Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Crazy Things Keep Happening!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 AM
spinny02 is infamous around these parts
Question Crazy Things Keep Happening!!!!

Last week when i was out of town my wife called me and said the car felt like it had no power steering.... i blew it off.

Well its happened to me about six times now. Right when you start the car you can immediately feel that the car is hard to steer and it takes both hands to make it move. The steering will remain tight until you restart the car. =;(

My wife also said yesterday the gas pedal had to be pushed to the floor to drive... until she restarted the car. Can these be two things be linked?

I have made an appointment for Monday at my local P-dealership.

I know the fix but why is this happening???? I am covered under CPO but this is the fifth time i have been in for warranty work in the past two months(thank you dealership for fixed everything with hassles!!!) . GRRR

Any help would be great!

JS

Old 11-03-2011, 10:42 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
bummer My CTT does the same thing in the morning, but its more of a jerky feel...like low fluid. BUT..I noticed that my pass side steering shaft boot is leaking! There shouldn't be any fluid in the boot, so I'm gonna get it replaced and have them look the seals while in there, probably smoked seal and the rack will need to be replaced...luckily steering racks aren't too expensive to replace. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM
skier is infamous around these parts
I have power steering issues when parallel parking etc (0-1 mph) but only after car has been running for a bit. Works fine in the morning when pulling out of garage, etc. I replaced the servotronic switch...that did nothing. Currently, we are replacing the fluid reservoir. The thinking is that since I do have power steering in the morning, that it may not be the pump because apparently I wouldn't have any power steering if the pump was bad. Trying to limit the cost of my out of warranty 08 GTS, so I'm treading water lightly by fixing the problem piece by piece.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skier
I have power steering issues when parallel parking etc (0-1 mph) but only after car has been running for a bit. Works fine in the morning when pulling out of garage, etc. I replaced the servotronic switch...that did nothing. Currently, we are replacing the fluid reservoir. The thinking is that since I do have power steering in the morning, that it may not be the pump because apparently I wouldn't have any power steering if the pump was bad. Trying to limit the cost of my out of warranty 08 GTS, so I'm treading water lightly by fixing the problem piece by piece.
Just curious, but what color is your p/s fluid? I know most is red in color. Mine looks like a brown color. I've had the idea that maybe some moron or service guy put brake fluid in the p/s reservoir!! This happened on my last car too (EVO)...stupid previous owner drained and replaced the entire p/s pump with brake fluid. Trashed the pump. Moron. If it happens again ...I'm pretty sure God hates me.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Loutorious is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Just curious, but what color is your p/s fluid? I know most is red in color. Mine looks like a brown color. I've had the idea that maybe some moron or service guy put brake fluid in the p/s reservoir!! This happened on my last car too (EVO)...stupid previous owner drained and replaced the entire p/s pump with brake fluid. Trashed the pump. Moron. If it happens again ...I'm pretty sure God hates me.

Power steering fluid on the Cayenne is like greenish clear, old fluid may appears brownish. it is pentosin 220. You are still loved...

Old 11-03-2011, 04:46 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Before I changed mine it looked like coffee.. but still smelled like Pentosin albiet with a bit of a burned smell. Did two flushes - it has stayed green now..

Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM
intheflesh has a spectacular aura aboutintheflesh has a spectacular aura aboutintheflesh has a spectacular aura about
i had my P/S go out 2 years ago on my 06 S. was about 900 for parts and install at an indy shop.

IIRC, the power steering fluid in the cayenne is actually automatic transmission fluid. (i may be wrong here....I know it is in my fcar, and i might just be mixing the two up)

Old 11-07-2011, 12:12 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by intheflesh
IIRC, the power steering fluid in the cayenne is actually automatic transmission fluid. (i may be wrong here....I know it is in my fcar, and i might just be mixing the two up)
You remembered incorrectly. It most definately is NOT power steering fluid, and putting power steering fluid in the system is probably a quick shortcut to some very expensive repairs. The system uses Pentosin fluids.. it should be in the owners manual (and I believe on the cap for the power steering reservoir.) As they say "There is no substitute".. for the correct fluid.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 PM
skier is infamous around these parts
Update:

Just replaced reservoir, flushed, and new Pentison CHF20...didn't seem to make much of a difference in my steering on Friday after pickup, but steering feeling good so far on Monday. Fingers crossed. Next step would be the pump. Arghhh.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 PM
SO took the car in for the steering problem and also a new rattle in the rear end. i got the car back last night.

*They replaced my driveshaft and bushing/bearing. (CPO)
*Replaced three trim pieces (CPO)
*Replaced tires
*Programmed a new key/remote (CPO =) )
*& Could not get the steering problem to replicate so they could not fix it ... EH...

This morning the problem pooped up again so i drove to the dealership and had the tech look at it. Then said they just received a "bulletin" on a relay for the steering system. They believe that is causing the hard "no power steering feel" that occurs at random. They have ordered the relay and will replace it next week.

Lets hope it works. I cant thank my service guy enough he has been very helpful and quick.

I will try to find our more about what relay it is when the part arrives.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Markenstein3D is infamous around these parts
hi spinny.. where did you get the service done?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Momentum 59 & beltway. i also sent you a PM

Originally Posted by Markenstein3D
hi spinny.. where did you get the service done?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I had an issue with our Cayenne when we had the battery replaced. The fuse for the Servotronic power assist blew when the battery was changed. This caused the vehicle to feel like you describe, especially at slow speeds. I changed the fuse and it has worked fine ever since then.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
dark911 has a spectacular aura aboutdark911 has a spectacular aura aboutdark911 has a spectacular aura about
Wow this sounds unsafe to drive.