Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

I f****ed up bad...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:32 PM
intheflesh has a spectacular aura aboutintheflesh has a spectacular aura aboutintheflesh has a spectacular aura about
I f****ed up bad...

In haste, I poured about 2 oz of brake fluid into the power steering reservoir. My first reaction was to syphon the fluid out of the reservoir (which I did) then I realized that the the brake fluid is more dense then the PS fluid and has probably already sank down into my ps pump. What should I do? Am I looking at replacing my whole steering rack, pump and hoses

Old 04-07-2012, 07:07 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Suck out as much as u can. If the fluid was extracted pretty quickly, i doubt it went into the ps system. You can also drain the ps fluid at the rack from under the car. Pour in some ps fluid to flush it. No need to change any hardware.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 PM
intheflesh has a spectacular aura aboutintheflesh has a spectacular aura aboutintheflesh has a spectacular aura about
I emptied the reservoir as soon as I noticed it, but I'm still nervous because the brake fluid is a lot more dense then the pentosin and probably sunk right into the ps pump.

I have not turned the car on yet or moved the steering wheel.

I bought a few liters of pentosin ($$$$ lol) to try to flush out as much ad I can.

I just dnt know how far into the system the brake fluid is

Old 04-07-2012, 10:00 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i think you don't have to worry too much. worst case, the steering rack goes bad and you replace it. i highly doubt any damage.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
They have the right idea. Just drain as much as you can, fill and flush again. Then you should be good to go when you fill again. They stated worst case. No need to replace until it happens (if at all). Good luck. Did something similar with an old car once (not much but some brake fluid into PS container - wife was distracting me too lol). Drained it and refilled and never had an issue.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Whether you do it or someone else, does it take a genius to figure out that the cheapest and easiest way to fix this and ensure that you dont have any issues, is to just have the system flushed?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Whether you do it or someone else, does it take a genius to figure out that the cheapest and easiest way to fix this and ensure that you dont have any issues, is to just have the system flushed?
A genius might suggest that draining and flushing the reservoir and lines to the PS pump BEFORE starting the engine might be the thing to really do.

The brake fluid probably didn't go past the pump (it's a gear pump, so there is no pass-through unless it's turning) - so that means the steering rack is uncontaminated right now.

If he starts it and takes it to someone to have the system flushed - he now has brake fluid throughout the system, including the most expensive part - the steering rack. Depending on the rubber used for seals in the rack that could be quite an expensive adventure.

OP - if you can't do a flush without starting it - have it flatbedded (without starting it) to someone who can. Removing the hose feeding the PS pump and simply flushing a liter or so of Pensotin through the reservoir and hose might be all it needs.. If you or your mechanic is a clever chap (or genius) - you might think of removing the serpentine belt, and after disconnecting the reservoir hose to the PS pump - turn it reverse to normal direction (by hand) - it will pump some PS fluid from the uncontaminated side (upstream from the PS pump), effectively flushing out the pump itself.

Speaking as a non-genius..

Last edited by deilenberger; 04-09-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
oseik is infamous around these parts
Agreed. Not sure this is a DIY unless you are a genius . Probably should get it towed to a good Indie.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
A genius might suggest that draining and flushing the reservoir and lines to the PS pump BEFORE starting the engine might be the thing to really do.

The brake fluid probably didn't go past the pump (it's a gear pump, so there is no pass-through unless it's turning) - so that means the steering rack is uncontaminated right now.

If he starts it and takes it to someone to have the system flushed - he now has brake fluid throughout the system, including the most expensive part - the steering rack. Depending on the rubber used for seals in the rack that could be quite an expensive adventure.

OP - if you can't do a flush without starting it - have it flatbedded (without starting it) to someone who can. Removing the hose feeding the PS pump and simply flushing a liter or so of Pensotin through the reservoir and hose might be all it needs.. If you or your mechanic is a clever chap (or genius) - you might think of removing the serpentine belt, and after disconnecting the reservoir hose to the PS pump - turn it reverse to normal direction (by hand) - it will pump some PS fluid from the uncontaminated side (upstream from the PS pump), effectively flushing out the pump itself.

Speaking as a non-genius..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
congrats on actually working on your car, even making mistakes you learn,
unlike a lot of people on here who like to write checks to the dealer.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
this happened to me....on another car by the previous owner....I drained and refilled it twice, then took it to a shop to have them completely flush the whole system. Bottom line, the p/s was toast and had to be replaced. If you caught it before starting and running the car..you might be ok. Good luck man. And let us know!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
intheflesh - so?

What happened and what did you end up doing? It's not polite to leave us in suspense like this..