Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Dension GW500 +BTA1500 bluetooth - my expeirence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FlyYellow
i wish i could get my mic/speaker volumes setup correct. my quality ranges from barely tolerable to sucks.
What phone? (It makes a difference..) Incoming? Outgoing? Both?

And have you tried setting them up? I used an answering machine on my land line to determine how I was doing.. it took some playing around since the setting numbers are NOT linear (13 isn't necessarily louder then 12..)

Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 PM
FlyYellow is infamous around these partsFlyYellow is infamous around these parts
i've got an iphone 4s. i didn't realize they weren't linear.... hmmm...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 AM
IvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to beholdIvanRaide is a splendid one to behold
I also have a iPhone4S and have found mic level 8 to work the best for me, but SIRI is still terrible, but other people on the phone claim they hear me well .... I am curious what other people have their iPhones at, (since trying all combinations is nearly impossible!)

As for voice dialing, I built something to make it work, but its a hack ... I've listed below, as for Android you would have to look for a similar method.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-command.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...bluetooth.html

and this was just something interesting...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...0-success.html

(Note: I just noticed in the first link that all of Cartronics posts were pulled, makes for some strange reading conversations!)

Last edited by IvanRaide; 04-03-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 AM
Yodaman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FlyYellow
i've got an iphone 4s. i didn't realize they weren't linear.... hmmm...
I installed the newer Dension 500s on my 2007 CTT. I have it at the back beside the changer. I got it working but it seems unstable. It hangs once in a while and does not display tracks and I have difficulty navigating the menu because its inconsistent. Would you know what's causing it to operate erratically?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Yodaman
I installed the newer Dension 500s on my 2007 CTT. I have it at the back beside the changer. I got it working but it seems unstable. It hangs once in a while and does not display tracks and I have difficulty navigating the menu because its inconsistent. Would you know what's causing it to operate erratically?
Hmmm... 2007 CTT - one of the rarest models in the US.. is this the same as the 2006 in the US?

By "newer" GW500 - am I correct in assuming this is one with BlueTooth built into the GW500? If so - it's a bit different from mine, but some ideas anyway:

1. What are you using for a source?

If it's an iPod, I've found my iPod is sometimes a bit slow to wake up when I start the truck after not using it for a bit, and no tracks display and the menu doesn't show them even if I fiddle with it until the iPod finally awakens. Not a big deal since it's a $20 iPod I bought off Craig's List that is dedicated to the truck, and I know has a wonky battery, so it has to receive a bit of a charge before it comes to life.

If it's a USB stick - have you run the Dension "Gateway Indexer" on the stick from your PC before connecting the stick to the GW500 interface? If not - the GW500 will try to create the index needed for the tracks/music/artists/etc info that is displayed on the PCM. If you have a lot of music (like my 2000+ tracks), this can take a while, and the GW500 won't be particularly responsive while doing the indexing. Once the indexes are created (and they are recreated whenever the music on the stick is added to or tracks removed), the response should be almost instantaneous.

I'm not certain how well it works or quickly it works with streaming BlueTooth audio (which it will do with my HTC Android phone), so I can't speak to the response speed or display speed.. but I know it works since once or twice I switched to that.

2. Have you checked the Dension support at www.dension.com? You do have to register to access the good stuff, but there is the ability to ask questions of the people who made it, and they've been quite responsive in my experience, usually a 1 day turnaround for answers. There is also a forum of sorts and a FAQ that is worth browsing.

3. Check the dip-switch settings on the GW500. The diagrams can be a tad confusing (at least to me) and it took me a bit of time to get everything set correctly.

4. Other then that - check all your fiber connections and make certain they are solidly clipped into the fiber holders and the holders into the receptacle on the GW500. I'm assuming you didn't remove the PCM so that end should be fine.. do check the fibers for any sharp bends. they don't like sharp bends at all (anything less then a 3" radius is probably too small.)

HTH,

Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 PM
It's a European model, face lifted. Yes, the newer Dension model has the Bluetooth built in already. I use an iPod touch as the source. Everytime I get in the car I hear it turning on or charging. Does this mean its not hooked up to a constant power? The dension is wired from behind beside the changer and gets its source from the lighter plug source. All fiber connections seem to be okay since the music plays. The problem is more navigating through the menus. Thanks

Old 10-23-2012, 01:58 PM
It's a European model, face lifted. Yes, the newer Dension model has the Bluetooth built in already. I use an iPod touch as the source. Everytime I get in the car I hear it turning on or charging. Does this mean its not hooked up to a constant power? The dension is wired from behind beside the changer and gets its source from the lighter plug source. All fiber connections seem to be okay since the music plays. The problem is more navigating through the menus. Thanks
The Dension unit goes into a standby mode after about 10 minutes of key-off, door closed

This can be confirmed by looking at the LED on the switch in/out assembly.. the LED will go out when the system goes into standby mode. I don't believe it charges the iPod via the iPod connector when in standby. Your newer system may be slightly different, since on the earlier model GW500, a separate power plug was used for certain iPhones - the circuit in the GW500 wasn't capable of supplying enough current to charge them (it charges an iPod classic just fine, I haven't tried hooking my iPod Touch (g3) up to see if it will charge.

Anyway - quick answer - I believe the charging is switched off when the GW500 goes into sleep mode.

What problem are you experiencing with the menus?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 AM
What I'm experiencing is that navigating through the menu is not consistent. Sometimes I can access certain menus and the next time I can't. Sometimes I can get to the playlist and sometimes I'm stuck with just one playlist and can't get out. The system sometimes hangs and I can't see track name or list. Thanks

Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 AM
ukayenne is infamous around these parts
What I'm experiencing is that navigating through the menu is not consistent. Sometimes I can access certain menus and the next time I can't. Sometimes I can get to the playlist and sometimes I'm stuck with just one playlist and can't get out. The system sometimes hangs and I can't see track name or list. Thanks
I had the GW500 in my last Cayenne and my Mrs. has one in her Mini. Always find them excellent. - even if they do take some getting used to.

Apologies if this has been asked or answered before but have you tried downloading and re-flashing the GW to the latest firmware? That can fix strange behaviour. Also watch the settings in disk 6 to make sure it's not set up to be using the ipod GUI and in stead use the head unit to control the iPod properly.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:30 AM
If you're stuck in a playlist - select an artist on your ipod that has just one track on the iPod. Play that through to the end and when the head unit says "STOP" press the forward arrow as if to skip to the next track and the ipod will leave the playlist and start playing all tracks at random again.

I had a few similar problems to these when I had a dodgy iphone cable as well - might be worth trying a new one.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 AM
I can access the menus but sometimes when I use the car again I can no longer access them. It's not consistent. It also hangs sometimes meaning can't see the track list and can't go to another playlist. It's quite strange.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 AM
If it's not the cable and it's got the latest firmware then it sounds a bit dodgy then I think.

I've had 3 GW500's and they've all been very good. Have you tried a different iPod?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 AM
I will try updating firmware and try using a different iPod.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Even if you have the latest firmware - reinstall it. I fixed a wonky phone linking problem that way. Dension was quite interested that it fixed it.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Got it working okay now after reinstalling firmware. However' is there a need to reprogram or activate Bluetooth on the computer. I get a phone error message every now and then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension GW500 +BTA1500 bluetooth - my expeirence