Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

another coolant pipe explosion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM
sinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud of
another coolant pipe explosion

happened to me today. Knew it as soon as it happened. Pulled over into a gravel parking lot and watched her drain. Towed immediately to 3zero3 motorsports in Wheatridge to get the work done as well as a tune while they have it. Excited to see the results with the straight pipe exhaust

Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Make sure they replace the small plastic T-pipe while they are in there. It was also recommended by my dealer when this repair was done to replace the starter since the coolant pours all over it when this happens. For me, it also took out my transmission seals in the bell housing... hopefully you are luckier than I was.

David

Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Jeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the roughJeff SD is a jewel in the rough
Also have them check your starter and torque converter for seal damage.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:50 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Smile

Originally Posted by Jeff SD
Also have them check your starter and torque converter for seal damage.
1. Starters get wet all the time. 99% of them are located on the bottom of cars near the back of the engine and get blasted with every road chemical in the world. The starter should survive a little coolant fine. Think some of these dealers recommending the change have not really thought this through or are just trying to make some extra coin.

2. No way to examine the TC seal without pilling the transmission unfortunately. Best that can be done is a thorough rinsing and hope for the best.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
seankrider is infamous around these parts
I agree with Cole on both points - my starter was submerged for a while and car wouldn't start, but starts fine to this day. David's right about the torque converter seal - but you can't get to it short of pulling the transmission I believe. Best advice re: the seals is to flush it immediately with tons of water to wash away lingering coolant.

David's also right on the tee-pipes on a CTT. Make sure the indy does them while they're in there (sounds like 3zero3 probably knows this). Otherwise, when the tee does fail, it's all the same work to disconnect everything to get at it.

So... everything they said! And keep your receipts... hint-hint.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
sinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud of
this is the kit I ended up going with

http://www.porscheoemparts.com/partl...gid=7378&tab=1

then 3zero3 motorsports will fill in anything missing, etc. I heard they do fantastic work. Still debating them vs protomotive for the tune. They use revo software...

http://www.3zero3motorsports.com/sto...bo-revo-stage1

anyone use it before?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 PM
just got the call that everything is all set. Everything is replaced including the brass T and all.

Total spent..
$273.75 for the tow down there
$1355.11 in parts, shop fees, tax, and all.

Total $1628.86

They also rotated tires, cleaned the inside and washed the outside...

Very happy with the service from 3zero3 motorsports in Colorado, I'm really excited to go pick it up and get back to the track!!!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:20 PM
toptier is infamous around these partstoptier is infamous around these parts
Did you get the all the parts though 3Zero3?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sinister05CTT
this is the kit I ended up going with

http://www.porscheoemparts.com/partl...gid=7378&tab=1

then 3zero3 motorsports will fill in anything missing, etc. I heard they do fantastic work. Still debating them vs protomotive for the tune. They use revo software...

http://www.3zero3motorsports.com/sto...bo-revo-stage1

anyone use it before?
WOW...that is a great price for the updated cooling tubes!! Would they fit my 2006 Cayenne S?? I tried looking through their website but couldn't find them!! I was going to order the kit from Suncoast Porsche but they want $550!!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:21 PM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
just got the call that everything is all set. Everything is replaced including the brass T and all.

Total spent..

Total $1628.86

Very happy with the service from 3zero3 motorsports in Colorado, I'm really excited to go pick it up and get back to the track!!!
Another quick question, does the upgrade kit include the T fitting or is that something I need to order also?? I just got off the phone with the dealer and the parts guy said the kit includes everything that is needed??

Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 PM
seankrider is infamous around these parts

Total spent..

Total $1628.86

Crazy good deal. Now if they could arrange fast shipping from all corners of the country, they could make a living out of this alone.

But what is the brass T? Are you sure it was brass...?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 AM
paulycw is infamous around these parts
This should serve notice to the earlier Cayenne owners that the coolant pipes will break, it is simply a matter of time. You may get lucky and stretch a bit more miles than average, although the anecdotal data points to ultimate failure.

Given all the data, do yourself a favor and have it replaced before you are towed into the dealer and inconvenience yourself at an unexpected time and location.

FYI, my pipes were replaced at around 5 years in-service and 65000 miles.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 AM
I dont think the T was included in that kit. 3zero3 ordered it for me seprately. They were awesome to work with. I would google them and call them for the parts if you arent local. Amazing company to work with.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:48 PM
zzzx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by seankrider
Crazy good deal. Now if they could arrange fast shipping from all corners of the country, they could make a living out of this alone.

But what is the brass T? Are you sure it was brass...?

same question here, never heard of a brass T. the one i got from dealer is a plastic one and around 30 bucks. hope it will outlast the other parts.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Richard996TURBO is infamous around these parts
Just changed pipes out my x's Cayenne S lot of work, worth doing pity Porsche is not recalling them.........................LOT OF FAILURE

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: another coolant pipe explosion