Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

The Beloved Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 PM
nuttersandy is infamous around these parts
The Beloved Drive Shaft

Hey Guys,

My 2004 Porsche Cayenne V6, blew it's rubber donut yesterday on the driveshaft. I've read a lot of the replacements that people are doing, but many have said the OEM continues to fail after every 70k miles (which is unacceptable from Porsche IMO).

I've heard about a company Vertex Auto and Colorado Drive shaft replacements, and wanted to here from any of you who have actually had this replacement done? Replacing the bearing is not an option for me as the Indy shop said that they replaced it but the problem was to evident.

I don't think it's worth spending the $1,500 on my cayenne that is worth close to Camry, $14,500 so that is my reason to not go back to the OEM driveshaft which inevitably fail one day again.

So how has your replacement aftermarket drive shaft held up?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:56 AM
henry54 is infamous around these parts
Hi, I own a Cayenne S 2006 Titanium Edition and had that issue at 60000 miles. Had the rubber donut reeplaced by Vertex in Miami Fl. The cost is about $ 500 + labor ($150). So far no problems ( 75000 miles)

Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by nuttersandy
Hey Guys,

My 2004 Porsche Cayenne V6, blew it's rubber donut yesterday on the driveshaft. I've read a lot of the replacements that people are doing, but many have said the OEM continues to fail after every 70k miles (which is unacceptable from Porsche IMO).
First of all this need some perspective.

A). Every car on earth needs driveshaft/axleshaft work done on it. Its simply a maintenance item.

B) The shafts that are being put in now are like 8 revisions further down the line than the original shaft in your 2004. Not many people have put an extra 70K on the newer shafts to see if they last longer or not.

C). EVERY car on earth needs maintained. Basing the value of keeping a car on the road vs. the value of some other random car is a friggen silly way to look at it. $500 or $1,500 is much cheaper than a car payment. (and that car will eventually need maintained too). $500 or $1,500 and you are still driving a Cayenne, not a cheap Camary. ....and FWIW my Mom's Camary has cost mjch more to maintain than my CTT. It needed a transmission at 70K, multiple window motor and regulator fixes, etc etc.

I got my replacement driveshaft from the place in Colorado (I live here) at about 90K. Have about 101K on it now. Owner is a total *****, refused to give me my core charge back because it was broken more than he expected.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
nuttersandy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cole
First of all this need some perspective.

A). Every car on earth needs driveshaft/axleshaft work done on it. Its simply a maintenance item.

B) The shafts that are being put in now are like 8 revisions further down the line than the original shaft in your 2004. Not many people have put an extra 70K on the newer shafts to see if they last longer or not.

C). EVERY car on earth needs maintained. Basing the value of keeping a car on the road vs. the value of some other random car is a friggen silly way to look at it. $500 or $1,500 is much cheaper than a car payment. (and that car will eventually need maintained too). $500 or $1,500 and you are still driving a Cayenne, not a cheap Camary. ....and FWIW my Mom's Camary has cost mjch more to maintain than my CTT. It needed a transmission at 70K, multiple window motor and regulator fixes, etc etc.

I got my replacement driveshaft from the place in Colorado (I live here) at about 90K. Have about 101K on it now. Owner is a total *****, refused to give me my core charge back because it was broken more than he expected.
I was sarcastically saying the Camry comment. I have even read some people in there 2009 Cayenne's having this particular drive shaft problem. Was your driveshaft replacement from:

http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/porsche_cayenne.htm

I want to make sure that I repair it properly, I don't care if it costs me more to go with Porsche's OEM as long as it lasts, that is my only concern. I would not make sense to replace the exact same drive shaft and not try an alternative that says that it is stronger and superior than OEM.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Yes. Mine was from there. Probably would have been a more positive experience if I had not gone to pick it up. I don't see anything about it that would convince me it's better than stock. But you can get 3 of them for the price of a new stock one. Fairly simple diy.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Scarpoolla is infamous around these parts
I bought the drive shaft replacement support sold by Vertex. The install was pretty simple if you have the jack stands and basic mechanical knowledge. Only tricky part is cutting the old support off while laying on your back and having sparks fly in your face. The support worked very well and took the vibration out of the shaft. I only got one day of test driving before I blew a coolant pipe on 9/23/2012. FML

Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 PM
rymo926 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Scarpoolla
I bought the drive shaft replacement support sold by Vertex. The install was pretty simple if you have the jack stands and basic mechanical knowledge. Only tricky part is cutting the old support off while laying on your back and having sparks fly in your face. The support worked very well and took the vibration out of the shaft. I only got one day of test driving before I blew a coolant pipe on 9/23/2012. FML
damn

Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM
eVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant future
Mine blew on the weekend as well at 78K in 05 CTT. Local shop replaced it with Cayenne part - $893 part, $285 labor. They said that the Touareg part is the same and costs more. They said they have replaced more on V6s than on V8s and even less on TTs.

Wish I could have just replaced the bushing like in my older cars. Cost of entertainment for us.