Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Getting wheels refinished

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 AM
tooch is infamous around these parts
Getting wheels refinished

I'd like some feedback on whether to have my wheels powdercoated black or not. I have an '06 CTT it is a dark green metallic when the sun hits it oterwise it looks black. The PIG has 20" sport techno wheels with a severe case of curb rash and I am having them refinished. I have the option of changing them from the original silver color to black. The door trim is silver also, how do you go about blacking out the door trim to match. I know it's a matter of opinion just wondering what you all think about leaving the color original or not.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 AM
socalbd has a spectacular aura aboutsocalbd has a spectacular aura about
Original or don't go straight black, they have some other dark graphite, platinum, etc. those might look super with your color and not be black. And silver just sucks to keep up. Forever cleaning the dust...

Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Personally, I like silver wheels on a dark colored car. If you decide to powder coat them, make sure you go to a reputable shop that knows how to powder coat wheels. The high temperatures involved with the process can damage and weaken your wheels considerably.

The Sport Techno is the best looking wheel that was offered with the Cayenne. I'm sure yours look great.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:09 PM
tooch is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the replies. One of the reasons for considering black powdercoat is keeping the wheels clean is high maintainance. I like to keep my vehicles looking sharp, and the brake dust on these is a constant battle. Any suggestions on keeping them clean and will a darker color help.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
1. Avoid flat colors as they never look clean
2. Try this: http://www.migliorewax.com/wheelseal.html - it is very easy to apply and to remove - makes washing off wheels a breeze

Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
And personally - "powder coating" is way overdone.. especially on wheels. The thick paint coating is just asking to get messed up if you contact a curb, and once it starts to peel it will curl off like a curly-fry.

I had one rim refinished due to car-wash-rash (one of the rollers to guide the car scratched the lip) by a local auto body shop, who painted it (the two tone Titanium wheel finish) and then used a coat of hard clear-coat on it. It looks factory.. and cost was reasonable ($125) and done in 2 days. Other body shops wanted to call the "wheel guy" in - and charge $250 and up.. this shop did a better job for less money. All it took was visiting a few shops.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
X5X
X5X is infamous around these parts
Black

Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Personally, I'd paint them.

There are some nice wheel paints available in DIY form. If you have curb rash now then likely you will have it again. Much easier and cheaper to just touch up paint yourself than have to re-powder oat a wheel just for a touch up.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Sideslip is infamous around these parts
If you are going a dark color I would definitely go with paint. I think fresh curb rash tends to show up a lot more on dark wheels, but touch ups are a lot less noticeable than on light colors like silver.