Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne coolant line class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 AM
carreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the roughcarreracup03 is a jewel in the rough
I just did my CTT for 1500. My car is now out of warranty, so I considered it preventative maintenance. I did not want it to blow at a bad time, and then have to replace the pipes and the starter etc. Most of the time, if the pipes have not been done, you can get an appropriate price cut. I plan on keeping mine for a long time .. I love the car!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Silver TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by av62nv
i'm currently looking imto buying a 04 ctt but after reading very discureged. is there any advice any one can give me on what to look for?
At this point given it is now 2012 you can buy an 06, 07, or even the newer body style 08-10s for such a great bargain that I would probably encourage you to pick up one of those which has had many of the common issues addressed. If you do buy a first gen 04-07 I would at a minimum ask the owner if the following three things were replaced:

1. Cardan driveshaft bearing - easy fix, about $600 for a re-manufactured hub, just about all Cayennes need it sooner or later.

2. Ignition Coils - again, all need them replaced evenutally, little more expensive, about $1,200 I think.

3. Coolant Tube Update - the 08 and newer run an aluminum tube system whereas the 04-07 had plastic tubes which will crack. Not a question of if, just when. And I have heard between 1,000 and 2,000+ for this job so that is the big one.

I did get reimbursed from Porsche for the Ignition coils. They sent me a check for $1,000 after I submitted the paperwork to them.

Hope that helps. They are great vehicles...and for the money way more car than an american SUV or other German alternatives.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:37 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Silver TT
At this point given it is now 2012 you can buy an 06, 07, or even the newer body style 08-10s for such a great bargain that I would probably encourage you to pick up one of those which has had many of the common issues addressed. If you do buy a first gen 04-07 I would at a minimum ask the owner if the following three things were replaced:

1. Cardan driveshaft bearing - easy fix, about $600 for a re-manufactured hub, just about all Cayennes need it sooner or later.
That's actually a remanufacturered shaft (not "hub") - and I've seen them priced well under $500.

2. Ignition Coils - again, all need them replaced evenutally, little more expensive, about $1,200 I think.
That seems awfully expensive for coils. I did snag a spare one from a NAPA dealer for $35.. guess I should have ordered 8 of them.. It's surprising what deals you can find with a bit of Googling (like the stock plugs from Amazon - cost me < $5/each..)

3. Coolant Tube Update - the 08 and newer run an aluminum tube system whereas the 04-07 had plastic tubes which will crack. Not a question of if, just when. And I have heard between 1,000 and 2,000+ for this job so that is the big one.
Yup. It's a "just do it" sorta thing.. factor that into the price if it hasn't been done.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deilenberger
That's actually a remanufacturered shaft (not "hub") - and I've seen them priced well under $500.That seems awfully expensive for coils. I did snag a spare one from a NAPA dealer for $35.. guess I should have ordered 8 of them.. It's surprising what deals you can find with a bit of Googling (like the stock plugs from Amazon - cost me < $5/each..)Yup. It's a "just do it" sorta thing.. factor that into the price if it hasn't been done.
It depends. I was doing maintenance (out of warranty) and they found the cracked ignition coils. They replaced all of them and I got everything reimbursed (around $800).

Does Porsche NA reimburse driveshaft bearing replacement? I don't recall getting a mail from Porsche NA for this.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I had all 8 coils replaced at my Porsche dealer. I think it was about $400. It wasn't terribly expensive, and PCNA reimbursed me for it.

I just rolled 100K miles on my Cayenne, and I'm still on the original cardan shaft. No issues so far.

I did have my coolant pipes updated to the aluminum pipes as a preventative measure.

Other common issues include fuel pumps and water pumps. I've had both replaced. That being said, I got plenty of use out of my OEM units.

All is good. The Cayenne is very reliable.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I had all 8 coils replaced at my Porsche dealer. I think it was about $400. It wasn't terribly expensive, and PCNA reimbursed me for it.

I just rolled 100K miles on my Cayenne, and I'm still on the original cardan shaft. No issues so far.

I did have my coolant pipes updated to the aluminum pipes as a preventative measure.

Other common issues include fuel pumps and water pumps. I've had both replaced. That being said, I got plenty of use out of my OEM units.

All is good. The Cayenne is very reliable.

