Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 AM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
Which would you choose?

I'm in the final stages of my SUV purchase and have narrowed down to 2 specific vehicles:

2005 Cayenne Turbo
-75K miles
-titanium metallic on black
-1-owner
-1 key
-Carden shafts done
-Coolant tubes not done
-4-zone air
-No accidents
-No warranty
-$25K (add 2K for 3/36K warranty)

2008 BMW X5 4.8i
-70K miles
-black on black
-2-owners
-2 keys
-navigation
-4-zone air
-Pano
-heated/cooled seats
-DVD
-heads up display
-pano
-minor accident in first year of service
-1 year remaining on CPO warranty
-$25.5K

I really like the idea of adding another Porsche turbo to the garage, but the X5 is a very attractive package.

What would you do and why? Thanks for your opinions!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Jason82 has a spectacular aura aboutJason82 has a spectacular aura about
Turbo FTW!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Saggio is infamous around these parts
Cayenne

Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
What is the purpose or need behind the SUV?

Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Worldisyourz is infamous around these parts
Porsche all the way!!! You don't want to be an owner of a high mileage BMW.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
why 1 key? lost it or something? i hope the turbo has more than just 4 zone air...

if cardan shaft and coolant pipes are replaced, it's a solid vehicle. i'd go turbo without a doubt.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
What is the purpose or need behind the SUV?
Good family hauler. We have an ML350 now, which replaced an SRX.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 PM
X5X
X5X is infamous around these parts
Your asking a cayenne forum to help you decide between an X5 and a cayenne? Please I've owned 3 X5s in the past, 3.0sd, x5m and now a 2013 40d TT. Two completely different beasts, but overall as a family hauler I would go for the X5. Easier to use everyday, better MPG and by the sound of it, the X5 is a better spec than the cayenne. Its also newer. But it would be cool to have two porsches in the garage Whickever one you choose, its an improvement from the ML.

Last edited by X5X; 02-28-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
get the 3/36 extra warranty on the turbo

Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Get the Cayenne. You can have the pipes done and order another key. Once the issues are addressed, they are very reliable. They are also about as much fun as you can have in an SUV!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
I spent quite a bit of time in my buddies X5 4.8 before buying my Cayenne Turbo.

The 4.8l sounds cool. Nice car overall. But nowhere near the sports SUV the Cayenne is. Power, handling, towing, real 4x4, just a different creature.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BOOSTD
Good family hauler. We have an ML350 now, which replaced an SRX.
I am neutral on this one. I may be wrong, however, I get the impression that you have modest/average expectations from your next SUV - in which both vehicles would be "fine". However, it doesn't seem like you are necessarily going after the Cayenne's biggest strengths - HP/TQ, towing, braking, air suspension, handling, locking differentials, low range gear, ground clearance, water fording. In this case, I would run the numbers in an effort to get the best value by trying to calculate depreciation rates for the next 3 years or so.

FWIW, I personally consider the CTT/S to be an "experience goods" item. Which is an economist term that means that a value of an item cannot be fully ascertained until you experience it. Yes, I am admittedly spoiled and could not consider a X5 for myself. I drank the kool-aid .

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 03-01-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
These were my two choices before I pulled the trigger on the Cayenne. If you are going to choose the BMW I would put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger on that right now.....just sayin' :_)

Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm getting the Cayenne and will buy the coolant pipe kit from Suncoast and use the ECS instructions on the swap. I'll post pics when I take delivery.