Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Big issue, coolant message, lots of smoke...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Mi2big4u is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Big issue, coolant message, lots of smoke...

Hey guys,

New to the forum and Porche as well. I recently purchased a used 2006 CS with 57k miles. I have had it for a month and everything seemed ok until today. Everything was acting fine and normal, suddenly as I pulled into my street I got a check coolant message on the dash. Drove 100 feet into my driveway and white smoke began flowing from beneath the hood. Checked underneath the car and found that there is coolant(orange/red fluid) leaking out at a dripping pace. Vehicle towed to the shop...

What type of damage am I looking at? The dealer mentioned it could be anything from a water pump to a blown hose? Says that either way it's not going to be an easy fix. I recently read something about a Porche Silent Recall of some sort???

What did I get myself into???

Old 12-30-2010, 02:57 PM
krist007 is infamous around these parts
coolant pipes, search or look at the sticky's.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
seankrider is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mi2big4u
Hey guys,

New to the forum and Porche as well. I recently purchased a used 2006 CS with 57k miles. I have had it for a month and everything seemed ok until today. Everything was acting fine and normal, suddenly as I pulled into my street I got a check coolant message on the dash. Drove 100 feet into my driveway and white smoke began flowing from beneath the hood. Checked underneath the car and found that there is coolant(orange/red fluid) leaking out at a dripping pace. Vehicle towed to the shop...

What type of damage am I looking at? The dealer mentioned it could be anything from a water pump to a blown hose? Says that either way it's not going to be an easy fix. I recently read something about a Porche Silent Recall of some sort???

What did I get myself into???
I will bet a 2011 Cayenne Turbo that your plastic coolant pipes just ruptured, and the plastic-to-aluminum fix will be $2,500.

You have just been initiated into the Cayenne Fraternity...

Old 12-30-2010, 03:02 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Good luck, and read well my friend......there are DIY's on Rennlist and maybe here......

Old 12-30-2010, 03:04 PM
There is a limited recall, raise hell at P dealership and I bet they cover it because the warranty is transferrable from owners and also if you are sitll CPOd youre fine.

They damn well know its not a water pump or hose.......push for new starter and full update because there are other parts that are just as week.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
cracked coolant tank. $99 part. probably $400 in labor. get the latest cap (ends in 05) while you are there.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM
seankrider is infamous around these parts
Sounds like the dealer has the car, but one way to tell if it's the infamous coolant pipe rupture is to pour a gallon or two of water in the coolant reservoir. If it all ends up on the ground, it's the coolant pipes. Or the t-hoses behind the pipes, which also go bad on Turbos.

The plastic coolant pipes rupture on roughly 100 out of 100 Cayennes. But it's kind of a Cayenne lottery, not knowing when its your turn. Like chicken pox, it's painful and you know it's coming someday, and once you get it you just grimace through it and move on.

If you can change your own brakes, it is a possible DIY over a weekend with the ~$500 kit from Sunset Imports and a few specialized hose-clamp tools. My dealer wanted $3,300. I thought I could use the extra $2,800 more than he could.

It is so common that it's a stickie at the top of Rennlist... Some good tips on there from Porsche service techs who have done it over and over.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Well alrighty then.... I thought I had read something about this and now that I have done specific research on this specific problem I see what you guys all mean. I am at a loss for words. I purchase the truck in the end of October used, had it towed out of my driveway exactly 24 hours after the initial purchase due to Faulty 4wd. One month later I got the truck back(and I mean one month driving a rental, not just elapsed time) it turned out to be a sensor they needed to replace along with some other things. I have had the truck for three weeks, no symptoms throughout and now today boom, this happens.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Markenstein3D is infamous around these parts
i guess as long as it's CPO'd it's ok (i mean, less the hassle of not having the car).. they should atleast give you a P-car loaner.. I got scammed by what I thought was a good buy 3rd party extended/repair warranty... was fortunate to get out of the contract.. anyways.. i'm nekkid right now and always worries every time i drive this car... hope that the coolant pipes don't burst/rapture.. this is my next project next year to replace it with the aluminum pipes..

Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Markenstein3D
i guess as long as it's CPO'd it's ok

New Guy Here... CPO'd means what?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Markenstein3D is infamous around these parts
quick question - will it ever matter if you drive the car less? or more? e.g. i only drive the cayenne for about twice a week - max of 100 miles.. or as what have said, this issue is a hit-and-miss, you know it's coming, you just don't know when :-(

occasionally i get a dipped light warning, then goes away... other than that, everything's ok.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 PM
ClutchnThrottle is infamous around these parts
Stand by for the possible failure of the torque converter seal. My seal failed a week after the coolant pipes let go. The torque converter seal repair was another $1300

Old 12-31-2010, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by Mi2big4u
New Guy Here... CPO'd means what?
Certified Preowned, where it may have a warranty past the 50k P warranty, it could be from a 3rd party or dealer.....it may not cover coolant tubes.

Any P dealer knows about that dang recall, just google Porsche coolant tube recall and print out the form and discuss with your dealer and then attorney.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 AM
snzuloz is infamous around these parts
At a loss for words for you... Man that sucks to have these issues right off the bat after your purchase. What could possibly take one month for your first repair? Parts that hard to get or they really didn't know what was wrong? I sure hope that you will have some coverage for this repair, my CTT"s history showed that the trans seal let go right after the coolant pipes let go as well. Fight them hard on this!

Hopefully soon you will get to enjoy driving it without all the issues.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:13 PM
cmoore1 is infamous around these parts
Cordsig79: What recall? If they break during warranty the dealer will fix but I haven't heard anything about a recall.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Big issue, coolant message, lots of smoke...