Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2006 Cayenne S Titanium Edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
TOats99377 is infamous around these parts
2006 Cayenne S Titanium Edition

We just bought our first Porsche Cayenne and we're picking it up tomorrow. Yet, we still haven't figured out what to do about a warranty. The car has just under 47,000 miles on it and we'll be the third owners. It has mostly highway miles and hasn't been in any accidents, according to the Carfax. It's also been meticulously maintained and it's in excellent condition inside and out.

The dealer has offered a warranty up to 100,000 miles or 4 years for $3,600. I'm torn about it. I've read on the forum about the coils, cardan shaft and coolant pipes. In an ideal world, I'd have the coolant pipes changed now and I'm prepared to pay for the other things. I just don't want to be stuck paying all that money upfront if it'll end up going to waste in the long run.

I know not buying the warranty is a risk, but whenever I have made an extended warranty investment, I've come out on the losing end.

Thoughts?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:46 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
For what its worth, I would just escrow the $$$ yourself and enjoy.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by slant83
For what its worth, I would just escrow the $$$ yourself and enjoy.
That's what I think but my husband is afraid something will go wrong. It's a risk, I understand and if I'd read about a host of problems with that model and year (other than those mentioned), I'd feel differently.

Thank you.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
I have 06 Cayenne S (original owner) and the car is rock solid. I paid tire replacement warranty because it was relatively cheap but I ended up not using it. IMO, warranties are useless. Just get the car, replace coolant pipes and coils, and enjoy.

Cardan shafts (I think it's not the shaft itself but the bearings) aren't that big of a deal. I haven't replaced mine but couple weeks ago when I got coolant pipes replaced, I was told it has a minor crack. Unlike coolant pipes, it won't break other things so you can replace when you start to feel it (although, I am thinking of replacing it in near future).

Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 AM
1hotpepper is infamous around these parts
To me if it is bumper to bumper I would do it, I have a 06 and it is in the shop now for coolant pipes, next it will be the shaft work as it has been diagnosed and the head lights are acting up and a replacement for both est $1500. And I have had her 6 months!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Just a warning - MANY aftermarket warranties consider the coolant pipes "hoses" - and they specifically deny coverage for hoses. You need to read the actual policy (not the glossy brochure) very carefully so see what it actually covers. If the party selling the warranty won't show you the actual policy, run away.

Also - dealers love to sell insurance policies - there is a 100% markup on them at the retail level.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I still haven't decided. I was aware of the "hose" classification and called the warranty company. They will not cover it because they consider it a "hose," not a pipe. Thanks everyone!

Torri

Old 08-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Figure out common problems of 06 CS model and get an estimate from your dealer. If it's more than $3600, buy it. Otherwise, skip it. Also consider how long you will be keeping the vehicle. I don't think this is a difficult decision because considering the age of the vehicle and semi-average mileage, you will face the known issues.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I bought an extended warranty from my Porsche dealer when I bought my 2004 CS. I don't recall exactly what I paid for it, but I believe it was around $3,400. I never used it, and the car now has 108K on the clock. It was a waste of $3,400. Of course my fuel pump failed and my water pump failed not long after the warranty expired, but they still cost less than the warranty. If I had it to do all over again, I'd save the money and not buy the warranty.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:58 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I would rather use that money to replace the coolant pipes. If your previous owners had coils issue, then your Cayenne probably has the extended warranty, which my Cayenne has.

I've heard 2006 late built models are okay with Cardon shaft, but don't quote me on it though.

Congrats! I also have titanium edition, it's definitely special one, especially for NA guy like me

Old 08-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by pcst
I would rather use that money to replace the coolant pipes. If your previous owners had coils issue, then your Cayenne probably has the extended warranty, which my Cayenne has.

I've heard 2006 late built models are okay with Cardon shaft, but don't quote me on it though.

Congrats! I also have titanium edition, it's definitely special one, especially for NA guy like me
I have a late model and it began to crack. It's nothing to sweat about though.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm loving my baby.

At any rate, took it to the mechanic over the weekend to double check everything. Of course, everything looked good but they noticed it cut off a couple of times right after it was started. We're going to have them diagnose it and (hopefully) have the dealer pay for the fix since it's still under their 3 month/3,000 mile warranty.

If anyone in NY is looking for a good mechanic/garage, check out Bay Diagnostic in Brooklyn. The garage is clean and filled with high end cars. Staff is nice and they do complimentary pick ups in Manhattan. For $89/hour, you can't beat it in this area.

Torri