Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DRL Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:31 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
slant83 and cawhale, do you have exactly the same type of DRL Siwtch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Daytime-...376e30&vxp=mtr

it seems that one worked and the other did not :-( I'm assuming you connected to the correct terminals right? Do they accept returns/exchange perhaps? I hope they do.
That is the one...I wired it directly to battery in the Boxster. I haven't gotten around to the Cayenne yet. I'll probably direct wire and not use the auto switch when I wire to the passenger side interior fuse box like I did for my radar on the same fuse tap. A bigger job and just waiting for a break in the heat. Next rainy day !!!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 AM
fullmetaljacket is infamous around these parts
Just wanted to update the thread and let everyone know that yes you can pop out the grill in the picture above. Also, (added info) i was able to upgrade my foglight H11 bulbs because they are accessible after I pulled out the grills.

Any news or update on the non working DRL Switch from ebay?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 AM
silverbullet69 is infamous around these parts
Awesome didnt know that, two birds with one stone.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 PM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
Just wanted to update the thread and let everyone know that yes you can pop out the grill in the picture above. Also, (added info) i was able to upgrade my foglight H11 bulbs because they are accessible after I pulled out the grills.

Any news or update on the non working DRL Switch from ebay?
Could you post a video how you pulled out the grills? It look so impossible and I am afraid to even trying it. Many thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 AM
cawhale is infamous around these parts
I heard some posts say the grills have doubleside tape attached but mine don't have. Just pull straight to yourself. When pulling, shake it loose a bit. I will take video when I get a chance.

I am waiting for replacement on DRL switch purchased on ebay.

Also I was able to replace the headlights to 8000K Xeon, works great, though I should go with 10000K, which looks more blue. I also replaced the corning light (LED wont work!), and the bulbs to LED inside headlights as well as side markers. They look awesome all together!

I also blacked out the b and c pillars, will post some pics

Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 AM
Hole on the engine firewall???

Originally Posted by slant83
That is the one...I wired it directly to battery in the Boxster. I haven't gotten around to the Cayenne yet. I'll probably direct wire and not use the auto switch when I wire to the passenger side interior fuse box like I did for my radar on the same fuse tap. A bigger job and just waiting for a break in the heat. Next rainy day !!!
Just in case my DRL switch is defective as well, i would like to run a wire from the DRLs to the fusebox inside the passenger's cabin. Is there a hole on the engine firewall where i can run the wires through? I prefer the drivers side. Anyone who has had experience in running some wires or some other things from the engine compartment to the passenger cabin?

@bansasn - I will try to shoot a video removing the grills. Use a plastic panel removal tool.

@cawhale - No error messages when you changed your foglights to HIDs? Did you just tap the wiring to the existing foglights line?

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 08-23-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Guys, got the DRLs in the mail today yahoo.

I tried fitting the DRL assembly into the 2nd slot but its too thick. When i try forcing it inwards the fins get kinda pregnant :-( Did you do anything special to your DRLS or grills so that you can push them inwards? If not, then how many millimeters did your DRLS protrude? I want the DRLS to be more inward and like them to appear flat and not protruding to give a more OEM look. Will this be possible?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Guys, got the DRLs in the mail today yahoo.

I tried fitting the DRL assembly into the 2nd slot but its too thick. When i try forcing it inwards the fins get kinda pregnant :-( Did you do anything special to your DRLS or grills so that you can push them inwards? If not, then how many millimeters did your DRLS protrude? I want the DRLS to be more inward and like them to appear flat and not protruding to give a more OEM look. Will this be possible?
Yes they are thicker than the space for about few mm. You have to push hard inwards. Because you have to put doubleside tape on top and bottom, it will be hard to push it in as it will stick on the grill before you push it I wet the doubleside tape with some water, push, and hold until it's dry. Just how I did it but there's a risk of washing out the adhesive if too much water.

I didn't change the foglights but the only low beam. Mine already has xenon, so just replaced the xenon bulbs. The cornering lights require halogen and LED won't work because the current draw (wattage) is different.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Update on DRL on/off switch. I received replacement unit today and have installed it. So far it's working perfectly I will keep an eye on it. I guess the earlier unit is defective.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the updates and tips.

I hope my DRL switch works.

Just wanted to share my initial install pix with you guys. I sanded off excess plastics and was able to flushmount the DRLs. I used plastic that came from a BMW E36 bumper lying around the garage to add support to the back part and force the DRL housing to get farther inside the grill (if you don't have a bimmer bumper, you can always use any hard plastic sheets :-))

Name:  20120825_133019.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  20120825_132951.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  120.1 KB

Im just gonna route the wirings with the DRL switch. Hopefully, everything will work out. Will take some pictures again after complete install. Hope these gives you more ideas how to install the DRLs.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by cawhale
Update on DRL on/off switch. I received replacement unit today and have installed it. So far it's working perfectly I will keep an eye on it. I guess the earlier unit is defective.
Today, it kept going on and off every few seconds and now it's completely off, i am so frustrated!!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:34 AM
It is fortunate that mine are working perfectly. Here is to complete the install pictures...

Name:  2012-08-28192228.png
Views: 1631
Size:  969.3 KB

Name:  20120828_082635.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  20120828_082640.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  110.0 KB

To all you guys in this thread...thanks for all your inputs!

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 08-28-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Can you post the wiring? esp the relay on/off switch?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 AM
hope this helps

Originally Posted by cawhale
Can you post the wiring? esp the relay on/off switch?

Thanks
sorry for not being able to take pictures of the relay installation. However, I can try and explain how I did the DRL switch relay install...

1. Assuming you have already mounted the DRL's on the grill, remove both passenger and driver's side headlight assemblies. This will enable you to have access to the back part where you will route and tuck in the DRL wirings.

2. After tucking in and routing the DRL wirings towards the driver's side headlight hole or silo, you will see huge ribbed wire tubings inside. This is where I securely zipped tied the DRL relay box and also the excess wires.

3. Inside this headlight silo, you will be able to route the DRL switch's power wiring (red colored power wire) towards the battery jumper cable terminal (this is the one beside the brake fluid plastic container).

4. There is also a bolt located somewhere on the left side of the silo where you can bolt on the DRL relay's ground wire ring (black colored power wire). Look for an 8' nut to secure and tighten the connection.

5. Remove the red plastic cover revealing the terminal and force the aluminum ring tip of the red positive wire into the small hole directly into the top of the battery jumper terminal and plug in some small lead materials so that the wire will remain snuggingly secured.

6. Don't forget to put the red plastic cover back to protect the terminal.

7. I did not bother to connect the yellow wire which was intended as an auto off switch when you turn on your headlights. Just put a shrink tube on it and zip tie it together with the excess wirings.

That's it!

Insert your key into the ignition and power up. Your DRL's will light up when you turn the key and will turn off when you power down. There is however a slight delay before the DRL's go out - maybe around 2 seconds. In my case I don't mind the slight delay. In some cases the FRL's also momentarily turn on when you lock and unlock your vehicle using the remote but remains off when ignition is not turned on.

I hope it stays this way. I'm contemplating on ordering another switch for my MB. Will wait for a month beofre I do so just to be sure.

Shoot some questions if you get lost in the install. For me, it was mainly common sense and stock knowledge I used for the install. I hope this helps. Cheers!

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 08-29-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. That's how I did it. My DRL works for a while but after a few drives, when I turn off the engine, it turns off, then after xx seconds, it turns on and off every xx seconds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DRL Installed