Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

04 Cayenne Turbo PCM NAVI MAP CD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 AM
fullmetaljacket is infamous around these parts
04 Cayenne Turbo PCM NAVI MAP CD

Hi Guys! Newbie here. I've been trying to search threads in and out of 6speed but could not find anything close to addressing my issues:

1. Where do I get a CD Map for the NAVI that will work in Asia?
2. Garmin NAVI systems work on this side of the pond, is the PCM on the Cayenne running on Garmin or TomTom or Magellan perhaps? Or is the NAVI system OS proprietary to Porsche?

TIA for any inputs - cheers!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 AM
Tried searching all over the place. NO CD available for my country Any suggestions on workarounds? For example - routing the output of a Garmin GPA external device? Just a thought.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The 2004 navigation system is not great, even if you find the maps! The latest update was done in 2008, and it is still lacking compared to more modern systems. I replaced the headunit in my C4S with a Kenwood unit with Garmin navigation, and it's great. I think I'm going to do the same thing in my Cayenne. It's not the cheapest option, but it would solve your problem! I would also give you iPod connectivity, Sirius XM, Bluetooth, etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks Dennis! I was contemplating on installing the Kenwood DNX-7180 on my X5 before but couldn't really find a nice mounting kit that I like. Hence I stayed with some Chinese branded OEM looking headunit (Hualingan) that was really lousy

Hope you won't mind a few questions about your install:

1. Where did you get the mounting set?
2. Can you control ipod and functions of the Kenwood through your steering wheel buttons?
3. Does your P's BOSE system have an amplifier? I'm surprised that your Kenwood did not have an over moculated sound. Did you bypass the amp? Where s it located in the car?
3. Last question but very crucial is...What happens to the onboard computer functions if you have taken out the PCM. Isn't the PCM the main brain or CPU of the Porsche's MOST network? Shouldn't you keep it connected in the glove compartment?

TIA!

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 01-31-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The Kenwood unit that I bought is in my 911, not my Cayenne. However, I'll be adding one to the Cayenne soon. The unit I chose is the Kenwood Excelon DNX-6960. It has been replaced with a newer model - I think it's the DNX-6980. You can buy an adapter to connect the new headunit to the the MOST ring. This will allow you to use the existing amps and speakers, and it will allow for functionality of your steering wheel controls.

The mounting set for my installation was custom fabricated, but I think there are many kits out there that would work. I don't have steering wheel audio control in the 911, so I can't answer your question about the steering wheel control of the iPod. I'd be surprised if it didn't work, but I'm not really sure.

I know that others have done this upgrade in a Cayenne before, so perhaps they can chime in on the other computer functions.