Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

CS versus CTT - Help Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Matrix is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PaulW
Well, I have an 09 GTS and I'm very happy with it. With a few mods you can have 450hp (bypass pipes, intake, exhaust, ECU and SprintBooster) and it will handle great and have reasonable performance. I don't have a TT but even the TT will not be super quick and nimble. This is an SUV after all (albeit an incredibly performing SUV). I have 2 other cars that satisfy my "need for speed" so I wanted my daily driver to do everything well (handle well, look good, sound good, and be able to carry me and my companions in comfort in any weather, etc.) so I'm now on my second Cayenne (had an 04 CS and now an 09 GTS). But thats just me and my opinion based upon my wants and desires. To each his own. Get whichever you prefer. Life is short so enjoy it while you can. I drive my other cars hard and enjoy them (rather than store them so the next owner can have a low mileage, pristine hand me down). Next time I might step up to the TT.
Sorry those mods might net you +15hp-20hp, in real life on a NA engine pipes are about +5hp, intake +5hp, exhaust 0hp, and tune is about 15-20hp with intake included. You'll need to be on the bottle to break 430hp in a NA cayenne. Vendors claims of HP on power adders are always way high on NA vehicles and dont just stack, meaning you dont just add up the claimed gaines on different parts to get your 450. Dyno your cayenne before and after if you want the harsh truth.

I was on the fence about trading my 08 Turbo for a new S until i drove it. My turbo was lights out faster than the new S after 40mph. I say go turbo if you can afford it, when your at a stop light next to a turbo you will wish you had one.

If i was in your shoes i would buy a used 2010 TurboS so you get the speed at teh cost of a new S. Yes the S is newer by one year and looks better inside but the Turbo S is faster and looks much better outside IMO.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Markenstein3D is infamous around these parts
When I started to plan to get the Cayenne, I was happy with the V6.. almost got it (2004 model) but wasn't happy with how the dealer priced my trade-in... the year after, I test drove an "S" (2004), I didn't look back at the V6, but never got to get the CS... 2 years later, I test drove a Turbo (2005), I said this is it.. not comparable to CS, for some reason my wife kept on telling me not to get it.. last year, I test drove a 2006 Turbo, and 2006 Turbo-S.. boom! that's it.. I'm getting the Turbo S...

Lesson of the story (and I'd assume it's the same "improvements" from a V6, to CS, to Turbo to Turbo S in any Cayenne year models).. Once you drive the top end, you'll not going to look back.. If you decide to get the CS, DO NOT ever think of testing the Turbo - power-wise you'll regret it ;-)

Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 PM
PaulW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Matrix
Sorry those mods might net you +15hp-20hp, in real life on a NA engine pipes are about +5hp, intake +5hp, exhaust 0hp, and tune is about 15-20hp with intake included. You'll need to be on the bottle to break 430hp in a NA cayenne. Vendors claims of HP on power adders are always way high on NA vehicles and dont just stack, meaning you dont just add up the claimed gaines on different parts to get your 450. Dyno your cayenne before and after if you want the harsh truth.
I don't think we're far off from each other but I think you're a bit low. The bypass pipes have been dynoed to net about 12 hp and the ECU is good for about 20 more on the dyno, so thats about 32 and the intake would be about 5 more for about 37. Add that to the 405 in the GTS and you'll have about 442 and then the SprintBooster adds some throttle response (but no hp). That extra 37 hp and throttle response from the SprintBooster is really noticeable, especially in my manual tranny GTS, which is all that I was looking for (a little more "snap" off the line and a little more exhaust note). It is an SUV, after all. If I get an urge for some adrenaline rush, I pull out one of my 600+ hp (yes, they've been dynoed) stangs and go for a little cruise (the stangs are in a completely different category from a CTT or CTTS in terms of acceleration). If I was only going to have one vehicle, I might get a CTT or CTTS but in my case, I prefer to have the CGTS and my other vehicles.

