Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Coolant Pipe Data Points - Please Contribute

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:16 AM
lbotello is infamous around these parts
Thats what I figured. Great suggestion on the probe camera.
Thanks

Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 PM
crowland is infamous around these parts
You can officially add me to the list of coolant pipe victims. Mine went today under acceleration onto the freeway, luckily less than 2 miles from home. I have a 2006 CTT-S and they blew with 82,100 miles. I haven't determined where the problem was, pipes or the T-fitting yet.

I am under CPO warranty so all should be covered- I am very thankful this happened while still under warranty!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Anne123 is infamous around these parts
I have 82 K miles, 04 Cayenne, tubes not replaced yet, as far as I can tell. I live in KS, the car used to live in FL. Kinda surprised they never blew in FL. Will have it done sometime this winter, hopefully next month.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Markenstein3D is infamous around these parts
i replaced mine as preventive maintenance (for peace of mind).. insisted to the dealer that they replace the t-connectors.. all is great until i reviewed the invoice and list of items on to find out that they didn't replace the t-connectors. the tech said they checked/looked at it and didn't needed to be replaced. it's like i owe them a big thanks for saving me less than $100+ parts that will cost me $$$ thousands when it fails..

Last edited by Markenstein3D; 11-20-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I just had my coolant pipes replaced with the updated metal pipes on my 2004 Cayenne S. My mileage is 93,395. I had them replaced prior to failure - I felt that I was living on borrowed time. My mechanic said that there was no sign of leaks when he got to the pipes. It was done at a Porsche dealer. My total out of pocket expense for this was $1,863.69. I'm happy to have it done.
did they replaced the t-connectors too? i had mine replaced (37k).. insisted to replace the t-connectors but tech advised they don't need to replace this as they still look good. how long would it take for these to fail?

Old 11-20-2011, 02:56 PM
crowland is infamous around these parts
Is there an upgraded T joint made out of aluminum that you were having replaced or just a new plastic? Any chance you could send me the parts list for replacement? I have a feelingthr dealer is going to give me the same line when I ask for the T connector to be replaced if it is found to not have failed....

Old 11-20-2011, 04:25 PM
mudman2 is infamous around these parts
Not sure its age related but temperature cycling, so hotter climate units go sooner for some reason. Age more than miles, I would be worried.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by crowland
Is there an upgraded T joint made out of aluminum that you were having replaced or just a new plastic? Any chance you could send me the parts list for replacement? I have a feelingthr dealer is going to give me the same line when I ask for the T connector to be replaced if it is found to not have failed....
here are the part numbers that you may want to look at.. got these from the other forum site and also confirmed by sunset porsche. price/amounts may vary.

Part no. 955-106-323-50 (water host cost: 29.98)
Part no. 948-106-035-51 (coolant hose 39.34)

Have it in writing that you are requesting that the "t-connectors" be replaced. have them sign it too (if that works)... i guess i wasn't as 'insistent' that i needed to (like to say, i wouldn't have the work done in that dealership and go somewhere else, they might just say 'yes' to my request.. the funny thing is, when i asked for the starter to be replaced, the said they will check - but if i 'insist' anyways, it's about $700+ for just the part -- funny that if the parts are less than $100 they wouldn't care to replace these even if you 'insist' -- i'm thinking they just forgot that i requested for these parts since it's not part of the aluminum coolant pipes kit upgrade)...

anyways, goodluck.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by mudman2
Not sure its age related but temperature cycling, so hotter climate units go sooner for some reason. Age more than miles, I would be worried.
yes sir i'm worried.. that's the reason why i had the plastic pipes replaced in the first place.. i've asked for a quote from them on how much they'll charge me for labor just to have these less than $100 parts replaced.. haven't got any call backs yet.. i feel like the service advisor is getting annoyed at me calling them frequently for follow-up and explanation why they didn't replace this in the first place.. i'm up to calling or emailing their CEO just to let them know i felt i got screwed with this (imagine paying an extra $1000+ just to get something replaced that i have insisted in the first place?)

my worry is that they might screw me up a bit more - it's like complaining to your server that the food ain't good in the restaurant and they comply with giving you a new one but you never know if they spit at your food then serving you with a smile.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 PM
zzzx is infamous around these parts
the T thingy is pretty hard to reach even with intake mani removed. maybe thats why the dealer tries to avoid it if it is not broken and the car is under CPO. but for sure you have to get it done when upgrading the coolant pipes.

my expansion tank also busted about 2k miles after i replaced the T. there was a small crack on the tank but coolant was pouring just like when you have a broken pipe. you might want to get that replaced too since you are there already. the tank is $70 and easy to do. have to take out the engine support arm first.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 AM
what i was told also was that if there wasn't any leakage and it's just an upgrade, then they just replace anything that's with the kit - and that's what they did.. they did look for all the other stuff (i assume - at this point, it's done and nothing i can do - unless i pay them again).. crossing my fingers and hope i don't get any problems with the coolant pouring.. my big concern is that i'd get stuck somewhere if these fails which will cost me more.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Pipes were replaced by the previous owner. T was busted after one week that I bought the car. Good thing is the T is at the back of the engine and it does not soak the other parts like starter or the seal. Bad thing is it is very hard to reach

Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Expansion tank however is really easy to replace and cost 70 for the part. Mine cracked at the same Costco parking lot where the T broken. I am not going there any more anyways just in case Lol.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 PM
cliffs is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down another data point

2006 turbo
coolant line failure at 65,107 mi on 7/13/11

Would also be interesting to get data on subsequent trans seal and/or starter failure. One SA indicated that this only occurres on a fraction of those that suffer the coolant pipe failure. Unfortunately, I am one of those cases and it happend very shortly afterward.

transmission torque converter seal failure at 66,652 mi replaced 8/27/11

Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Markenstein3D
did they replaced the t-connectors too? i had mine replaced (37k).. insisted to replace the t-connectors but tech advised they don't need to replace this as they still look good. how long would it take for these to fail?
Mine's not a turbo, so I don't have a t-connector.