Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Power & Ground for HID Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Question Power & Ground for HID Kit

So i installed an HID kit last night and the relay does not seem to work. It makes me think i'm not getting a proper power and ground for it. For power, i opened up the cap for the positive terminal + for jump starting the car and screwed it on there. I'm quite confident in that one. As for the ground, i cant use the piece of metal for jump starting so I need to find another screw or bolt. Any recommendations?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Do you have a simple voltmeter handy? I'm sure you could find a good ground poking around with that...

Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
found a decent ground I think, however the HIDs just flicker and the relay clicks. Without the relay the HID kit actually works fine. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Oddly enough, with the HID kit installed (including error code eliminator) I get a "check high beam" warning. The high beams work fine though?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
User 8122 is infamous around these parts
Have you tried installing without the eliminator to see what happens?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
without the eliminator everything is the same, i just get a "check dipped beam" warning.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Does the HID kit you are using have a halogen high-beam lamp, or is it just a replacement for the low-beam? I know some kits also feature a shutter that opens and closes for low-beam/high-beam.

Sounds like something is making your Cayenne think the high-beams aren't functioning properly. If you're using the existing high-beams, then it sounds to me like a wiring issue. I wish I could help you with that one...

Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
my HID kit only replaces the H7 low beams. i'm not even touching the factory high beams. I'm kinda thinking they have a common ground with the low beams. I'll check the wiring to them this weekend, but they do work fine oddly enough.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 PM
tridolf is infamous around these parts
Im having kinda of same issue. mine just wont power up at all, plus i get both error msg's. Did you ever fix yours and if you did can i ask you about wiring diagram?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM
still havent got around to fixing it. i tried a different relay and it just flickered at a different rate oddly enough.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
You might want to consider introducing diodes inline to make sure there is no interference with the other car systems.

I would consider asking the guys over at the12volt.com . They install aftermarket stuff like this on a daily basis. Just be warned that they can be a little esoteric and unresponsive to noobs.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM
^ i think i'm just going to go back to stock. i'm done messing around with this.