Attached Images   
Old 05-20-2011, 11:39 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Nice pony cars

Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 AM
mteddylee is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Markenstein3D
When I started to plan to get the Cayenne, I was happy with the V6.. almost got it (2004 model) but wasn't happy with how the dealer priced my trade-in... the year after, I test drove an "S" (2004), I didn't look back at the V6, but never got to get the CS... 2 years later, I test drove a Turbo (2005), I said this is it.. not comparable to CS, for some reason my wife kept on telling me not to get it.. last year, I test drove a 2006 Turbo, and 2006 Turbo-S.. boom! that's it.. I'm getting the Turbo S...

Lesson of the story (and I'd assume it's the same "improvements" from a V6, to CS, to Turbo to Turbo S in any Cayenne year models).. Once you drive the top end, you'll not going to look back.. If you decide to get the CS, DO NOT ever think of testing the Turbo - power-wise you'll regret it ;-)
You are absolutely correct! don't test drive it unless you plan on buying it. I am glad the Turbo S is not out yet... otherwise there'll be extra dent on my wallet!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 AM
Originally Posted by pepper09tt
Nice pony cars
Thanks! I'm a long time Ford guy (owned the 69 Mach 1 for almost 20 years and been modding it the whole time) and I had to buy the KR when it came out as it was a very limited run of a true pre-title Shelby which they haven't made since the 60s and won't ever again. I enjoy them for what they are, pure American muscle, and my CGTS for what it is, an incredible SUV!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM
mikesea is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the considerate advice and comments on deciding between the CS and CTT. I did the only responsible thing to do at this junction. Yes…ditch work for the afternoon and take the all mighty back to back test drive. And, what a great way to spend the afternoon!

I tried to do it as fair as possible and drove both in sports mode on the same route, which was long enough to get a good feel. Both the CS and CTT had 21 inch wheels and both did NOT have any performance options (no PDCC, etc) except for Air Suspension. I’m super lucky to have a dealer fairly close by that has these vehicles. I know this isn’t an option for many other prospective buyers in other locales and that is unfortunate given how helpful it is to drive one model right after the other.

I drove the CS first, of course. My thoughts: very responsive, super quick (when floored it really moves…wow), loved the engine growl, felt nimble and light and great handling. Absolutely loved it! Of course the interior, leather, pano roof, etc. is impeccable. Not another SUV like this on the planet. Only complaint is ride a bit firm (not sure if that was the 21s or sports mode setting or both). Overall though an incredible vehicle. I have always enjoyed the commanding view that any SUV affords but to have all the performance too is amazing. I am sold, sold, sold!

I should have walked away at this point!

Then I got in the CTT for round 2. Holy crap! Oh F&$%!!!! What a monster this is. You can just feel the power right through your bones. Flooring this beast sends you barreling down the road with a **** eating grin plastered on your face. This is a whole different driving experience.

One would think I would now be completely sold on the CTT. Well…I am but still having a very hard time justifying the extra $30k and the simple fact that 90% of the time I would never have the need for the performance in my daily commute with all the traffic and tight speed limits (all city driving for me). But, man it sure feels good.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 PM
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ubstitute.html

this might help! extra 30k to be extra safe and have a piece of mind when you make a left turn =)

Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 PM
wishman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikesea

Then I got in the CTT for round 2. Holy crap! Oh F&$%!!!! What a monster this is. You can just feel the power right through your bones. Flooring this beast sends you barreling down the road with a **** eating grin plastered on your face. This is a whole different driving experience.

One would think I would now be completely sold on the CTT. Well…I am but still having a very hard time justifying the extra $30k and the simple fact that 90% of the time I would never have the need for the performance in my daily commute with all the traffic and tight speed limits (all city driving for me). But, man it sure feels good.
You probably wouldn't need the performance 99.9% of the time. But if it gives you a **** eating grin when you drive it, then maybe you ought to go for it. $30K isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things to give you an awesome driving experience.

You only live once!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 AM
hrd
hrd is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the considerate advice and comments on deciding between the CS and CTT. I did the only responsible thing to do at this junction. Yes…ditch work for the afternoon and take the all mighty back to back test drive. And, what a great way to spend the afternoon!

I tried to do it as fair as possible and drove both in sports mode on the same route, which was long enough to get a good feel. Both the CS and CTT had 21 inch wheels and both did NOT have any performance options (no PDCC, etc) except for Air Suspension. I’m super lucky to have a dealer fairly close by that has these vehicles. I know this isn’t an option for many other prospective buyers in other locales and that is unfortunate given how helpful it is to drive one model right after the other.

