Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Big issue, coolant message, lots of smoke...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
recall/notification

Everyone here who bought their porsche first hand or CPO was sent a letter starting back around September through November notifying us of the "coolant tube" issues.

There were some stipulations that I think I remember reading.

A. below 55k miles, they will do it and to send updated owner info if availiable.
B. If you paid for it and have documentation they will reimburse you up to a certain amount.
C. some other legal noise.

I would check rennlist as I know several threads and people posted something on receiving their "letter".

Old 12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
crap....sorry coils
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ded-coils.html

I just received mine today. Yes Porsche will reimburse you for previous coil repairs. It says that if you have already paid to have the repair completed you may receive a reimbursement if you meet the following requirements.

1. You own or have owned a 2003-2006 model year Cayenne.
2. You have paid to replace the ignition coils for the concern described above. (The concern listed above relates to various problems with the ignition coil that results in illumination of the 'Check Engine' warning indicator. )
3. The repair was performed before the date of this letter and vehicle mileage did not exceed 100,000 miles at the time of replacement.
4. You have an original or legible copy of the paid repair order or invoice showing your name, description of concern, charges of parts/labor, repair date, mileage data, and name and address of the authorized Porsche dealer or licensed repair facility).

On a separate note:
My question is if the concern relates to "various problems with the ignition coil that result in illumination of the "Check Engine" warning indicator" will they change the coils if the check engine light is not on? It goes on to say that should you notice the illumination of this indicator, contact your preferred Porsche dealer without delay. Last time my coils were cracked and repaired under warranty the check engine light was not on.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:59 AM
pakundo is infamous around these parts
Here..

Attached Images  

Last edited by pakundo; 01-01-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: edit
Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Mi2big4u is infamous around these parts
Weel that's a good segway into the question that I think needs to be asked... If this indeed a plastic coolant pipe burst what other things are likely to have been damaged in the process? Say they come back to me and say "Okay, everything is all fixed..." Better yet what should I ask them to check/replace if this was the coolant pipes? I posted earlier because there have been a few times when I went to start her and it wouldn't crank. Second try no problem. I'm assuming I should go after the ignition coils... Anything Else?

Received some new recently from the dealer too.... They said that the problem is a "major leak of some sort" that they "can't see yet" because there are some panels in the way and where it's leaking from is between the engine and the firewall. Does this sound like the coolant pipes? The dealer isn't saying anything specific but without guessing they are saying it could be something really bad to something really minor like a coolant line with a coupling that came off....

Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Sounds like coolant pipes AND these will take out your starter and ruin your transmission seals. Big Bucks. All of which could've been avoided.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Belated as in my usual fashion however loaded with info...

I got my truck back yesterday. Couple of things worth noting:

My truck is an 06 CS with 58k bought from a reputable dealer that is NOT a Porsche dealer however a high end used car dealer that deals in auctions. Found this truck in MS with a clean CARFAX and a LOT of care seen in the CARFAX with biblical visits to his local Porsche dealer

Got the truck off the auction, had it looked over and everything appeared good. Had the truck for 24 hours, snowy and cold night, truck towed out of my driveway with the 4wd faulty error message and sensors requiring replacement. The dealer took great care of me and needed to utilize the local Porsche Dealership to clear the codes.

Had the truck for 3 weeks, everything running great and then this happened. They found this leak "behind the engine" and reported that the coolant leak was from a plastic/rubber pipe from the rear that almost required the engine to be removed to get to....

Questions:
1. How can I tell if the plastic coolant pipes that are on silent recall were the ones that were replaced or if there was another pipe replaced and I still have a ticking time bomb? Anyone have before and after pictures?

2. Are the major problems listed above things that are going to go bad immediately? Are these now ticking time bombs that had their fuses set once the leak began? Is there a way I can check the transmission seals? Since this happened I now have a new problem... My truck now requires two turns of the key to turn it on. Ignition Coils? Starter? Both?

3. The dealer I have been dealing with has been AWESOME. They are not a Porsche dealer however I met with a slew of their head/lead characters and they are committed to making my experience worth while. They are very interested in making my experience and have agreed that if there are any more major failures they will be take the truck back and refund my money. I am not interested in getting my money back but rather keep this truck. I went to them with the specific request of a Cayenne S. I love it and want to keep it for years to come. I want to know, what can I do from this point to safegaurd my CS? Are there any other points of failure that are major issues?

I appreciate everyone's help!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 PM
03LX470 is infamous around these parts
Problem Addressed in the Facelift 2008+ ?

