Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne coolant line class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
xsrfs is infamous around these parts
I don't have any and other than the obvious sources (ebay, craigslist, forum classfieds, etc) I wouldn't know where to locate them either. Porsche has discontinued the original plastic pipes because they sucked that bad.Out of curiousity, why do you want plastic ones?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM
fclick is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the reply. That's my experience too.

I took an interest in the defect (because they sucked so bad), and I'd like a set to do some testing on. Here's hoping someone hasn't gotten around to disposing of theirs yet.

Originally Posted by xsrfs
I don't have any and other than the obvious sources (ebay, craigslist, forum classfieds, etc) I wouldn't know where to locate them either. Porsche has discontinued the original plastic pipes because they sucked that bad.Out of curiousity, why do you want plastic ones?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
I live in San Diego, so the weather is pretty stable and temperate. I wonder if location is a factor in failures. For example, I would think extreme temperatures may contribute
mine only has 27k mi and is an 04. I got it used a few months ago and I haven't checked yet if they have been done

Last edited by xsrfs; 07-13-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
DRYRUNNER is infamous around these parts
Has anyone changed the tubes themselves? Is it difficult?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DRYRUNNER
Has anyone changed the tubes themselves? Is it difficult?
This is a case where (1) reading the stickies (2) learning to use "search" might be of use to you.

Answer is yes and yes.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Hey Fclick - thats a great idea! I don't know your education, professional, etc but maybe some legitimate outside study could help the class action suit. However, to prevent it unintentionally hurting the case don't reveal any findings without consulting the attorneys on cayenneclassaction.com

Old 07-14-2011, 08:40 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
after replacing my pipes @ 60,000 miles and now having 100,000 miles I have another plastic coolant leak problem. It is a plastic fitting connecting hoses for coolant system and is located on the drivers side between engine firewall/engine and sits above the tranny, good part is the item is only $ 18 +/- however bad news is labor in the books says 6hrs A lot of the components must be removed just to get access to it? Anybody else here experience this plastic melt down?? I will post pics of it when I pick it up today.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM
not me. however i have seen a thread called something like "worse than the plastic cooling pipe issue" I can't remember the level of detail it goes into but i'm sure the search function will yield results on this. if not here then google

Old 07-14-2011, 09:53 AM
steved76 is infamous around these parts
Send me a PM or reply with your e-mail...I have the original pipes, kept them after replacing. Can't PM you b/c post count low...

Steve

Originally Posted by fclick
I'm new here and have a question related to this. I'm looking for a set of the original, plastic engine cooling pipes from a 2003-2006 Cayenne. I'm hoping someone on the board may have held onto their original set - my mechanic contacts have all scrapped them. I'm happy to pay for the pipes and the shipping. Please PM me if you have a set you'd be willing part with. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 PM
seankrider is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
after replacing my pipes @ 60,000 miles and now having 100,000 miles I have another plastic coolant leak problem. It is a plastic fitting connecting hoses for coolant system and is located on the drivers side between engine firewall/engine and sits above the tranny, good part is the item is only $ 18 +/- however bad news is labor in the books says 6hrs A lot of the components must be removed just to get access to it? Anybody else here experience this plastic melt down?? I will post pics of it when I pick it up today.

Sounds like you're talking about the rubber/plastic tee-connector on Turbos, which I thought was a standard part of the surgery on replacing the pipes.

If that's it, the labor estimate is right on. It is a real pain to access, let alone remove considering it is completely crusted on with dried leaky fluid. I posted pics either here or on RennList after I did mine. You're essentially opening everything back up as if doing the pipes again. But at least the pipes are out there in daylight, vs. the 3" of operating space for the connector.

You know it's bad when a Porsche tech says it's a hard job...

Old 07-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Markenstein3D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xsrfs
not me. however i have seen a thread called something like "worse than the plastic cooling pipe issue" I can't remember the level of detail it goes into but i'm sure the search function will yield results on this. if not here then google
I think they were talking about the water pump

Old 07-23-2011, 02:26 PM
dajadeturtle is infamous around these parts
I have joined the burst coolant pipes club/t joint club... the silver lining to this woe is it burst one block from home yesterday. I got it to the garage, removed all the engine covers and started dousing water through the intake manifolds plenum and the back of the motor right away in the hope i can save the trans seal that folks have mentioned would later fail if soaked by the coolant... I put my near 80k on the clock 06 baby on to a flatbed where i doused her again before he pulled off just in-case there was any more run off that may have seeped out when i started her to drive her out the buildings garage. At some point on Monday I will go to my pals shop to see what we find. Hopefully I will get the parts local as there are at least 5 Porsche dealers on LI that he deals with... price I'm not worried I pay shop discount. I'm just so happy that it happened so close to home and i had access to water...

Guess now I will finally do those E3 plugs and coil packs (number 8 has been intermittently acting up and i have been lazy) ... might as well i will have all the access i need.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 PM
nardeezy is infamous around these parts
After briefly reading thru this thread, the issue is a potentially faulty or low quality engine coolant "pipe" not "hose"?

My 3rd party extended warranty does not cover any "hose" failure but it doesn't mention anything about "pipe(s)".

Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM
solecollector is infamous around these parts
Well damn. My plastic pipes went out when I was taking my grandparents to the airport at 7 am.... broke down in heavy traffic on the turnpike and had to get a tow / cab for them to go to the airport and wait for me and everything else that comes with missing the flight.

Bought this CTT in '07. Have the extended warranty from Genuine Warranty - still in effect (car has 90,000 miles on it and the warranty lasts until March 2012 / 110,000). But of course this isn't covered under warranty...WTF....

From the posts here you have me damn worried that I need to sell the car sooner than later. The car has been great! But it burns about 1 qt of oil every 5,000 miles or so (dealer said it was normal...). I just replaced the brakes so I'm good there... but I sure am not interested in replacing anything that the coolant could have hosed up like the seals.

What do you guys thing about the possibility of anything else failing? And does the extended warranty typically cover any of these other items?

I signed up for the class action.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
lbredefe is infamous around these parts
solecollector...

youll be fine. the burning of the oil is completely normal for the turbos.

the coolant system really should be covered under your extended warranty but maybe yours has some other definition of what is covered under the cooling system specifics.

I would not dump the vehicle. they have top reliability ratings. other than the drive shafts, and the cooling pipes, they are really good vehicles.

most of the time the coolant pipe fissure and resulting leakeage does not affect the trans seals and startes, although it can. from most everything I have read though, drivers usually find out it has affect them right away or within 2 months or so when they notice a leaking/dripping etc.

if you pulled over right away and did not continue to engage in heavy acceleration while it was leaking, your seals probably remained untouched.

check the definitions on your ext warranty coverages. every single one is different.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne coolant line class action lawsuit