Dennis, just had my Cayenne up at Evergreen Lake today, took some great pics of the partially frozen water on the dam. Always like that area!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
Dennis, just had my Cayenne up at Evergreen Lake today, took some great pics of the partially frozen water on the dam. Always like that area!
We like it too! I live less than a mile from the lake. We frequently walk down there with the dogs.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM
slouck is infamous around these parts
Just recently purchased a 2006 Cayenne S and stumbled upon this thread after getting a 2100.00 bill for replacement of these lines. The vehicle had a small coolant leak and I was shocked to hear that I could no longer purchase the original parts yet this was not being treated as a recall. I have submitted my information to the registry. Has anyone heard of any updates on the class action suit?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM
TenaciousT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by slouck
Just recently purchased a 2006 Cayenne S and stumbled upon this thread after getting a 2100.00 bill for replacement of these lines. The vehicle had a small coolant leak and I was shocked to hear that I could no longer purchase the original parts yet this was not being treated as a recall. I have submitted my information to the registry. Has anyone heard of any updates on the class action suit?
Welcome! I heard from the Ohio attorney (Isaac, Brant, Ledman & Teetor, L.L.P.) a few weeks ago and they were having a conference with the court on how to move the case forward. It is certainly negligent to refuse a recall, but instead produce an upgraded version of the same part....for profit.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
I do not have my 2004 Cayenne Turbo anymore, but I do own a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S....if this still suffers from the same issue, please keep me on the lawsuit! I do not know if it has been remedied yet.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
slouck is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TenaciousT
Welcome! I heard from the Ohio attorney (Isaac, Brant, Ledman & Teetor, L.L.P.) a few weeks ago and they were having a conference with the court on how to move the case forward. It is certainly negligent to refuse a recall, but instead produce an upgraded version of the same part....for profit.
Yah it certainly doesn't sit well with me but hopefully this class action suit will be settled and it won't further tarnish my initial impression of Porsche as this is my first foray into the brand. Thanks for the quick reply and please keep the information flowing as new updates are made available.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
One tiny point here. "RECALL" is hopefully not what is being sought.

A recall is a legal action required by NHTSA and the manufacturer to fix a dangerous condition in a vehicle that risks injury or lives. So far - I haven't heard of the exploding cooling pipes being any more risky then say a broken fan belt..

What should be being sought is a specific item extended warranty or more likely a service action.

Often manufacturers will extend the warranty on a specific part/system of a vehicle (usually to 100k miles - BMW loves to do this) to shut up noisy owners.

Sometimes the manufacturer will offer a service campaign to fix what the problem is, and reimburse people who paid to have it fixed. This to me should be the end goal of the class-action suit (besides making the attorneys who persue it very rich..)

Using the term "Recall" just muddies up the water. I can bet'cha NHTSA has absolutely no interest in exploding cooling pipes. If they worried about that sort of thing, every BMW made in the past 15 years would be on a recall list for exploding cooling systems.

If you can show them injuries (or Dog forbid) or deathes that were caused by the coolant pipes failing, then you have a vague chance at a recall. Or I guess if you can get the network news stations to do an expose' of "Killer Porsches.."

Old 03-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TenaciousT
Good to know that it is moving forward. I am curious to find out how this plays out since I've never been a part of class action lawsuit. It's only logical for every first gen Cayenne owners to sign up for this. Are there any cons that I am missing (i.e. backfire against us)?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:28 PM
DSWachtel is infamous around these parts
I'm new to this party...Original owner of an '03 Cayenne S. I've repaired all the items mentioned as well. Master Porsche Mechanic in his own business is my mechanic; can't use dealer's service (they just replace parts, no problem solving intelligence whatsoever). Find a Master Mechanic in your area - if you need one for Orange County, CA, let me know.

Front Axle bearing - rebuild: $900
Ignition Wires - $425.00 (did write letter to Porsche NA and received reimbursement for this item as it was part of a recall)
Cooling hoses - $1700.00 (dealers in OC wanted $2500, would not cover any part of it).

I have an '03 original Cayenne, with 132,000 miles - still solid and virtually no rattles - so I'm keeping this to see how far it will go...I love the car and will likely re-buy Porsche because with all the problems and costs, my Range Rover was substantially worse (dumped that when I purchased the Cayenne in April 2003).

Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I haven't heard back much about this, as the website doesn't reveal much info neither, where are we with this classaction?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne coolant line class action lawsuit