Was this plastic pipe issue addressed by P at the factory in the facelifted versions starting model year 2008?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 03LX470
Was this plastic pipe issue addressed by P at the factory in the facelifted versions starting model year 2008?
Yes, with the new 4.8L engine.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mi2big4u
Belated as in my usual fashion however loaded with info...

I got my truck back yesterday. Couple of things worth noting:

My truck is an 06 CS with 58k bought from a reputable dealer that is NOT a Porsche dealer however a high end used car dealer that deals in auctions. Found this truck in MS with a clean CARFAX and a LOT of care seen in the CARFAX with biblical visits to his local Porsche dealer

Got the truck off the auction, had it looked over and everything appeared good. Had the truck for 24 hours, snowy and cold night, truck towed out of my driveway with the 4wd faulty error message and sensors requiring replacement. The dealer took great care of me and needed to utilize the local Porsche Dealership to clear the codes.

Had the truck for 3 weeks, everything running great and then this happened. They found this leak "behind the engine" and reported that the coolant leak was from a plastic/rubber pipe from the rear that almost required the engine to be removed to get to....

Questions:
1. How can I tell if the plastic coolant pipes that are on silent recall were the ones that were replaced or if there was another pipe replaced and I still have a ticking time bomb? Anyone have before and after pictures?

2. Are the major problems listed above things that are going to go bad immediately? Are these now ticking time bombs that had their fuses set once the leak began? Is there a way I can check the transmission seals? Since this happened I now have a new problem... My truck now requires two turns of the key to turn it on. Ignition Coils? Starter? Both?

3. The dealer I have been dealing with has been AWESOME. They are not a Porsche dealer however I met with a slew of their head/lead characters and they are committed to making my experience worth while. They are very interested in making my experience and have agreed that if there are any more major failures they will be take the truck back and refund my money. I am not interested in getting my money back but rather keep this truck. I went to them with the specific request of a Cayenne S. I love it and want to keep it for years to come. I want to know, what can I do from this point to safegaurd my CS? Are there any other points of failure that are major issues?

I appreciate everyone's help!
Starter. But check transmission seals and check rear manifold for possible coolant leak as well, but that one is a *****. Souonds like they are willing to work wiht you. get the Dec issues of excellence; it has indepth coverage on Cayenne issues.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
guys i'm pretty sure 06 cayennes have the metal pipes out of the factory. they addressed the issue before the 06 models..

Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by canberk
guys i'm pretty sure 06 cayennes have the metal pipes out of the factory. they addressed the issue before the 06 models..
That is bad info. Porsche made no changes until MY2008. All V8's prior to then came with plastic pipes.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by gr8ful
Starter. But check transmission seals and check rear manifold for possible coolant leak as well, but that one is a *****. Souonds like they are willing to work wiht you. get the Dec issues of excellence; it has indepth coverage on Cayenne issues.
This one?

#188 December 2010
  • 2011 911 Turbo S
  • Exclusive: Singer 911
  • 911E Targa Restored
  • 356B Abarth Carrera
  • Petit Le Mans 2010
  • The first Petit
  • Uwe Gemballa
  • Buyers Guide
  • Porsche Tractors
  • 2011 Boxster S
  • Collapsible spare tires
  • Buying used first-generation Cayennes

Old 01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mi2big4u
This one?

#188 December 2010
  • 2011 911 Turbo S
  • Exclusive: Singer 911
  • 911E Targa Restored
  • 356B Abarth Carrera
  • Petit Le Mans 2010
  • The first Petit
  • Uwe Gemballa
  • Buyers Guide
  • Porsche Tractors
  • 2011 Boxster S
  • Collapsible spare tires
  • Buying used first-generation Cayennes
Yes.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:07 PM
cmoore1 is infamous around these parts
Mi2big4u: Ref ?#1--there is no silent recall on plastic coolant pipes that I'm aware of--if the car is under original factory warranty or CPO warranty the dealer will fix for free--otherwise you pay. I asked my service adviser what PCNA's position was on replacing the pipes before they break--since they are a known failure/design issue. His response was that they wouldn't replace them until they break. So my 06 is on CPO until dec of 2011 I guess I'll just wait it out and if the warranty expires before they break then I'll pay an independent shop to replace. Sunset Imports has the kit of replacement parts for $440.
The TSB for coolant tube replacement states "labor time 100TU". Anyone know what this means? 100minutes seems too low I think I read somewhere It's like 41/2 hours.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Big issue, coolant message, lots of smoke...