Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

HELP! Expertise Sought in EVOMS Modifications

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
HELP! Expertise Sought in EVOMS Modifications

Since I am in Phoenix for the winter and very close to Tempe and I was in the area ;-) I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and dropped in on the EVOMS facility. WOW! What a huge shop!

I spoke with them about modding my 2005 Cayenne Turbo which has almost 109,000 miles on it and is stock. My goal is to increase MGP without sacrificing longevity & serviceability, and secondarily reduce turbo lag and get a little more power.

While there, their sale's rep kept quoting me slightly higher than their usual prices which I have been tracking for more than two years.

Does anybody know a way or a person to contact at EVOMS who would be more inclined to give me a package deal? And more reasonable prices?

NOW FOR THE REASON FOR MY NEW THREAD:

PLEASE, I need input from those with with similar mods.

Other than their flash at $1800, I am considering:

Air Intakes
Deleting Secondary Cats and Adding straight by-pass pipes
possibly IPD Plenum

He quoted me $700 for intakes and $750 for deleting secondary cats. That makes it $3,250 plus AZ sales taxes out the door.

What are your thoughts on these mods?

I do not want to disturb the graceful driving dynamics of my SUV. I use it for towing and off-road and autocrossing. I don't want a lot of noise unless I am hammering it WOT and I want to be able to fully modulate the throttle so that I can take off gracefully and slalom gracefully.

Their rep said it would be a completely different car. He figured it would have 100 more foot/pounds of torque which would help with towing my huge load (25' travel trailer) and maybe 80-87 more HP and I could expect an increase in fuel efficiency of 3-5 MPG. --THIS IS WITHOUT the IPD Plenum.

With the Plenum, I would expect more gains and a reduction in turbo lag. Turbo lag on the original 4.5L engines was/is significant.

Should I forget the added expense of the IPD Plenum?

What should I be offering for a package deal out the door?

Am I going to like the results or am I am going to wish I had left it stock?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by gr8ful; 01-24-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
I just realized that I have long wanted a matching Dead Pedal Rest; might as well add one to the mix. :-)

Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
I'd forget the IDP plenum if it were me.

But the intakes and bypass pipes are a great mod and should only make drive-ability better (at least for me ) and more FUN! I get about 16-17 mpg in the city with my mods. Sound is increased during heavy throttle, quiet during normal driving (thanks to the sound dampening). You'll hear the intakes and blow off valves more, but it sounds good so..

Save the money on the IPD and get some blow off valves (Diverter valves).

Check out Leistung Motorsports as another option. Might save you some money if you're worried about price and get the same performance. Good luck!! Post your results and thoughts after!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM
How do diverter valves function/add to performance and what do they cost?

Since I am near EVOMS, they can dyno and fine tune my SUV

Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Those look good and price is decent too!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the tip. Improved diverter values are a much better ROI and I figure I should easily get another 100 HP with them.

I am beginning to think I might need to buy my parts outside of AZ to keep the costs down as much as possible. Then again, to have one business on the line for them all might be worth something more than merely saving $300-500.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I have until early May to complete my project and shake her down before I hit the road for another long trip up the Alcan.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:28 AM
loveivs is infamous around these parts
I have every mod you stated in the post. Not everything from Evoms though.
Intake is a good buy, I can definitely feel the quicker throttle response, because more cold air has been suctioned. as well as the noise of sucking air.

The plenum. ummm, not really offer what I expected for. Reduce turbo lag? I didn't notice any. at least the reduction is not noticeable. well, I did notice some change after fitting the plenum. It makes air discharge noise everything you punch the pedal. if you ever heard those blow-off noise from JDM rice car. You will know what I mean. I m not saying the IPD
Plenum is bad, it's just not as good as I thought.

Straight pipe. More noise is certain. More BHP? I don't know. I didn't do before & after dyno test. I assume better air flow = less restriction, that will gives at least a few extra bhp. lol (the product I have is not from Evoms, purchased direct from KSG japan)

Old 01-26-2012, 11:18 AM
ArcticT is infamous around these parts
I am looking into those same mods so I am also curious what everyone has to say. I think I will do intake and bypass pipes for sure, but I'm still up in the air on the other mods. Tuning is pricey!

Old 01-26-2012, 11:31 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Was that an installed price? My intakes, plenum, and bypass pipes are all used from either this forum or Ebay. If you're patient they pop up from time to time.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Vyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura aboutVyper340 has a spectacular aura about
Do the DME and bypass pipes. Skip,the intakes and plenum. When you need to replace the plenum (it will crack eventually - its plastic) then go with IPD and don't give it a second thought.

I tried the intakes with my setup and didn't care for the extra "sucking noise" and didn't notice much if any difference in performance.

EVOMS makes great stuff!!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
I love how quiet my car is. I really don't want to hear sucking noises. However, the only times I get to hear that wonderful exhaust is when I have the windows down and I am accelerating around corners. I think I'd like a little more auditory feedback but I don't want the boy racer image or experience.

The prices I heard were rather high and I assumed those were the installed prices.

I want increased MPG and can really put more torque to use when I am trailering. Look at my load! It's "home."

Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 PM
BTW, that will be straight pipe into the OEM muffler with quad tips.

I am wondering about the benefits of new diverters?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM
ArcticT is infamous around these parts
I still need to watch more videos, but it sounds like the cat bypass pipes into the stock exhaust/mufflers could sound too gurgly/poppy/raspy. While louder, the bypass pipes into an aftermarket exhaust seemed to almost smooth out the sound. It may be just the particular videos I've watched playing tricks on my ears.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! Expertise Sought in EVOMS Modifications