Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

"whining" sound when car is rolling..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by labedra
As promised here is the video trying to diagnose this POS. I hope we are talking about the same thing.
I watched and listened to your video. Since the sound is happening when braking or at low speeds, I think your brake pads maybe dragging on the rotor. Either the pads are low and you have metal contact or possibly a bad caliper.

I would try to jack it up and rotate the wheel by hand to see if you can replicate the sound.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM
labedra is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all replies, I was thinking about the caliper too, or maybe even the emergency brake because it doesn't go back when you pull the release handle, so I manually pull it back. I'll check this week and post back on what I find.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 AM
aviduser is infamous around these parts
Hi there

VERY FIRST POST

I seem to have the identical sound to labedra, I have a 2008 Cayenne GTS with 80,000 KMs on the clock, I Just brought it second hand and noticed this noise on the second week of owning it. Does anyone have anymore info labedra have you heard anything from the dealer? would love some more info.

I am going to try the power steering top up tonight on the way home and might get an oil change while I am at it.

Previous owners took care of the car and used it mainly for the school run. Any help would be appreciated and hello to all.

Oh I just read about the brake pad sorry, I have noticed that the pads on the front are unevenly worn they have a small radius to them, I am guessing it might be time for pads and rotors despite not having any warning lights.

Last edited by aviduser; 07-02-2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
hadydaddy is infamous around these parts
aviduser, did you top the steering fluid did the noise go away, i do have the whining sound when driving steadily on the highway not at high speed though.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:27 PM
OK so long time no post.... lol anyway my problem finally was fixed after my drive shaft started wobbling all over the place and I replace the support that holds the mid bearing. After I did that my noises wend bye bye. I bought vertex center driveshaft support bearing bushing, spent $500 but well worth it it's still holding up. I also replaced the Flex Disc while i was at it and all good for now. I drove over 5000 miles across US and no problems or noises yet, Knock on wood!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ics-video.html

Also tested this from 0 - 150 MPH pedal to the metal and still held up so you be the judge.

Last edited by labedra; 10-30-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
FYI - I also did my brakes like 2 months ago, just brake pads as the rotors were still within spec. Bought Stoptech performance pads and bed them in.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:07 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Its probably the brakes "hill hold" feature. If you notice you can almost take your foot off the brake pedal at a stoplight and you get little or no movement. Not to worry

Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM
DRYRUNNER is infamous around these parts
I noticed a whine when at idle or moving slowly. Had the shaft and bearing replaced and the whine has stopped. 2006 Cayenne S

Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Have the same whining noise. The service rep was able to reproduce it. Told me he knows the noise and has seen it before. I was told that this noise is caused by rear rotors - more specifically worn rear rotors when the lip on the outside starts to form. He says that it is touching the pad and makes that noise even after the pads were replaced.

However, I was advised from changing out the rotors since there was still life left in them. He told me that once the rotors are replaced and if the noise is still there - which it shouldn't be - then they will research it further, but I was assured it was the rear rotors. I have around 43K miles on my car and it is under extended warranty, so we weren't worried about doing repairs if were necessary.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:29 PM
mgbrillo is infamous around these parts
not the rear rotors.. i've replaces all my rotors + new pads and the sound is still there.. leaning towards the bearing + shaft.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:42 PM
elc32955 is infamous around these parts
I had my 955 into Vertex's facility in Miami (Coral Gables) yesterday for the center driveshaft bearing support replacement. While there, Wayne with Vertex test drove it and did notice some noise a few times, but we couldn't quite pin down the cause during the drive. He suggested that the fluid be changed on the front & rear diff as well as the transfer case, also my rear brakes are getting ready to trip the sensor for pad change. Wayne did make reference to the fact that the fluids were a little thin from the factory. I'd already done the transmission fluid a few months ago when I first picked it up.

Also, if anyone was thinking of paying Vertex to do the bearing support in-shop, cost was $844.23 out the door. That included the kit, labor (they charge 2.5 hrs @ $120/hr) and sales tax.

Eric