Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DRL Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:52 PM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cawhale
Alright bansasn...I will wait for your images and hopefully I can be as handy as you thanks first.
Thanks for the patient. I was hopeing to get my truck back today. The dealer called and said the part did not come in. It won't be done until Tuesday. I'll post images of the DRL wiring next weekend.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
fullmetaljacket is infamous around these parts
I want these! :-)

Originally Posted by bansasn
Just wanted to shared what I did this weekend. Enjoy! 2005 CTT
This is exactly the look that I want! The grill is exactly like mine except mine is colored silver. I know the pix and install details are coming and would really appreciate that.

Just a few questions for now which I hope you won't mind:

1. Why did you mount the DRL's on the 2nd slot and not on the 1st slot right below the headlight assembly? (It looks better for you or there was an obstruction in the rear part?)

2. Isn't 10 minutes too long before the DRL's turn off? Is that the ideal / recommended way to install them? Is there any other way of wiring them? Does the DRL package come with an install diagram?

TIA for any response!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:12 PM
cawhale is infamous around these parts
I got it installed and it's working great!

>>1. Why did you mount the DRL's on the 2nd slot and not on the 1st slot right below the headlight assembly? (It looks better for you or there was an obstruction in the rear part?)

2nd slot seems to fit well. 1st slot is not long enough because of the curve.

>>2. Isn't 10 minutes too long before the DRL's turn off? Is that the ideal / recommended way to install them? Is there any other way of wiring them? Does the DRL package come with an install diagram?

I strapped to the side marker. Thought that's easier but may not be the best solution. So far it's working fine.

Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 AM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
I got it installed and it's working great!

>>1. Why did you mount the DRL's on the 2nd slot and not on the 1st slot right below the headlight assembly? (It looks better for you or there was an obstruction in the rear part?)

2nd slot seems to fit well. 1st slot is not long enough because of the curve.

>>2. Isn't 10 minutes too long before the DRL's turn off? Is that the ideal / recommended way to install them? Is there any other way of wiring them? Does the DRL package come with an install diagram?

I strapped to the side marker. Thought that's easier but may not be the best solution. So far it's working fine.
1. I wanted to line the DRL with the center bar of the middle grille. I think its appropiate and right. A car designer in me wanted to keep all the lines cohesive.

2. 10 minutes is a little long. But it's an LED. It hardly used that much juice. When you hook up to the side marker, does the DRL turn on alone when the key turn or you have to turn on the parking light for the DRL to work? In my case the DRL turns on when the ignition is on.

As promised...I had put an images of my wiring. This is not a full DIY but it will give an idea how to approach installing this kind of DRL. As long as it helped the community in some way I'm glad I can be an assist to some.

Attached Images      
Old 07-21-2012, 02:56 AM
continue...

Attached Images      
Old 07-21-2012, 02:57 AM
continue..

Attached Images      
Old 07-21-2012, 03:02 AM
continue..

A few more steps.

Attached Images      
Old 07-21-2012, 03:03 AM
A few more steps.

And finaly the last step. Enjoy!

Attached Images    
Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 AM
Great work here bansasn. Very much appreciated. I will order the DRL's first then do this. I'm thinking of adding a kill switch somewhere inside. Not sure yet but Id like try it. Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Great job bansasn, and thanks for sharing. I am sure it will benefit who wants to install DRL on their cayenne.

>>When you hook up to the side marker, does the DRL turn on alone when the key turn or you have to turn on the parking light for the DRL to work?

I have Canadian car so the sidemarkers are always on. However, I don't like the yellowish of the bulbs. How does your look after you changed to white bulb? I am thinking to remove the bulbs completely which I think they don't make a difference. I am also thinking to either convert the headlights to HID or simply replace the bulbs to super white halogen. Any suggestions?

Old 07-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Great job bansasn, and thanks for sharing. I am sure it will benefit who wants to install DRL on their cayenne.

>>When you hook up to the side marker, does the DRL turn on alone when the key turn or you have to turn on the parking light for the DRL to work?

I have Canadian car so the sidemarkers are always on. However, I don't like the yellowish of the bulbs. How does your look after you changed to white bulb? I am thinking to remove the bulbs completely which I think they don't make a difference. I am also thinking to either convert the headlights to HID or simply replace the bulbs to super white halogen. Any suggestions?
Glad I can helped. The community here provided me alot of info. So it's best to give something in return. Changing just the bulb for your side marker will not make a different. You have to changed to the clear lense. Check out this video...
this is how bright my side markers are. With LED bulbs and clear side markers. My CTT comes with Xenon head lights. I'm not to sure how effective the HID or super white halogen can be. I'm sure both are super white. You might have to try it out to see the effect.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 AM
other fuse - immediate off?

It was very simple. The light comes on when ignition is turned. No flip switch. I wired to the engine fuse box. Fuse #9 by using a piggyback fuse tap I bought from Pepboys. I wired the ground to the bolt next to the engine fuse box. The light turn off by it self 10 minutes after the engine is off. I think the DRL was proramed that way for short circuit purposes. When I get some free time I'll post pictures how I ran the wiring without drilling.
Thanks for this info. But is there any other FUSE in the engine fusebox which has an IMMEDIATE OFF when the ignition is switched off? Can you route a piggyback fuse setup to the inside driver side fusebox. I think there's an ignition activated power supply there ...? (not sure)

Old 07-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
Thanks for this info. But is there any other FUSE in the engine fusebox which has an IMMEDIATE OFF when the ignition is switched off? Can you route a piggyback fuse setup to the inside driver side fusebox. I think there's an ignition activated power supply there ...? (not sure)
I have tried every fuses in the engine fusebox and I still get the same result. I am aware there is an ignition fuse in the interior fusebox. But I want to avoid drilling the fire wall. I don't think it's worth the effort to drill a $50K+ vehicle for a small thing like this. I have installed another DRL to my Prius. The difference is that the light is always on when the positive is connected to the fuse or piggyback to a fuse. To avoid this I hook the positive wire of the DRLto the relay fuse unit. By connecting to the relay the DRL for the Prius turns off and on when the key are turned. Having said that...I think the same principle can be applied to the Cayenne if there is a relay in the engine bay area. I personally have no problem for the DRL to turn off later. The LEDs hardly used that much juice compared to a regular bulbs.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi bansasn, what type of bulbs you used for sidemarkers? I replaced the clear ones as well but the oem bulbs are yellowish. I also have xenon headlights on my cayenne turbo but I want more white. BTW, I may have to rewrite the DRL using your method

Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 AM
BTW I figured our the bulbs that I want to replace:

D1S, H3, W5W

W5W (LED) for sidemarker and inside headlights.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DRL Installed