Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

"whining" sound when car is rolling..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Nader is infamous around these parts
Guess I am not the only once only mine does it all the time. Any updates on this?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 PM
mark4ton is infamous around these parts
not sure if anyone has posted this but check your power steering fluid. mine was making the noise and it went away after i topped up. dealer was giving me the stories i read about in the first page as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Skibum2.0 is infamous around these parts
My 09 GTS started making this noise a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was a pebble that got stuck in the rear brake pad but the noise won't go away. I only hear it going 1-5mph with my foot off the brake. Soon as I depress the brake pedal, the noise is gone.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM
TrackTimePlz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Skibum2.0
My 09 GTS started making this noise a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was a pebble that got stuck in the rear brake pad but the noise won't go away. I only hear it going 1-5mph with my foot off the brake. Soon as I depress the brake pedal, the noise is gone.

Ur sure this is a whining, not a squeal, creak or scraping sound?

Does the sound change if u put the car into Neutral?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I am 99% certain it's from the driver rear brake. The noise occurs in neutral. The only time I don't hear the noise when under 5mph is when I touch the brake pedal.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM
TrackTimePlz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Skibum2.0
I am 99% certain it's from the driver rear brake. The noise occurs in neutral. The only time I don't hear the noise when under 5mph is when I touch the brake pedal.

The parking brake on these things are prone to sticking. Try engaging it fully, and popping it back out a few times

Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 AM
My GTS has a manual transmission so I use the parking brake every day. I'm going to pop the wheel off this weekend and see if I can find anything.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Patrick Manning is infamous around these parts
Hey folks. I have a 2005 CTT with 80000 miles and have had the dreaded whining issue as well. I just had my cardan shaft replaced, and it seems as though the issue is better, but the whine is still there from time to time. It has only ever occurred when accelerating, mainly from a stand still. You can hear a whine/moan and a faint vibration in the steering wheel... ideas if it isn't the cardan shaft? Could it be the tranny or front diff is going bad? Thanks!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM
labedra is infamous around these parts
Hey I got the same issue "whining noise", 1-5 mph, while breaking or accelerating slowly, usually when car is cold, on my 2006 Cayenne Turbo. This is random and doesn't happen all the time. I can tell it's not the wheel bearing by driving the car in circles left and right on a parking lot and it is not a grinding noise but a whining noise. I'll try to record it today and see if it happens. Someone has to know what this is, I know couple of members posted that this is normal, but I disagree, and I hope it's something stupid and not the transmission. Oh ya it sounds like this "whe whe whe whee wheee" and stops when I come to a complete stop :/.

Last edited by labedra; 03-24-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by labedra
Hey I got the same issue "whining noise", 1-5 mph, while breaking or accelerating slowly, usually when car is cold, on my 2006 Cayenne Turbo. This is random and doesn't happen all the time. I can tell it's not the wheel bearing by driving the car in circles left and right on a parking lot and it is not a grinding noise but a whining noise. I'll try to record it today and see if it happens. Someone has to know what this is, I know couple of members posted that this is normal, but I disagree, and I hope it's something stupid and not the transmission.
Ya I wish I knew what it was. Dealer was useless, replaced the Cardan Shaft after I asked them to but it has done little to solve the issue. They tried to tell me I should expect that when there is 450hp going through the drive train... what a cop out!
I haven`t had any further issues while breaking but the whining is annoying and I still get the faint vibration in the steering wheel at the same time whilst accelerating. Not sure what else to do...

Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Yes it's annoying when you drive a car that cost over 100K new, and hear whining noises that dealer can't even diagnose, but I'll take it apart piece by piece if I have to.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Yes it's annoying when you drive a car that cost over 100K new, and hear whining noises that dealer can't even diagnose, but I'll take it apart piece by piece if I have to.
If I was savvy enough I would do the same... If you happen to figure anything out let me know will ya? Only think I can think of is the tranny, the front diff or the transfer case. Not sure which one is more likely to cause vibration in the steering wheel though

Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM
As promised here is the video trying to diagnose this POS. I hope we are talking about the same thing.

if you have or had the same issue post here what it was. In the mean time I will try to do my own diagnosis. I also started hearing some ticking noise in the rear... at 1:34 tick tick tick, sounds like a relay, or cd changer? clear sound of wining at 2:50.

Last edited by labedra; 03-24-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
As promised here is the video trying to diagnose this POS. I hope we are talking about the same thing.

if you have or had the same issue post here what it was. In the mean time I will try to do my own diagnosis. I also started hearing some ticking noise in the rear... at 1:34 tick tick tick, sounds like a relay, or cd changer?
Hmmm... not the same sound as mine, mine is more of a lower moan... kind of like the sound a whale makes ha ha, but a little more subtle than yours. Yours almost sounds like a more natural turbo whine, though you dont normally hear the turbo in these so not too sure...

Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM
stormy69 is infamous around these parts
my 06 ctts whines as well, 83k miles. sounds to me like the transmission though the ps pump could be a possibility as well. same as another post, i really only hear it when the window/s are down. definitely not brake related in my case and the cardan shaft would be highly unlikely imo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "whining" sound when car is rolling..