Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Gas Cap Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 PM
dimf is infamous around these parts
Gas Cap Issue

I now own my 2009 Cayenne GTS for over a year, and this issue started showing up a couple of months ago.

It threw a check engine light - first I did was to read the manual and search this forum. I was made aware about the possibility of loose gas cap being the cause. I unscrewed it a couple of times and tightened it until it clicks 3 times. It didn't go away, some guys said drive and observe a few days and it might go away. When it didn't, I filled up the tank and made sure I tightened it properly. When the check engine light didn't go away, I brought it to the dealer, who advised me that the computer scan reported vapor leak - meaning gas cap.

A couple of weeks after it was fixed, I had to bring it back to the dealership to reprogram the vehicle for the new sets of keys I am getting. On the way to the dealership, the check engine light came on again. I reported it and it was fixed.. vapor leak again, and now I am looking like an idiot because the service advisor is now questioning how I am doing it after fillup. She advised, minimum of 3 clicks. I asked the lady if there could be other source of vapor leak - she said only my gas cap is causing it.

The vehicle worked fine for a while, and I had to fill up 3 times on an out of town trip without an issue. Washed the vehicle last Monday and filled up just before I parked it. I did not use the vehicle again until earlier this evening. Guess what? Check engine light again.

We observed the cap, it will tighten and click.. but when I turn it counter clockwise (open), it feels loose..

are Cayennes known to have faulty gas caps? will bring it back to the dealer for sure.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 PM
06CayenneTurboS is infamous around these parts
You could just get a new cap, I believe this is common. Happened to me, got a new cap and the cel has not reappeared for a few fill-ups now. Purchased cap from suncoast.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:11 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
And a new cap is probably one of the cheapest parts on a Cayenne..

Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Norden, local Porsche dealership is charging me $110 to reset computer.

copy of my email to service manager.

I own a 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS, with Porsche warranty until December 2012
I had check engine light for the third time this summer. When it came on for the first time, the first thing I did was read the owner's manual, then asked fellow Porsche owners at 6speedonline where I am a regular forumer.

I re-tightened the gas cap and observed the vehicle for a couple of days. I even filled up the gas tank and made sure it clicked at least 3 times. When the check engine light did not go away, I booked it for service at Norden. When I picked up the vehicle, the service advisor advised me it was indeed vapour leak - gas cap issue.

I drove the vehicle for a couple of weeks and the check engine light came on again. When I brought the vehicle in for service (again), I asked her if there is a posibility of another source of problem, she said gas cap only, and advised me to make sure it clicks for at least three times.

After the computer was reset at that time, I drove the vehicle again for a couple of weeks or so, and guess what - check engine light came on again (third time).

This happened two days after my last fill up.

I booked the vehicle for service again, and Patricia booked me about a week after I called. In the meantime, me and my wife took a closer look at the gas cap, we tightened it until it clicked at least 3 times, the open again. Sometimes it will stay tight, but sometimes it will open/turn counter clockwise with minimal effort. We did this excercise over and over with same result.

When I dropped it off today, I mentioned that to Patricia.

Service dept. left a message in my office phone today, advising me that: there is no more check engine light, and Norden is charging me $110 for diagnostic charges.

This I refused to pay, your clerk refused to give me my key, forcing me to leave the vehicle in your parking lot overnight.

Here is why I refused to pay -

Norden, a Porsche dealership and authorized service center is refusing to stand behind a luxury vehicle for a gas cap issue. I have been driving this vehicle since July 2010 with no issue at all, then during the past two months or so, a Porsche representative is implying that the issue is from my lack of knowledge (did I suddenly turn stupid?) to properly close a gas cap. I think I know enough about cars to know how to properly close a gas cap (I was doing it for a year on this vehicle), have owned several less exotic (and more reliable to me now it seems) vehicles over the last 30 years and has closed the gas tanks enough more than a hundred times.

The check engine light was there when I dropped the vehicle off this morning, until the time I turned the engine off in front of your service bay. Why will I even bother to show up for the appointment if the problem has been resolved already. I am aware that check engine light will sometimes automatically go away on some vehicles after a while, and some Cayenne owners has observed that as well. I am busy enough already and does not necessarily enjoy driving a lemon to the dealership.

I demand that the gas cap be replaced and the gas tank thread be inspected closely. If Norden Porsche does not want to stand behind this warrantied product anymore - point to me another Porsche authorized service center in Edmonton. If Norden will insist in charging the amount being billed by Patricia, please respond to this letter and give your opinion. I will pay it, and invest on Tequipment aftermarket gas cap and a durametric cable and reset the codes on this warrantied product myself. However, you know that I am pissed off and this will not be the end of it.

As service manager, I expect you to resolve this issue. I truly believe it is within your authority.
got a call from service manager this morning, he insisted that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle..

getting an aftermarket gas cap today and get done with it.

geez, my wife sells $1 toy cars in her store, when somebody complains about product quality, she replaces it happily.

Last edited by dimf; 09-08-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
It amazes me when dealership pull this sort of crap.

A new cap is less then $30: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._tank_cap.html

They could have put it on, charged Porsche for the "labor" "cap" and reset of the OBD-II warning light and had a happy customer. Instead they **** off a customer, who does have a bully pulpit to show how stupid and non-customer focused the dealership is, and it will cost them sales.

Short term thinking on the part of the service manager. I'd suggest a written and printed out letter to the General Manager of the dealership with a copy to PCNA.. bet that gets you your $110 back and a new gas cap. Keep is simple, detail the repeated attempts to fix the problem, and the repeated failure on the part of the dealership.

As far as the cap being the "only" thing that would turn the light on - BS on that - any fuel tank leak will turn it on. The system pulls a slight vacuum on the fuel system, if it doesn't hold the vacuum the light turns on. ANY leak will turn the light on.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 AM
sukaferret is infamous around these parts
It is your Coil. Go to Napaonline.com or napa and buy them..they are 22 each. X8 do the math...easy to replace and remove...only key is that you have to remove the top engine brace or you will break the caling. Takes about 1 hour to do the whole job.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by sukaferret
It is your Coil. Go to Napaonline.com or napa and buy them..they are 22 each. X8 do the math...easy to replace and remove...only key is that you have to remove the top engine brace or you will break the caling. Takes about 1 hour to do the whole job.
Wow - gotta go look. When I ordered one as a spare from NAPA it cost $27 (still just a tad under the price dealers charge.. )

Just checked - ECH IC643 - price went WAY up.. $46.99 shipped. There are less expensive alternatives out there.

Update - found it online: http://www.dmauto.com/web/dmauto/Cat...mfg/ECH/IC643/ - $19.11 - at that price it's worth doing whenever you do plugs..

Last edited by deilenberger; 09-27-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: More info..
Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 PM
got one of this from Maxspeed.

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/porschegascap.html

machined solid aluminum. looks cool.

no check engine light so far

happy to find out I still know how to put my gas cap on

I am also waiting delivery of a Durametric Pro tool... for future gas cap problems

Last edited by dimf; 09-27-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 AM
FLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the roughFLpaindoc is a jewel in the rough
Any updates?? I'm having the same problem.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
the check engine light never came back after I replaced the factory gas cap.

If your vehicle is still under warranty - I highly suggest that you get them to replace it, or document your experience properly.

In my case, dealership never acknowledged the problem (that obviously went away after I replaced the defective gas cap)... as a result - I never brought my Cayenne back to them for service.

I love the look and feel of the machined aluminum cap.