Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

05 CTT - trying to get to know what sounds are 'good' and what may not be

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
05 CTT - trying to get to know what sounds are 'good' and what may not be

New to Cayenne.
Got the car. Seems to drive awesome. The TT has a great set of ***** on it too (can't believe how many hondas and hyundai cars line up at lights and go into full spring to show me they are fast...lol - I let each of them win every time).

Anyhow, trying to get to know the car better. Have been noticing that sometimes, the main rad fan stays on for several seconds after the key is removed from the ignition (like after I park and leave the car).

Also, sometimes, there is a quiet hum coming from rear of car (I assume it is from the metal unit on passenger side of trunk - is that some kind of VRM or something)? Is that a fan that cools it down?

If you can provide a perspective of the types of noises I should be expecting from the Cayenne:

- after driving is done (ignition key removed from car)
- during driving (while driving the car - assuming all radio/fans/ac, etc are off)

That would be great. This may give me advance warning - especially not knowing the car yet

Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
congrats on your CTT!! lol yea I get the occasional flyby, usually from an audi or bmw guys here I don't bother though.

The fan relays are normal, not sure on the VRM thing, I always here a slight hum while driving and giving it throttle at highway speeds, never figured it out though.

As for other noises, that's up to your beast, lol. My blower fan, makes a slight squeak sound when I turn left or right at low speed w/the blower fan at low speed. Sounds like squirrels in there turning the blower fan, its kind of annoying.

My most annoying sound is a whistle sound I have at highway speeds and when I applying throttle, so when I let off the throttle it goes away, when I give it throttle it appears. I'm thinking it's fuel related or some kind of sound issue.

Other than that, my CTT is pretty quiet and doesn't bug me too much.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't worry about noises too much on these Cayennes. They are very reliable. You will figure out what is normal in due time.

And yes, you will hear fans kicking on cooling off the engine even when the ignition is off.

Just remember it is having to manage an incredible about of heat.

Enjoy your new CTT!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
mikijoe1 is infamous around these parts
Somtimes I can hear the compressor filling while driving (under passenger seat)

Old 03-13-2012, 04:15 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I sometimes hear these humming sounds after I remove the key from ignition that's what I was wondering about...is it normal or anything weird going on