Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Need Help Bigtime 1st Baby on the WAY!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 PM
AKC4S is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Need Help Bigtime 1st Baby on the WAY!!!

Hey Guys,
My wife and I are expecting a girl (our first one) in the next couple of weeks, (35 weeks) or ANYDAY NOW, and I had a serious question for you re: the Porsche Cayenne.

I am in the Market and I have Broke it down to 3.
1)Cayenne 2)X5 3)RR sport.

I know that some of you have one or the other, I have an X3 sport also and Love it, up to 100k COVERED! No out of pocket cost so far!!

So now I am looking for a CPO up to 2010 (2011 out of range)
This will be for (MY BABY) me and the wife, so V6, is NOT is not a bad idea, and not a bad driver. Or X5 3.0 or a RR Sport HSE.... I am in the Dallas Area so, they are on cars.com all day long.

Please Help me with some insight, on either one, or another SUV... and experiences with the CPO from Porsche, etc... I am in no major, hurry, but if one came available tomorrow, I would get it....

Thanks soooo much, and yes, I did sell the C4s, which was a CPO, but I only put 4k in 1 year!!!

Thanks soo much in advance.

ak.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I've never owned the X5 or the RR. Our Cayenne S is my wife's daily driver. It's a fantastic vehicle. It has never left us stranded, and it has been very reliable. It has had most of the common/known issues addressed. As you already know from owning a Porsche and a BMW, maintenance on these vehicles isn't cheap. As long as you're prepared for that, then a Cayenne should be a great vehicle for you!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks Dennis,

The Maintenance on BMW's are paid for up 4y/50K, and if you get a CPO, it's covered up to 6y/100K.... I know this, because my X3 has 80K and 2 months ago, they replaced the Brakes and Rotors for $50 deductible!

I guess I have gotten spoiled, remember I did not have my Carrera C4S for too long, and it was NEW, so I didn't spend a Dime... but my 968???

So, what cost kind of costs am I looking at to own a Cayenne?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:49 PM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
stay away from RR.. Mine was always in the shop. My 08 Cayenne S has been trouble free. I have a BMW 335 and I must say the 4/50K warranty is a dream..

My next door neighbor just got the new X5 and all I can say is wow. I personally like the X5 better than the new Cayenne...wife doesn't agree however

Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 PM
CHAOS236 is infamous around these partsCHAOS236 is infamous around these parts
I love my 06 ****,recommend it.

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
What about another X3? For about the same price as a used X5 or Cayenne you can probably get a brand new X3. They're as big (if not a little bigger) on the inside as the older model Cayennes and X5s and a new one with the sport package and that turbo motor really moves for an inline 6 - and gets much better mileage than the other 2 to boot. (I also had a 2008 335 and with a tune that thing was FAST!). Plus, you'll be getting a brand new 4/50K maintenance pkg to boot! If you really like your current X3 this seems like a no-brainer to me, no? I think it would at least be worth a look/test drive while you're out there comparing.

That said, I just picked up a 2008 Cayenne GTS and I just love it! Compared with my 2004 X5 4.4 it's faster, rides better, and handles quite a bit better (especially w/PDCC). However, I think the X5's interior was nicer (sport seats are fabulous as you know) and it got about 3mpg better mileage than my GTS - but still, I enjoy driving the GTS much more. I'm just amazed at how well it rides but corners almost completely flat.

Let us know how you make out...

Oh, and BTW - pardon me for not congratulating you on your first child - Big Congrats!!!!!! Yes, it's true that your life will change completely, but for the better for sure! Kids are great!

Last edited by GTS Jay; 12-20-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM
rlim is infamous around these parts
Congratulation on your first child!!

We purchased our Cayenne (base V6) 2 months ago and is extremely pleased with our decision. I have twin 14 mths old girls and a nanny which got us looking into a larger vehicle to be able to accommodate the baby seats and nanny comfortably. I also needed the trunk space to accommodate the twin strollers and booster seats.

