Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Warning 957 Cardan Shaft and Horns Replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
Warning 957 Cardan Shaft and Horns Replaced

The cardan shaft failed in my 2010 GTS at 48.5K miles. Also, test your horns, there is a design defect that allows water to seep into the contacts that corrodes them. I've experienced this on two 2010 957's. My passenger seat airbag and seat sensors were also replaced, this seems to be anotber common failure, at least according to my SA. Thank goodness I was still under my OEM warranty, otherwise $3K.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 4ocious
The cardan shaft failed in my 2010 GTS at 48.5K miles. Also, test your horns, there is a design defect that allows water to seep into the contacts that corrodes them. I've experienced this on two 2010 957's. My passenger seat airbag and seat sensors were also replaced, this seems to be anotber common failure, at least according to my SA. Thank goodness I was still under my OEM warranty, otherwise $3K.
Interesting to see Porsche still didn't fix two of the problems that the 955 series had (cardan shaft and horns..) Haven't heard of many seat sensor failures on the earlier model - perhaps Porsche de-proved this part.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Interesting to see Porsche still didn't fix two of the problems that the 955 series had (cardan shaft and horns..) Haven't heard of many seat sensor failures on the earlier model - perhaps Porsche de-proved this part.
are coolant pipes fixed in 957s? i think early 957s still have plastic.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
957s have a totally different coolant distribution system. They use a single coolant pipe under the intake plenum, instead of the 4-pipe system that the 955 used. It is a plastic pipe, but I don't know of any cases of it failing.

958s also continue to use the same style of horn in a location which is likely to allow moisture to get to them.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Looked at SWMBO's new Lexus RX-350 yesterday. I can see the horns through the front grille.. they appear to be FIAMM clones (snail type horn.) What's interesting is they have a plastic cover over the horn opening. It doesn't quite seal to the horn, sort of clips on. The horns are mounted directly behind the upper grill, about centered on it vertically.

If I had to guess the covers are to prevent water intrusion when splashing through big puddles. The horn openings also face down (which likely helps.) Wonder if something like this might help the Cayenne horn problem? Perhaps we could borrow an idea from Lexus' Relentless Pursuit of Perfection (you think they would have found it by now..)