Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Explanation of durametric tool and options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Explanation of durametric tool and options?

I would greatly appreciate if someone could explain about the durametric tool:
- what it is,
- how it plugs in,
- what it plugs into,
- what it can do for you,
- does it comes with options (what they are, and which seems best to get)
- typical price
- any other tools that may be better
- is the tool updatable (meaning, I can download firmware to make it more current as time passes or am I stuck with whatever version I bought)
I have seen this tool for sale for less than couple hundred bucks, and as much as 900 or more. Before I pull the trigger on one, would greatly appreciate input from users.
I have a 2005 ctt.

Thank you.

Last edited by ciaka; 03-31-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
dimf is infamous around these parts

here is what usually come in a Pro Kit

link to Durametric site http://www.durametric.com/buyus.aspx

from their site
The Durametric Diagnostic Tool for Porsche was created for independent repair shops and private owners alike. It provides access to the many Porsche control units for maintenance and troubleshooting information. The tool helps you read Porsche’s diagnostic codes with user-friendly descriptions, part numbers, and over-rev data; can activate drive links and capture actual values; resets the service reminder on cars that support them and can clear the warning indicators of most systems.
The diagnostic tool is easy to use. Simply load the software on your Windows computer and connect the cable between the computer and car. Start the program, select your model, and the program will begin communicating with the car.
Every time you use your Durametric tool, an engine code is stored and documented in the data log. With this automatically time-stamped data log process you can easily compare your Porsche performance and history over time.
you can download appropriate version of the software from their website for free, then install said software into your laptop.

you basically plug one end of the cable to the USB port of your Porsche and the other end to your laptop. the wire lets your laptop communicate with the computer of your Porsche

price and other terms of use can be found in the linked website. Hobbyist version allows use for up to 3 vehicles, pro is unlimited. I got a pro version for $200 shipped to me from Ontario (slightly used). Local indie shop uses it to reset service reminder, etc. I think the current software version and the one prior to it will work with the 955, not 100% sure, best to email Durametric. you can actually try downloading the software even without the cable of you want to explore the software a little bit.

Last edited by dimf; 03-31-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I've been digging into the cable and noticed you can buy Chinese knock offs for about 30 bucks. Anyone here have experience with them? Also, is v6 a much better version of software, or same thing?

Thanks

Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ciaka
I've been digging into the cable and noticed you can buy Chinese knock offs for about 30 bucks. Anyone here have experience with them? Also, is v6 a much better version of software, or same thing?

Thanks
1. They're Chinese knockoffs - and crap.
2. They only work with ancient versions of the Durametric software
3. Your car will explode if you plug one into it

(3 isn't necessarily true - but they do have the capability to blow up the computer modules in the car REAL GOOD - and when they do, what'cha gonna do? Complain? Haaaa.. )

You have a $60-100k vehicle. Spend the $300 for the Durametric. Don't be a cheap-***, it will come back and bite you.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
lol. like the #3...I know - I am exploring all the options.
I am very much leaning to getting the actual durametric. Thanks for advice. No exploding computer modules here

Originally Posted by deilenberger
3. Your car will explode if you plug one into it

(3 isn't necessarily true - but they do have the capability to blow up the computer modules in the car REAL GOOD - and when they do, what'cha gonna do? Complain? Haaaa.. )

You have a $60-100k vehicle. Spend the $300 for the Durametric. Don't be a cheap-***, it will come back and bite you.