Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne S transmission feels weird

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM
nadim is infamous around these parts
Cayenne S transmission feels weird

Hi Guys, i just joined this forum.
i just bought a Cayenne S 2005, has 135,000km great shape car.
somehow the transmission feels a bit weird, and by weird i mean sometimes i feel as if its stuck on 2nd gear, and i have to release it by using the tiptronic. if i don't and remove my foot slowly from the pedal, the car will jerk a bit. i dont know if its a normal thing. the car has a full history at the dealership, everything is in order. i don't know if the oil and filter of the transmission have been changed or not. the dampner is new as well.
is it normal behavior and im being too picky or what?
HELP
Nadim

Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nadim
Hi Guys, i just joined this forum.
i just bought a Cayenne S 2005, has 135,000km great shape car.
somehow the transmission feels a bit weird, and by weird i mean sometimes i feel as if its stuck on 2nd gear, and i have to release it by using the tiptronic. if i don't and remove my foot slowly from the pedal, the car will jerk a bit. i dont know if its a normal thing. the car has a full history at the dealership, everything is in order. i don't know if the oil and filter of the transmission have been changed or not. the dampner is new as well.
is it normal behavior and im being too picky or what?
HELP
Nadim
Although I am not 100% sure about the release part that you mentioned, Cayenne can be quite jerky. For example, if you are rolling in 2nd gear at low speed (less than 20mph or so and slowing down) and decide to accelerate semi-hard, it will pretty much break your neck. Either stomp on it or be very gentle. You just gotta get used to how to drive Cayenne in a lower gear.

Be "gentle" or "expect" what's going to happen when you tap on the accelerator. Not too long ago, I made this mistake and almost broke my passenger's neck...

My car is also 100% dealer maintained and 1 owner (Bought it new and kept it for past 6~7 years now). If we are on the same page, I don't think you have a problem but please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 PM
thank you for your reply
i guess i don't have a problem then does anyone know when are the coils supposed to be replaced?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
thank you for your reply
i guess i don't have a problem then does anyone know when are the coils supposed to be replaced?
I am guessing ignition coils? Porsche reimburses you for cracked coils. Not sure when but I replaced mine @ 20K due to cracks.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:23 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Enilder
Although I am not 100% sure about the release part that you mentioned, Cayenne can be quite jerky. For example, if you are rolling in 2nd gear at low speed (less than 20mph or so and slowing down) and decide to accelerate semi-hard, it will pretty much break your neck. Either stomp on it or be very gentle. You just gotta get used to how to drive Cayenne in a lower gear.

Be "gentle" or "expect" what's going to happen when you tap on the accelerator. Not too long ago, I made this mistake and almost broke my passenger's neck...

My car is also 100% dealer maintained and 1 owner (Bought it new and kept it for past 6~7 years now). If we are on the same page, I don't think you have a problem but please correct me if I am wrong.

i have to agree with this. i find i drive like its a stick being cognizant of what gear its in and going to.
i like to drive with the psm off in good weather and its feels like it enjoys being used in a spirited way.
drive it like a porsche and its gold. drive it like a camry and it will get buggy and jerky imo.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:12 AM
i have to agree with you cuemaster! as for the coils i dont think they will replace them for free, the car has 135000 km on. i didnt check if they are cracked yet, but have a gut feeling they need to be changed soon. any suggested brands or should i go for Porsche original?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
i have to agree with you cuemaster! as for the coils i dont think they will replace them for free, the car has 135000 km on. i didnt check if they are cracked yet, but have a gut feeling they need to be changed soon. any suggested brands or should i go for Porsche original?
Mine was out of warranty but they reimbursed. They extended warranty on coils and fortunately, I was covered under the extended warranty. You are right. Due to high kms on your car, you may not be qualified for. Also, I am not sure if it was just Porsche NA. It costed me ~$800 initially I believe.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by cuemaster
i have to agree with this. i find i drive like its a stick being cognizant of what gear its in and going to.
i like to drive with the psm off in good weather and its feels like it enjoys being used in a spirited way.
drive it like a porsche and its gold. drive it like a camry and it will get buggy and jerky imo.
Yeah when the car is warmed up. In the morning (cold start), you really can't drive it like a "Porsche." One way or the other, if you are going to DD this, you have to know the "engage" point (like MT cars).

Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 PM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Enilder
Mine was out of warranty but they reimbursed. They extended warranty on coils and fortunately, I was covered under the extended warranty. You are right. Due to high kms on your car, you may not be qualified for. Also, I am not sure if it was just Porsche NA. It costed me ~$800 initially I believe.
extended warranty on the coils is good until the end of 2012 or 160,000 KM....but to get the full replacement they have to be series 001 otherwise they will only replace the individual defective coil.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by thor7000
extended warranty on the coils is good until the end of 2012 or 160,000 KM....but to get the full replacement they have to be series 001 otherwise they will only replace the individual defective coil.
Can you elaborate on series 001? All 8 coils were cracked for my case (my service advisor showed them to me). I guess if you have a good relationship with a dealer, perhaps he might replace all of them even though you don't have all of them cracked (?). This info might be beneficial to OP.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by thor7000
I bought my car from Dubai, and shipped it to Beirut. the funniest part is that Porsche dealer is asking for 1650$ for a "file opening fee" before they check the car and see if all recalls have been made!(their explanation is that i didnt buy the car from them, eventhough it was under extended warranty untill late 2011) Mechanics' fees are dirt cheap in Beirut(a good mechanic will charge me arround 50$ labor to replace the coils), but Dealers are like in every country, CROOKS!!