I drove the CS first, of course. My thoughts: very responsive, super quick (when floored it really moves…wow), loved the engine growl, felt nimble and light and great handling. Absolutely loved it! Of course the interior, leather, pano roof, etc. is impeccable. Not another SUV like this on the planet. Only complaint is ride a bit firm (not sure if that was the 21s or sports mode setting or both). Overall though an incredible vehicle. I have always enjoyed the commanding view that any SUV affords but to have all the performance too is amazing. I am sold, sold, sold!

I test drove a Turbo with 20" wheels and did not feel the ride was firm at all. The sales manager later told me it was in comfort mode during the test drive. The S with 18" wheels and no air suspension that I drove right afterwards definitely had a firmer ride. What impressed me the most was how the Turbo had much better steering response and handling than the S from the large wheels and PDDC and PTV Plus, even in comfort mode. That it also had a much better ride than the S for the uneven roads around here made it a no-brainer to equip a Cayenne with 20" or 21" wheels and air suspension and all the performance options. Whether it would be an S or a Turbo did not matter so much. A lot of overcrowded roads for me, too.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Forced induction: There is no substitute. I enjoyed reading your comparison. If you are the kinda person who wishes that you had a CTT then you will be making a big mistake by going for the CS. I just went to the garage and kissed my Cayenne S. It is all about what makes you happy. Nice review BTW.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Great comparison. So, here's my $0.02 (for what its worth): I don't pretend to know your situation (family, other vehicles or financial) but if the extra $30k won't impact your standard of living and you like the extra performance of the TT, then go get it!! As I said before, Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hrd
I test drove a Turbo with 20" wheels and did not feel the ride was firm at all. The sales manager later told me it was in comfort mode during the test drive. The S with 18" wheels and no air suspension that I drove right afterwards definitely had a firmer ride. What impressed me the most was how the Turbo had much better steering response and handling than the S from the large wheels and PDDC and PTV Plus, even in comfort mode. That it also had a much better ride than the S for the uneven roads around here made it a no-brainer to equip a Cayenne with 20" or 21" wheels and air suspension and all the performance options. Whether it would be an S or a Turbo did not matter so much.
+1 ... I could not believe how firm the ride was in a '11 CS on 18" wheels (no air suspension).

The notion on the boards that the new Cayenne's ride like cars, while the old ones drive like "trucks" are hogwash when you factor in the air ride of the Turbo.

My '08 Cayenne with with 21" wheels and air suspension is so soft that you don't notice many road irregularities.

So I am definitely pleasantly spoiled.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by PaulW
Great comparison. So, here's my $0.02 (for what its worth): I don't pretend to know your situation (family, other vehicles or financial) but if the extra $30k won't impact your standard of living and you like the extra performance of the TT, then go get it!! As I said before, Life is short, enjoy it while you can.
here is how the 30k extra will not sound as bad.

factor in the discount lets say 7-8% off MSRP the 30k now is only 27.6k

Old 05-24-2011, 07:23 PM
mikesea is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mteddylee
here is how the 30k extra will not sound as bad.

factor in the discount lets say 7-8% off MSRP the 30k now is only 27.6k
It appears I can always count on you to 'massage' the numbers and do some creative accounting for me. Excellent!

Originally Posted by hrd
I test drove a Turbo with 20" wheels and did not feel the ride was firm at all. The sales manager later told me it was in comfort mode during the test drive. The S with 18" wheels and no air suspension that I drove right afterwards definitely had a firmer ride. What impressed me the most was how the Turbo had much better steering response and handling than the S from the large wheels and PDDC and PTV Plus, even in comfort mode. That it also had a much better ride than the S for the uneven roads around here made it a no-brainer to equip a Cayenne with 20" or 21" wheels and air suspension and all the performance options. Whether it would be an S or a Turbo did not matter so much. A lot of overcrowded roads for me, too.
Curious to know what mode (Sports, Comfort, etc.) everyone usually drives their Cayenne with on a day to day basis???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CS versus CTT - Help Please