area? I went to there website but could not find a thing.

Thx

Old 04-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. We work hard at maintaining the best installation results; and reviews of our work on the net shows this. We just wanted to make sure that nobody on the market are using information we posted on the net and using it as their own. We don't mind the info being shared as long as credit is given to the company providing the info. Again, thanks for clearing that up.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Premier
Thanks for clearing that up. We work hard at maintaining the best installation results; and reviews of our work on the net shows this. We just wanted to make sure that nobody on the market are using information we posted on the net and using it as their own. We don't mind the info being shared as long as credit is given to the company providing the info. Again, thanks for clearing that up.
SPY

BAN

Old 04-13-2005, 05:46 PM
jamy, you could search out an installer in your area here - www.invisiblepatterns.com or www.xpel.com

-xperience is the key........just ask for references or pics of previous work. Those who are particular w/ their work, usually have pics documenting the work they do. good luck

Old 04-13-2005, 05:46 PM
jamy,
here is the web site:
http://www.invisiblepatterns.com/dealers.asp
chose ur state and find a local distributor.

Premier,
Wish you guys were closer. I wanted my whole hood done, but the guys were up to the game. I guess that is very custom work that you guys do.

Raja

Old 04-13-2005, 08:35 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I have a combination of xpel and invinsashield products on my car and couldn't be happier with both. excellent products. i helped install about 20 different pieces on my car. xpel has a better fit, but IS offers more pieces. i don't really care how clear the film is, you're going to see the seams on the hood and a few other spots. it's unavoidable. especially on dark cars.

just don't expect these products to be completely invisible. they're good to about three feet. anybody getting up close will be able to see it. they look fine, but they are visible. bear in mind that there will be some blemishes during install. especially on the front bumper. stretch marks are inevitable, even for experienced installers.

I'm not familiar with the venture film, but it sounds good. Just stick with a reputable company. All of these companies have webistes with local installer contact info.

Whatever you do, don't try to do the front bumper yourself. The porsche bumpers are some of the hardest bumpers out there. Definately worth the money to pay someone to do this one. The hood and most of the other smaller flat areas are pretty easy.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:17 PM
just have to keep this in mind. It's protecting your car, it's not a mod that is suppose to make your car look cooler or something.