Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Coolant Pipe Data Points - Please Contribute

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
2004 CS with 86K miles. Still going strong on my original coolant pipes. I really need to get it down to 3Zero3 for a prophylactic pipe change...

Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 AM
xsrfs is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by paulycw
2005 CTT with coolant pipes replaced by dealer at around 65,000 miles.
Did they fail or was this preventative?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Cool. I'm gathering some good data. So far everyone who has contributed has failed in July! Reminder - please include MY, mileage/date of failure, and locationI want to plot the ones that haven't failed yet too so include location

Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 AM
sinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dennis C
2004 CS with 86K miles. Still going strong on my original coolant pipes. I really need to get it down to 3Zero3 for a prophylactic pipe change...
they are super reasonable and it will save a huge headache later, I strongly suggest it. I was planning to take mine over this week as a preventitive measure but the pipes blew last weekend so I had to tow it down to them.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sinister04CTT
they are super reasonable and it will save a huge headache later, I strongly suggest it. I was planning to take mine over this week as a preventitive measure but the pipes blew last weekend so I had to tow it down to them.

Good luck!
Yeah, I need to get it done. I like 3Zero3 - I've had our Porsches and our Audi serviced there.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:28 PM
myltz400 is infamous around these parts
06 CS failed at 63000 miles 1/2011. Coolant found on left side of bell housing replaced under cpo.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:53 PM
seankrider is infamous around these parts
'04 CTT, blew on Halloween last year, probably upper-80's on the odometer if I remember correctly.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
daled is infamous around these parts
Didn't happen to me while I owned it, but the prior owner had it done according to their service records. Also did a visual check to make sure the aluminum pipes are there.

Service records show it was done :

04 CTT
54K miles
Chicago, IL

Old 08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by seankrider
'04 CTT, blew on Halloween last year, probably upper-80's on the odometer if I remember correctly.
10/31/10 or 10/31/09?

Old 08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by daled
Didn't happen to me while I owned it, but the prior owner had it done according to their service records. Also did a visual check to make sure the aluminum pipes are there.

Service records show it was done :

04 CTT
54K miles
Chicago, IL
Preventative or because of failure? Do you know the date?

Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 AM
dubl07 is infamous around these parts
Godd...I hate this forum...everytime I look at it, I get scared into spending money !
2006 cs
Original coolant pipes still goin strong
I mention to my service advisor at porsche getting it done as a preventative measure and he said that would be ridiculous...but I still want to do it.
Oh and I'm in boston

Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by dubl07
I mention to my service advisor at porsche getting it done as a preventative measure and he said that would be ridiculous...but I still want to do it.
Oh and I'm in boston
They don't want you to do the preventative maintanence so they can rape you for a tranny and starter job when the pipes burst

Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xsrfs
They don't want you to do the preventative maintanence so they can rape you for a tranny and starter job when the pipes burst
I think they just feel (as did my local independent who did the job) - fix it IF it breaks (and there are people who never have a problem.) What they don't take into account is the peace of mind those lumps of aluminum give you when you're crossing the Mojave desert on Rt 10 - heavily loaded, at 80/85 MPH in 110F temps heading to a wedding in LA.

It's a case of "do you feel lucky?" Many of us make a semi-rational decision that we'd rather have peace of mind then the $1,600 or so it costs to replace them in our wallet.

Replaced mine at around 58,000 miles (well, my independent did, with some help from me.) No sign of leakage from the old ones, but the O rings weren't all that healthy (and no real assurance that the new O rings won't deteriorate in a similar manner - but we added RTV to the joints so hopefully they'll hold up as long as I own the PIG.)

To the OP - I ran the same sort of polls. Got the same inconclusive data points, but did see enough surprise catastrophic failures by people to convince me to have them done. Since the pipes are obviously worrying you - do yourself a favor and replace them. You can always hope the class-action lawsuit settlement (which is what Porsche will do.. since the new pigs are selling like hotcakes - they don't want the tarnish on the pig) will reimburse you for the cost. That's what I did.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Yea I know they'll reimburse me but only if the suit settles. And who knows how long for that. In my perfect world they'll settle quickly and I can have them replaced on recall before failure. Its their best interest to recall because they have a great engineering team but every project has some flaws. A recall would be Porsche saying "ok guys we F'ed up and so everyone still thinks well of us we'll issue a recall. This topic of this thread, the data collection, stemmed from my own curiousity. Do you happen to still have the info you gathered?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 PM
zzzx is infamous around these parts
04 CTT with 100k
coolant pipe replaced by previous owner
T connector busted June 2011

for all the trouble and very likely a huge bill, I would call a good indi and get it done ASAP

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipe Data Points - Please Contribute