Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

New drive shaft repair - anyone try this yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Shawn Stanford is infamous around these parts
My general observation has been that Rennlist forums are more of a DIY than 6speed, which is more about mods and options selection on new purchases (at least in the Cayenne forum).

Here's an excellent cardan shaft thread that describes bearing-only replacement in excellent detail: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...her-stuff.html. Cardan shafts are one of the most common problems in Cayennes, so there are multiple discussions about them. The 'search' function can find you plenty of others.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
To be fair. Cardan Shafts, especially ones with a separate bearing carrier, need service in most cars.

I've built lifted Jeeps/Trucks for decades and have spent a lot of time working on driveshaft, and more importantly driveshaft opperating angles. From what I saw underneath the CTT, I'm not really sure why this thing has a 2 piece drive shaft. Looks on initial inspection like 1 long tube would do just fine under there even with the air suspension height changes.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
My general observation has been that Rennlist forums are more of a DIY than 6speed, which is more about mods and options selection on new purchases (at least in the Cayenne forum).

I've seen plenty of DIY stuff here too. RL has some rotten apples in the Cayenne section that ruins some of the tech discussion.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Shawn Stanford is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cole
I've seen plenty of DIY stuff here too. RL has some rotten apples in the Cayenne section that ruins some of the tech discussion.
Yeah, it took me a few weeks - while I researched and then searched for my Cayenne - to get used to some of the personalities. But, there are *******s everywhere you go; the trick is to try to not be one and to ignore the ones you come across.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Aremee is infamous around these parts
Just completed the installation of the notorious Cayenne Drive shaft. I bought my shaft from Colorado Drive Shaft. I considered the Vertex bearing replacement solution but for the essentially the same money I replaced the entire shaft. Make sure you have a 12 MM serrated driver-available from NAPA.

I did mine like this:

Removed front bolts from flex connector.

Remove Center bearing support bracket.

Drop exhaust-2 mounts in center of car, two at each side of large rear muffler.

Remove 6 bolts from differential/rear shaft connection.

ISSUES:
1)Rear shaft mount would not dislodge from differential. Used BP Blaster over night, didn't help much.

After several hours of trying, I reconnected the front flex disk bolts, as well as front shaft bolts, dropped the car off the jacks, started the car and put it in gear-broke free immediately.
2) Could not access all front flex disk bolts-drop car from jacks start and drive car forward a foot or so so driveshaft turns and upper bolts are now on bottom.

After those two issues it was pretty straight forward. Remove old drive shaft. Put new one into differential, line up the front flex disk and three bolt drive shaft flange. Bolt front back first, Rear second, center last. Remove zip drive on CV joing AFTER you install drive shaft. Bolt exhaust back up, drive car. Took me about 3.5 hours total, and that was with significant delays with breaking rear differential free from Drive shaft. I saved over $1000 over what our local Porsche service departments charge. Easy DYI.