Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Am I the only one who thinks the Auto Tranny is slow..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Exacc is a jewel in the roughExacc is a jewel in the roughExacc is a jewel in the roughExacc is a jewel in the rough
Am I the only one who thinks the Auto Tranny is slow..

2010 Cayenne GTS

While I love the car, I find its transmission to be the weakest link on the car.

It just seems to take forever to kick down, and choose a lower gear when I step on the gas. Same thing with the manual mode...pressing the buttons, the car seems to debate with you before it decides to actually shift.

Sadly, my Honda CR-V tranny shifts even faster than the Porsche...BMW Steptronic Transmissions are also faster, and even my GL350 Diesel Tranny is better.

Just ranting and asking if anyone has idea on how to alleviate this...

Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
agree. def had the same experience in my S. i'm actually experiencing similar characteristic in my panamera 4s pdk as well.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Exacc
turbo and then start in first gear.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:11 PM
elcayano is infamous around these parts
Nothing to do with transmission. That's the electronic throttle, it's pretty slow in cayennes. Consider installing the sprint booster product that's advertised on website

Old 09-23-2011, 06:32 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
^^ I've also heard about the Sprint Booster improving throttle response. Turning off the Stability control makes the tranny far more responsive as well. It holds gears longer and starts automatically in 1st gear. It never goes into 6th gear either.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:01 AM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
2010 Cayenne GTS

While I love the car, I find its transmission to be the weakest link on the car.

It just seems to take forever to kick down, and choose a lower gear when I step on the gas. Same thing with the manual mode...pressing the buttons, the car seems to debate with you before it decides to actually shift.

Sadly, my Honda CR-V tranny shifts even faster than the Porsche...BMW Steptronic Transmissions are also faster, and even my GL350 Diesel Tranny is better.

Putting the pepper into sport mode and turning the PSM off makes a huge difference.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
+1

I that doesn't work get a 2011+ model year and it will be even that
much MORE improved.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i traded the tranny for a manual and never looked back.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Exacc is a jewel in the roughExacc is a jewel in the roughExacc is a jewel in the roughExacc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by S-B-D
Putting the pepper into sport mode and turning the PSM off makes a huge difference.
I always drive in Sports mode...I will try to turn the PSM off.

Although there is something about the Electronic Throttle too...part of what makes it feel slow is the fact that I have to step on the gas pedal deeper before it shifts down...unlike other sporty cars where a little throttle will trigger the tranny to downshift already.

Will the sprint booster be detectable by the dealer?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Former Vendor
SprintBooster is infamous around these parts
I always drive in Sports mode...I will try to turn the PSM off.

Although there is something about the Electronic Throttle too...part of what makes it feel slow is the fact that I have to step on the gas pedal deeper before it shifts down...unlike other sporty cars where a little throttle will trigger the tranny to downshift already.

Will the sprint booster be detectable by the dealer?
Hello Exacc, Sprint Booster is not detectable via diagnostic OBD-II tools at the dealer. The only way a dealer tech may think something is up is if you have Sprint Booster turned on as they drive your car in to the service bay. Once it is turned off the throttle response will return to stock.

- Sprint Booster USA (manufacturer)

Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by elcayano
Nothing to do with transmission. That's the electronic throttle, it's pretty slow in cayennes. Consider installing the sprint booster product that's advertised on website

CTT + Sport button + PSM off + Sprintbooster = Much Win

Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Answering the OP, yes - it is slow. On the 1st gen I have it's losing significant time downshifting and really, upshifting as well. A true "slushbox". I've asked Evoms if they plan on a tranny tune for it and sadly they don't think there is enough interest to develop it.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Jroy08 is infamous around these parts
I tend to drive in sports mode unless on the highway just cruising. Makes shifts alot quicker and the throttle more responsive. I mean thats what its for. PSM off just tends to hold gears longer in my opinion.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 AM
So, I finally got to try: Sport mode + PSM off

It is a big difference! Night and Day difference! I now love my GTS a lot more! Why couldn't they have paired this tranny program to Sport Mode only, so I can still keep the PSM on...though I haven't seen the PSM interfere w my driving ever.

The biggest diff. for me is that the car does not upshift, when I take my foot off the gas. With the PSM on, the tranny is in some kind of an economy mode where it shifts to a higher gear when I take my foot off the pedal, even just for a second...the result is that when I get on the power, the car is not in the right RPM range with enough torque...and with the slow slushbox it takes forever before it downshifts...and I the opportunity to overtake, is gone. Makes driving the car a chore, and makes it feel slower than it is.

The car is almost perfect with the PSM off...although I am not as convinced that I am lacking the Sprintbooster. What I feel is needed, is a TCU program, that downshifts automatically at a higher RPM point, as I slow down .