Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Huge transmission problem, need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 AM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Huge transmission problem, need help!

The tow truck is on the way, but I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light as to what could be wrong with my 03 Turbo.

After a 2 hour highway drive, that included a stop where I turned off the car, we arrived to our destination, only to find out that when I put the car on "P", the dash indicator and transmission, would still remain in "D" The shift lever can be moved from P to R to N, but takes a lot of effort to get into D. Once in D, I can go into the manual mode and shift it to 1st (dash indicator confirms this), but I cannot get the car out of D.

Had to remove the 2 fuel pump relays to turn the car off as it won't do it with the key since it thinks it is in D. Once off, I removed the negative terminal of the battery (under driver's seat) and when I re connected the battery, all I got was a air suspension fault code. The car still thinks it is in D, but now the dash indicates as if P, R, N, and D are all selected at the same time.

Anyone ever gone through anything like this? Any idea what the solution will/could be?

Thanks in advance for any and all help regarding this matter.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
sounds electronic, does it shift normally once in D or Manual mode?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 AM
GOB
GOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud ofGOB has much to be proud of
I have not been able to drive it since I parked in a way that I need to reverse out of the spot before heading on my way.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
fullmetaljacket is infamous around these parts
keep us posted on this please...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Can you pull the access cover around the shifter to manually overide the shifter? That way you can get it in Neutral for the tow. Bummer man! Let us know what the issue is!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM
GOB
Tow truck should arrive in 35 minutes or so.... I can manually move the shifter to P, R, N (and D, but with a lot of effort). Since I turned off the car (by removing fuel pump fuses), now it wont turn on again because it thinks that the shifter lever/transmission is on "D". No matter which position I now place the shifter lever in, the car will roll immediately, so it is currently being held in place by the hand brake and a rock behind the rear tire. The car just happens to be sitting on a slight incline (towards the rear) and in front, is an all glass lobby of a condo. I have already warned the tow truck driver that this vehicle is basically a 6,000+ piece of steel that has no brakes, steering, transmission (think "put it in Park") or anything.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 AM
GOB
The dealer called to tell me that the cable on the image below is what broke. Now I need to find the part number that corresponds with it and see if their asking price of $228 is in line. Now, the $338 installation, well, I may have a solution.

So, anyone know the part number for the cable pictured below?

Update: that cable currently costs $160.62 @ Suncoast. The ex Porsche head mechanic has his own shop and charges $250 in labor to replace the cable.

Attached Images  

Last edited by GOB; 02-07-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Bigbuzuki is infamous around these parts
$138 at porscheoemparts.com

part number is 95542603311

Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM
GOB
UPDATE: I just got the truck back this past Saturday due to a major delay in getting the part delivered. I saw the "old" cable and the ends look like they are new! Will post some images so some experts will chime in as to wether or not it merited replacement or not. So far, the truck is working, BUT....., somehow, they managed to mess up the manual mode of the shifter. If I put the lever into the manual portion of the gate, the lever will sometimes work, others (most of the time) does not. When it works, it updshifts fine from first to second to third, but that is it. Downshifting never works. The transmission will work "manually" from the buttons on the steering wheel.
Stealership says that it now needs a new sensor and the sensor alone was over $450. I am SSSOOO fet up with this vehicle and the dealer.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
On either this forum, or another Cayenne forum - both symptoms you described were described by someone else.. and apparently the cause is some magnets in the lever mechanism that change proximity switches come loose, and can jam the movement, or cause it not to respond correctly, or both.

Dealers say to replace it - the other chap who had the problem glued them back on and all was well. Might be worth taking the cover off the shifter area and looking yourself.

I suspect the only purpose of the cable going to the transmission is to engage the parking pawl.. all the shifting is done electronically.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM
GOB
I am preparing a "case" against the dealer now to see if they can remedy the situation by taking it apart again and re looking at the magnets (part number 95562417001).

I apologize for having posted this subject on 2 other forums, but I was in desperate need of help.

Once this issue is fixed, I am having the rear hatch shocks replaced, headliner re glued, and then the first person with cash in hand gets the truck.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
GOB
Update: case solved. The dealer in fact made a mistake when putting my truck back together and somehow missed one of the electromagnets. They have corrected their mistake and are now bringing my truck back to my house.

I will make a separate thread as their original diagnostic (cable mentioned above) is questionable too since I now have the one they took out of the truck, but it seems perfectly fine to me. That said, the truck had an issue with selecting gears through the gear lever, but now all works fine.