Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

"whining" sound when car is rolling..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:35 PM
lnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
I noticed this on my brand new CTT, mostly when manuevering slowly in a busy parking lot at under 5mph. The dealer explained that its the air pumps for the air suspension constantly adjusting, also since I have PDCC that adds to it.
This may apply to your issues also, since we all notice the same thing then maybe its a possible reason.
That's kind of what it sounds like to me - when accelerating during the first 1-2 mph, the suspension loads and making that sound under that initial acceleration load as the weight shifts from the front.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Markenstein3D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by spinny02
3D

Your Cayenne is keeping you busy ! Sorry that you have had so issues .
honestly, from the time i got this (oct 2010), only thing "repaired/replaced" is the evap canister, oil change (+ 1 qrt of mobil 1 2 weeks ago).. additional install of fabspeed cat bypass pipes.. keeps me paranoid though since i do not have extended warranty insurance.. saving money for something (knock on wood)..

peace of mind is priceless though.. posting questions, replies from fellow members here and sharing their thoughts and similar experiences kind of like gives me some (peace)..

when i drive it, i drive it like i stole it

Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 PM
PianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud of
I have the exact same problem! Doesn't happen all the time, but it always happens when I'm pulling up to a valet stand or some other embarrassing moment.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:42 PM
elcayano is infamous around these parts
Own a V6 2008, same whining, no air suspension. Had this happen to me early on when car had only 15k miles. Dealer says its dust in the braking system, left the car at dealer, sound went away and then came back shortly thereafter.

Changed brake pads at 20K miles (included in free maint package) and the noise went away for about 12K miles. Last week at 34K miles, noise is starting again.

Very frustrating to say the least; how can such an expensive car have such a weird a** issue so early on. When car replacement time comes around, I'm getting a japanese SUV and a used caymanS. Done with these german wannabe SUVs and their annoying random issues!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:59 PM
BSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the rough
I took my 08' GTS in for it today! I do not have high hopes that they will fix the problem though. They NEVER seem to be able to recreate the problem when I am not there and when I pulled up today of course it was not making the noise. I really have no confidence in any service departments anymore. On my last 10+ cars they seem to only fix the issue 50% of the time. Yesterday it was ungodly loud. My best friend was riding in the car for the first time and asked me "What the hell is that"?!?! He asked me if I got a free toaster and a bowl of soup with my purchase? He was literarily laughing out load the noise was so apparent. Not exactly the reaction I was looking for. I will let everyone know if they come up with anything!

Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Bruin Pcar is infamous around these parts
BSB, let us know what you find out!

BSB, anxious to hear what your dealer says. It sounds like folks are talking about two different sounds:

1) whine from engine bay when rolling before acceleration
2) squeak from rear wheels after releasing brake and before acceleration (when car is rolling) - applying brake quickly makes sound go away.

Not sure if you are hearing one or both, but please let us know!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:21 PM
BSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the rough
Ok so the verdict is....... they fixed nothing! I got the call that the Fuel Pump was replaced, witch I knew was the re-call. The technician explained to me "that is the reason you are hearing the whining from the bottom of the car and it is now all taken care of". I told him strait up I do not think this will be the solution and he reiterated "the whining will be gone". I said I hope you are right. Well you know the story... I get off the freeway and stop at the first stop light and low and behold it is still there loud and proud. I call my service advisor and he answers the phone uh oh? He apologized and said bring it in whenever you are available and we will give you a free upgraded Porsche rental car... So I wish I had an answer for my car and for you fellows. To be continued... Honestly what I expected.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:42 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
if you can record it and post it so we can hear it.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
This will be my next step. It's been raining for two days so I have not been able to take video yet. I will keep you posted.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold
I've heard the same whining noise when engine cold and rolling start or at low speeds. I have a 2011 hybrid, no air suspension. I thought it was the electric motor kicking in. I just roll up the windows and crank up the Burmester.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 AM
bmwm506 is infamous around these parts
It is the Cardan going bad

Old 10-16-2011, 01:34 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
We have the same issue on my wife's 2006 Cayenne S. The car has 70K miles on it however the noisse started many, many miles earlier. The sound does not happen every day, it will modulate with speed, and stop when car is stopped. Amazingly the Porsche tech even heard the noise and had no idea what it was. I have read on other forums of some sort of shaft issue, so far just speculation since there has been no confirmed fix. So far just annoying.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 PM
bartown is infamous around these parts
I also have a noise while rolling, can be heard better next to walls. I know its not the driveshaft cause i just replace it..... sounds like the brakes but if i step on the brake pedal the noise is still there its more like something is rubbing making a scraping or metal to metal rubbing noise.... i have a 06 ctts with 95000 miles

Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmwm506
It is the Cardan going bad
In many cases, even in the brand new CTT's like mine, the noise is coming from the air suspension, PDCC, and other suspension stuff. Its mostly noticeable at low speeds like in a parking lot. It sounds bad but is normal.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
I think I have a similar issue..but its only at speed and with the accelerator depressed, once I lift off..it goes away...sounds fuel related and it's a very faint whine, but I hear it none the less. It might be the fuel pump.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "whining" sound when car is rolling..