Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Steering Column Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 PM
nardeezy is infamous around these parts
Steering Column Adjustment?

For whatever reason, I feel like the adjusment range is super minimal. I have the seat adjusted to the lowest setting and I still can't see the speedo without he steering wheel obstructing my view? Please help?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Am I the only one that has very minimal steering wheel electronic tilt adjustment?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Even though I can see the top of the tach, my right knee hits the steering column from time to time so I end up having to raise the steering wheel higher than I would like.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by bli8
Even though I can see the top of the tach, my right knee hits the steering column from time to time so I end up having to raise the steering wheel higher than I would like.
What would you say is the amount of steering wheel tilt adjustment range is (very minimal, typical of any vehicle or very wide)? My adjustment range is very minimal compared to a 1997 Acura Integra (manual), 2001 Chevy Tahoe (manual), 2006 Lexus GS300 (motorized), and a 2007 E63 AMG (motorized).

Maybe I'm missing something but the motorized steering wheel tilt adjustment in our Cayenne is a freaking joke!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
nardeezy - perhaps if you measured and posted the amount of movement you have, and perhaps the year of your PIG people might be able to make an intelligent reply. As is - it's like asking "Is the sun too hot?"..

Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
nardeezy - perhaps if you measured and posted the amount of movement you have, and perhaps the year of your PIG people might be able to make an intelligent reply. As is - it's like asking "Is the sun too hot?"..
I don't even think it's worth measuring to get an intelligent reply. And it's not asking "is the sun too hot" because the difference is like night and day. Why's PIG. I'm going to pass by a p-dealer today to see if any of the other CPO Cayenne's are similar.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Too difficult to measure a delta in angle so using a set of Mitutoyo digital calipers these are the results for delta of distance (top setting vs. bottom setting)

- 07 E63 AMG = approx. 20mm overall range
-08 Cayenne GTS = approx. 4mm overall range

I get a magnitude of about 5x more adjustment range in my Mercedes. I captured video as well.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Your Cayenne isn't working correctly. It's CPO'd - have the dealer fix it. 4mm is silly.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Your Cayenne isn't working correctly. It's CPO'd - have the dealer fix it. 4mm is silly.
My wife brought it by the dealer today and they said it was normal. How much approx. range do you have (mm)?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM
My '06 has the manual adjuster - and as a guess - it has about 2" up/down motion, and about 2-3" in-out.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I just confirmed that our steering column has a problem. I'm at a new job and a co-worker had the exact same vehicle and his has the range.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Ours has a pretty significant range also. Yours is definitely broken.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Resolved. It spent the day at Carlsen Porsche. No mechanical or electrical issues. They just re-initialized the control unit under the seat and everything is all good.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 AM
dugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of light
I seam to be experiencing this same issue with my tilting steering wheel, can anyone give me more detail on the re initializing procedure?

Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 PM
dugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of light
Try reinitializing the control unit.
1. Switch ignition on.
2. Use seat adjustment switch to tilt backrest completely forward (as far as the stop).
3. Keep switch pressed in this position (approx. 5 seconds) until you hear a signal tone from the instrument panel.
The control unit is now initialized. Now try setting the memory function again.