Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Can I use an aftermarket amplifier?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
sell it off...

Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 PM
TurboDelaney is infamous around these parts
Happy to do so but I'm then left with factory PCM, aftermarket amp and speakers but no iPod integration...love that Porsche MOST system!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 PM
why exactly would it make the Dension useless by removing the factory amp?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 AM
The Dension ties into the MOST. If I have that disabled I'm not sure the Dension unit can communicate with the head unit.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 AM
joedud is infamous around these parts
While it's good to know there may be other options dealing with the MOST system, I had no other choice. No Porsche dealership anywhere near me wanted to deal with the system and four car audio shops said it wasn't worth the hassle (either because I wasn't buying all of the aftermarket components from them or they just didn't have the experience). Finally, one guy says he has a solution for about $300. I'm really happy with the huge increase in sound quality I now have over the BOSE system, so it worked out great for me. FWIW, my guy offered to put iPod integration in it, but I passed for now because I had to get the car back for a trip and I'm an old-school CD guy anyway.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:38 AM
you are only taking the amp out of the most line... everything else works

they sell the most bypass plugs, or the tech can give you a splice adapter.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:40 AM
what possibly could be a solution for $300? I am a critical listener and even the cheapest solution would be well over $1000 in parts.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Okay, i'm a bit slow but think I've caught up to you. The tech can disable the MOST signal but that impacts the signal to the amp. The Dension and head unit would still communicate and then all I need to due is use the Metra adaptor to enable me to use speaker line outputs into an aftermarket amp. Have I got that all correct?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM
close... basically everything is on an optical loop, that loop knows the position and what component from the most master, which is your pcm. you can add and remove components onto the loop, but the loop needs to be coded for it and maintained in a loop. you have ins and outs, a wake up which also acts as a diagnostic line... double redundency as the optical wakes up each module on the loop.

now if you just take out the amp without changing the coding of the loop and the gateway, you will get a system error every time you turn the radio on... so I advise changing the coding with a piwis

it is the same as adding satellite to a cayenne or a sports car with a PCM2 ( I have an extra XM tuner if anyone is interested)

you will need to optically bypass the amp, and the system could ccare less if you leave the amp in or disconnect it and use it as a boat anchor at that point.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:16 AM
also a side note... I am willing to trade the satellite tuner for a working 3g or 3gs iPhone... mine met traffic and lost...

I'd tell you to caqll me, but no phone... and i am not reverting back to my old phones or getting a new one.... i loved my iphone....

Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 AM
sorry about the spelling in the other posts... just got the spell check to work in the new Internet explorer 9 beta

Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the detailed response. I think I'm almost there. For bypassing the amp, you indicate there is an optical bypass plug, where can I get one of those?

So, in summary:
Use PIWIS to change the coding to indicate no amp.
Use metra plug to enable speaker line outputs to new amp.
Use optic bypass plug to close the loop (assuming this is done in the loop after the Dension system (in order to keep the Dension unit in the loop).
Use the oem amp and CDC as boat anchors.

Sorry to test your patience on this but I'm learning a lot!

Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
you got it... you can probably sell off the changer and amp though, some vehicles are not having a warranty and would need replacement parts cheap

the dension came with a bypass plug for the changer I believe, if not contact navtv to purchase one if you cant find locally

hope it works out for you...

BTW, when the tech takes the amp out, have the harness available with a test speaker to ensure it will work... like I mentioned before, I heard of someone saying they could not get the speaker outputs to enable... but then again, I am assuming it was the person working the piwis

good luck

Old 01-08-2011, 01:15 PM
joedud is infamous around these parts
All I meant by a $300 solution was the cost of an installed cleansweep. I don't know if a summing device is always required and so you could add another couple of hundred dollars for that I suppose. I probably got a deal on the labor, but my only point was that this approach isn't thousands of dollars and it worked really well in my application. I wish I had known of this other option and I certainly would have considered it, but I was happy just to find someone willing to work with the MOST system at all so I could dump the BOSE. I should add that the only other places that quoted me on the JL solution was hundreds of dollars more for the same, so I probably was just fortunate to find my guy and his supplier.

Last edited by joedud; 01-08-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:56 PM
joe, the cleansweep would require an amp after that and other components, what was the total bill?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can I use an aftermarket amplifier?