Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

New member intro & panoramic roof thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 AM
ayrton is infamous around these parts
New member intro & panoramic roof thread

Hey everybody,
my name is Maurizio and I'm a 911 owner.
Now I'm considering to add a Cay 4.5 S to my garage and I've seen one with the pano roof.
It's very cool, and my children will appreciate it too, but I'm in doubt about the reliability on a 2005 car.
I would consider the positive points and those against it (like the Kgs that would raise the center of gravity of the car), so every consideration will be useful to me.

thanks a lot

Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
PCCB is infamous around these parts
Cayennes are an exceptional breed of cars. They seem to defy the laws of physics when pushed especialy the turbo or S versions and one thing these cars have built their reputation on is reliability. These are Porsches. Try to put your hands on a low mileage car if possible or one that has a clear and clean traceable history with all the proper maintenance done.
I own 2 Cayennes one is a 2009 turbo and the other a 958 2011 Cayenne S. Believe me I have driven these cars like I would my 911s. Dont worry about the center of gravity unless you're planning to take tight curves at a 100 mph.
By the way, the panoramic roof on the 955-957s is cooler and bigger than on 958s and your kids will love you for it.

Last edited by PCCB; 01-28-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 AM
thanks a lot PCCB,
I'm happy to know that the car has a so good reputation.
Do you think the panoramic roof has the same good reputation or the lot of functions can generate problems on a 8 years old car?
I ask this since on my 993cab I experienced a couple of troubles (but this much older, about 17 years old)
Maurizio

Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Thumbs up

Dear Maurizio,

the panoramic roof on the 957 is made of 4 panel component unlike the 958 so the moving parts and openning configurations are much more. I had to lubricate mine after I bought it and that was all since then. I think you'll be safe, of course regular full openning of the roof, at least once every couple of weeks, helps to lubricate all the parts and keep them working smoothly.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
I don't have pano on my ctt but I think pccb is right, if you make sure it is working correctly now before you buy and you use it regularly you should be good to go. Hopefully some pano owners will chime in.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Nader is infamous around these parts
Sorry to jump in but can you detail the lubrication procedure? I have a few squeaks that I plan on tending to once the weather warms up.

Originally Posted by PCCB
Dear Maurizio,

the panoramic roof on the 957 is made of 4 panel component unlike the 958 so the moving parts and openning configurations are much more. I had to lubricate mine after I bought it and that was all since then. I think you'll be safe, of course regular full openning of the roof, at least once every couple of weeks, helps to lubricate all the parts and keep them working smoothly.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Lubrication has to with silicon based lubricant oil that is very light and won't gather particles like thick grease or oil.
Open the pano roof fully and spray moderately on the track and visible moveable parts. Wipe off the lubricant from the rubber gaskets.
Close and open fully a few times. If the squeaks don't subside then its better to have it done in your Porsche dealership during maintenance.

Last edited by PCCB; 01-30-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
well,
I'm going to see some cars, among these I look forward to test a cay with pano roof, so I'll see the global effect and the absence of wind noise.
No doubt about the car, today I've seen a youtube video with some offroad scenes; this car can race on a track and cross the desert at the same time...

Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 PM
williamr91 is infamous around these parts
PCCB Thanks for the tip on lubing up the track and such as my pano roof squeaks like crazy, and doesn't always want to open/close/do what it should do.

The wind noise really isn't bad at all...sometimes I forget how much louder the car sounds outside when I'm in it. It is the darn squeaks that gets me, I will never buy another pano roof car due to that. However the times it works...I love it.

The car itself is a wonderful machine, whether I'm on a back dirt road in the country, the city, or a nice smooth highway, this thing works wonders. It also feels Much Smaller than it is, three things I wish I would have got...turbos air suspension, and chassis control...looks like I should have just got a turbo haha. But overall i'm loving the CS and will own another Cayenne (GTS or Turbo though).

Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 AM
richie996 is infamous around these partsrichie996 is infamous around these parts
I have an 09 GTS with the Pano roof. I live in NJ, when it's colder the pano roof tends to be creakier/noisy. I also had an annoying creak that was silenced with a small piece of felt.

Outside of that, the pano roof is great, but based on experience I've had with Porsche cars and sunroofs in my life (944s2, 996, 996 c4s, Cayenne w/pano), the sunroofs are all noisy after some time. Minor rattles, maintenance, etc.

Just turn the radio louder, or open the windows...

-Richie

Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Sjt0017 is infamous around these parts
The pano roof is one of my favorite options on the truck. I'm in NJ too, it creaks a little when it's cold & you first start up the truck and drive it, but honestly with the heater and radio on I really don't notice it at all. Felt tape in the back of the track and light lubricant and you'll be set. If you don't get a pig with a pano roof, you'll always wonder what it was like to have one that did!

Shane