Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne coolant line class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
The goal of warranty companies is NOT to make you happy. It is to make their stockholders happy. They do this by denying coverage. They probably are claiming the pipes are "hoses" - and there is probably a clause in the contract denying coverage for hoses.

If your torque converter seal later goes out - the warranty may, or may not cover seals - usually they're quite specific about that, so you have to read the contract you have with them.

The chance of the torque converter seal going bad is increased if coolant overflowed the V on the head and dribbled down onto the seal area. I've never seen coolant like the Porsche stuff - but when it dries it turns into a rock hard substance. If the coolant dries around the seal/shaft it's going to be abrasive and that's what makes the seal go bad. The starter will fail if immersed in the coolant probably due to the same property of the coolant, plus starters really aren't meant to be soaked with water or coolant.

Your oil use is actually quite good compared to most reports on turbo engines I've seen here.. so I'd guess your engine is generally healthy.

You didn't mention what year your turbo is.. problem with older ones is some of the expensive repairs are getting to be a good percentage of the value of the vehicle. It would be unlikely that you can sell it with the pipes gone.. so you're stuck with at least fixing that (figure $2k to have someone do it..)

Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM
solecollector is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the replies. Car is still at the shop as they have been fitting with Genuine Warranty on getting it covered. Looks like it is going to be a hassle.

My car is a 2005.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 PM
solecollector is infamous around these parts
Well I went through a few rounds with Genuine Warranty who says they only cover mechanical and electrical (bought the bumper to bumper warranty....) and they said they get tons of calls on this problem but they just don't cover it. Nothing plastic or rubber....

I then called the dealer and asked if there was a recall - full well knowing there wasn't - and when he said no I asked - why would you put plastic pieces in a place where they will get brittle. He then said most a lot of the engine components (outside) were plastic. He quoted $2,600 to fix it.

The place I had my car towed to is charging $1,600... so I guess in a way I'm getting a deal.... WTF.

And when I asked the dealer about the class action suite he actually chuckled and said that was going on for a long time and nothing would come of it. Again, WTF.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:01 PM
psychowu is infamous around these parts
I was quoted with $3,500 to fix just the pipes, this is going to be my last P car. Period.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by psychowu
I was quoted with $3,500 to fix just the pipes, this is going to be my last P car. Period.

Don't let a dealer or repair shop that is quoting you a rip-off price discourage you from owning a Porsche. Find another that will do it for $1600 like so many others have. Reality is, that this is nowhere near as bad as the IMF bearing issue found on the 911 and boxsters - it's just a bad call on Porsche's behalf to use plastic.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:46 PM
psychowu is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
Don't let a dealer or repair shop that is quoting you a rip-off price discourage you from owning a Porsche. Find another that will do it for $1600 like so many others have. Reality is, that this is nowhere near as bad as the IMF bearing issue found on the 911 and boxsters - it's just a bad call on Porsche's behalf to use plastic.
Thanks for the input, i've called around dealers and ask how much we are looking at to fix it, most of them sounds they will at least charge 3.5K at least, so i'm going to take the car to a well-know shop specializes in P cars in my area...

It's just that for what we are paying I cant believe Porsche is aware of this problem and just watch it happens to cayenne owners...

Old 12-13-2011, 05:17 AM
Pepper is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by psychowu
I thought that too, but then I bought my wife a PRIUS and the battery pack went bad and Toyota wanted $6,000.00 to RR!!!!

And try getting that done (high voltage) anywhere but the stealership!
Our parents said we have it easy, give me a break!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 PM
racer_65 is infamous around these parts
I got this job done at the dealer as a preemptive measure for $1480, including the T pipe and seals.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 PM
TenaciousT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by racer_65
I got this job done at the dealer as a preemptive measure for $1480, including the T pipe and seals.
Any chance of getting a copy of your receipt? I would love to get my dealer to match that.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 AM
xsrfs is infamous around these parts
I'm on original pipes on a 2004 CS with just under 30k miles. I hope this suit settles soon, and with favorable results, so i can get them replaced on recall

Old 12-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Rnorth is infamous around these parts
Bernoulli wundebar!

While I share the concerns below, there's one comment that is actually good news: "Every time I accelerate my rear window vision becomes obscured . . ." I've noticed the same thing with my '04 Cayenne Turbo many times, and I've assumed it was simply condensation in the low pressure wake which occurs with rapid acceleration (of which this car is much more capable than any other "breadvan" I've owned). It occurs consistently when the temperature is just above the dew point, early in the morning.

Wundebar!

Originally Posted by gr8ful
Extremely interested since I have been shaking in my boots about these breaking on my CPO 2005 CT. Porsche North America and Porsche dealerships (at least my local one) seem to be all about milking us for all they can get.

On this forum I have heard of bills as high at $9,000 in repairs due to the failure of those time bombs atop our engines. It is insane of PNA to neglect this known aspect since it places so much more at risk should and when the pipes fail.

I have decided that I will replace them at my expense when my CPO warranty expires June 2011 if they haven't failed during the warranty. However, I will have the work done at a reputable independent shop with a master Porsche mechanic NOT at the only dealership in my area.

My local dealer drove the poor fellow off. They've a habit of not treating their mechanics--or customers--well.

I will never buy a new Porsche and I won't buy another used CPO one. I will buy used and take mine to a more reasonable fellow who knows more than the area dealership and its staff. I don't want to be strapped by a CPO warranty to the dealer again.

I hate the fact that the dealer chooses not to honor Porsche's own parts warranty of two years. They have just about lost my business and it's obvious they don't care.

While they push me claiming 'buy a new one and everything will be covered,' future performance is best guaged by past performance and current behavior. Since they are shaming themselves [and me] right now, there's no sense hoping for better performance by (unnecessarily) rewarding them. They've taught me my lesson.

However, getting those pipes fixed and preventing costly repairs is paramount. Every time I accelerate my rear window vision becomes obscured and I worry my pipes have broken.

While they assure me it doesn't happen in colder climates. My car spent it's first four years in the desert. Besides, the dealer had one CayenneS in the shop for a few days fixing the blown pipes on it.

Why wait?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
TenaciousT is infamous around these parts
Well add me to the list. My 04CS is in for fuel pump and I had them do pressure test on coolant system as I have been smelling it after long drives (no signs of leak though). They confirmed I have small leak in one of the pipes and was burning up which is why I didn't see any evidence on the garage floor. They quoted me $1750 and suggested I change the starter as well for $573 while they are in there. That's on top of the $756 for the fuel pump and $789 for the side airbag which is why my airbag light was on. Oh, and I have 57k miles on mine. NICE

Old 01-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
good read. 06 Cayenne S with just over 25k miles. ignition coils were happened to be replaced while doing the maintenance. i hope this goes through!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
Class action

If this ever goes anywhere, I'd like to be in. I had to replace mine last year. 2004 Cayenne Turbo.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:19 PM
av62nv is infamous around these parts
i'm currently looking imto buying a 04 ctt but after reading very discureged. is there any advice any one can give me on what to look for?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne coolant line class action lawsuit