Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Mountain bikes: roof or towbar mounted systems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Mountain bikes: roof or towbar mounted systems?

Hi Everyone,

Quick question for all the mountain bikers. I need to transport 2 bikes (a 26'er and a 29'er) on a regular basis and have been looking at what options exist. The towbar mounted system (Porsche or Thule systems) seem to be directly in line with the exhaust - and so its going to burn the bike's rim to pieces. Other option is the roof mounted system (Porsche or Thule). What are you guys recommending and what have your experiences been?

Cheers,

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 AM
spinny02 is infamous around these parts
Big Easy,

I have been looking at the same. I have decided to go with a rear hitch mounted rack. I have been looking at the Thule and Yakima systems.

Most of the shops here have recommended Yakima. In my opinion the Yakima is more esthetically pleasing and has a bit better build quality.

Rack:
Swing Daddy = over kill for what i need

Doubledown 5 = This works great with the back door of our Cayenne and reviews say that the 5 will fit four bikes just fine (the doubledown 4 is a bit small for four bikes). They do make a doubledown 2 that might work for you at $199. *If you have a full suspension or odd shapes bike you might have to buy a special adaptor.

HoldUP = the hold up is expensive but look to be the best option for my needs (we have full suspension bikes).

http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch

I have avoided a roof top mount because i have a panoramic roof and i would also not want to risk scratching the car.

I hope this helps.

- JS

Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I used the Thule rear mount for my bikes on my old Cayenne. I did try the fork mount inside the rear, but the old Cayenne, 2004, did not support my bikes height. when I get a new CS, I would go for the Saris Thelma hitchmount which holds 26 and 29 inchers!

Last edited by JenK; 09-21-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Loutorious is infamous around these parts
Maybe this will make up your mind:

No me, but definitely feel the pain...

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2752/dsc09718a.jpg

Old 09-22-2011, 04:53 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Thanks guys -those damn exhausts tips on the turbo are right in line with the tires of the bikes. The Yakima looks pretty sturdy - may give this a try or go with the Porsche bike roof carrier - anyone with actual photos of this?

Cheers,