Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Looking to add a hitch to my 06 turbo s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 AM
underpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond repute
Looking to add a hitch to my 06 turbo s

My cayenne didn't come with a hitch but had everything else I wanted so I bought it figuring I could always add a hitch. When I was under the car the other night I was trying to see where the hitch reciever would bolt to but didn't look like there was any empty holes. Does it bolt on where the bumper absorbers (not sure what to call them) are bolted? Does anyone have a pictures of where it bolts?

For those of you that have added a hitch to your car did you go with oem porsche or an aftermarket company? If aftermarket what company? I am not going to be hooking up lights as I have read it can cause some issue but am going to mount a scooter/motorcycle rack on it to haul my ruckus around.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
The rear bumper comes off - the reinforcement behind the bumper is unbolted and the hitch assembly bolts up in it's place. A few minutes with google will undoubtably turn up photos and videos of installing one (since the aftermarket vendors do have videos up on line.)

Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM
underpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond reputeunderpressure02 has a reputation beyond repute
I was looking at buying the curt hitch off of ebay but it says some triming maybe required. Do you know if I will need to cut up the back bumper?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by underpressure02
I was looking at buying the curt hitch off of ebay but it says some triming maybe required. Do you know if I will need to cut up the back bumper?
I would suggest you stick with the OEM bumper hitch replacement. At one point, I considered getting a CTT w/o a hitch and adding it afterwards. There was another thread that showed side-by-side the build quality differences between the aftermarket solutions and the OEM solution.

The net is that the OEM one is much better built. Although saving $$$ is tempting, I wouldn't feel as comfortable towing with something of lesser quality.

Here is a pic of the OEM bumper hitch replacement:

Old 09-19-2012, 07:52 AM
I did some more researching last night and looking around and found that I will need to cut or as some people call it trim the rear bumper/roll pan so the hitch fits in there. I don't know how I feel about cutting or triming my bumper and not sure if that would detract from the value of the car.

I agree the oem hitch looks much strong but all I was going to use it for was to attach something like this

So that I can take my ruckus places without having to throw it in the back of my dully. The only other thing I would tow would be a quad around again to save on gas since my dully gets like 8-10mpg.

My main concern is how it would look and if it would decrease the value of the car with it installed.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
An OEM hitch will not detract from the value at all. In fact, it will probably increase your market if you decide to sell, since people who want a hitch will prefer your vehicle, and people who won't use the hitch generally don't care if it has one or not. As long as your bumper trimming is done well, it will be hard to tell that it didn't come like that from the factory.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I am with XR4Tim. Why would it decrease value? It is a truck made to tow, not a 911..

Besides that, the Porsche technical document on how to install a trailer hitch on a Cayenne after configured, tells you to cut the rear bumper. See attachment.

This is no different than my factory-option hitch - it has a small cutout under the bumper for the receiver.

FWIW, I would still go with the more robust hitch. You can never tell what you "may" need to tow in future.

Just promised that you will NOT do this with your new tow hitch :

Attached Files
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am pretty certain I can do a good job triming for the hitch just wanted other peoples thoughts. I read some posts saying people prefer the car without the hitch that is what got me thinking if I wanted to cut the bumper for it.

As far as towing other things or large things I really use my dully for that since that is really its only purpose in life is to tow and swallow gas like there is no tomorrow.