I had an older BMW 328i (e36) .. which surprising is rather spacious for a sedan. It accommodated the infant seats and nanny but trunk space was a challenge.

Mind you, it was a challenge for me to move from a sedan to an SUV ... friends and family suggested minivan and station wagon .... which I will not even consider. I started investigating other options for my sedan ... such as Thule roof cargo boxes. Eventually, after plenty of discussions, we agreed on a SUV.

Next we started researching into which SUV ... key players are Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, and MB. We looked at the X3 and MB GLK and eliminated them as they're too small. We narrowed our search to Cayenne, X5, and MB ML series. They're all great SUVs and we're down to esthetics .. my wife didn't like the looks of MB as she thinks it looks like a minivan which got it eliminated off our list.

I consulted my mechanic who services our Carrera and asked about the 08 Cayenne (957) which he told us are reliable as the engines are beefed up VW VR6 engines. The engine has been around a long time and all the problems experienced in the past has been addressed. He has very few Cayennes of those years coming in for service. He warned us about getting the first generation of the Cayenne and the newer 958 models as they're more problematic as there are quirks which still needs to be worked out.

He also warned us the the Range Rover as they are problematic. He had one on the hoist when I was speaking with him.

We test drove the base V6 model and Cayenne S and decided on the base model. The decisions are based on the primary purpose of SUV transporting my kids around, higher insurance and higher gas consumption on the S model. The Carrera will fill that void for excitement as needed.

As for the X5, we decided against it only because there are so many in our neighborhood that we wanted a vehicle that is different. Then again, it's nice having a pair of Porsches on our driveway. Surprisingly, I get quite a few stares from other drivers at the Cayenne ... guess there are not as many Cayenne on the road as the X5.

Anyway, congratulation and good luck on your search!

Last edited by rlim; 12-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Slant83, Chaos236, GTSjay, Rlim,

Hey guys, thanks for the responses and the congratulations.. Now I am REALLY Confused!... I am going this weekend to look at a couple of SUV's... So, it's either the Cayenne or X5... The New X3 is nice, but want something different..

I will keep you informed, but as I asked previously, what are the Maintenance costs involved with the Cayennes? I know that the X5 will be covered, depending if it's a Cpo or not.

thanks...
ak

Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 AM
dezigns is infamous around these partsdezigns is infamous around these parts
I had a very similar experience about 2 years ago. The wife's DD was a Nissan Murano, despite being an overall decent vehicle, felt very cheap and slightly unsafe, plus the brakes were god-awful.

She was pregnant with our first, a girl, and I simply didn't want to play around with transportation.

We looked around at other SUVs, but being very pro-Porsche (owned 4 by age 31), there was no question it was to be a Cayenne.

Bought an 08 S with some miles (30k) and never looked back. It's been a great family hauler, reliable and very stout-you can literally feel the quality. I call it "The Panzer", and it is happy on long trips or trips to the store. It is also a tow vehicle for my GT3. Very versatile performer.

I bought ours and surprised the wife with it during her baby shower.

Best of luck, and congrats on becoming a new parent.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey guys.... update.... After all that was said and done..... I purchased an X5 4.8I with the Sport Pkg(20inch) rims.... I did like all other cars on the list, but this one had more to offer, and the CPO warantee is good till 2015! Thanks for all of your help... and advice.... oh, by the way, we are on our 38th week of Pregnancy! Now I can rush the baby to...... Not sure, but that 4.8 hauls... I will post pics soon...

thanks

ak.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:27 PM
aenemated is infamous around these parts
late to the party here; but having driven an x5 for 4 years (and owned several other bimmers), you won't be disappointed. they're AWESOME trucks. and bmw CPO coverage is great. you really cannot beat bmw service.

congrats!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:46 PM
falb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant futurefalb has a brilliant future
Congratulations!!! Now get a panamera