Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Respray interior console trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Glebel2000 is infamous around these parts
Red face Respray interior console trim

Hi, I want to re-spray paint the silver trim pieces that surround the centre console and gear shift on my '06 S, as they are looking scratched. I think the colour is Satin Aluminium, but have been unable to locate the exact colour in spray cans. The trim pieces look easy enough to remove, but I need to match the colour exactly as most of the matching trim is perfect. Has anyone done this before and managed to get an exact paint match? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glebel2000
I think the colour is Satin Aluminium, but have been unable to locate the exact colour in spray cans.
It is "real" aluminum- not plastic. No econobox here. G/L

Old 03-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I have thought about the same thing! IMHO I think the best option to refinish is to take the parts to a blaster that can soda blast them or something to restore the finish.

Even better, I'd like to find the rubberized finish that covers the ashtray, window switch covers, vents, steering wheel buttons, etc. The crap gets sticky and gooey and I've tried replacing them only to have it happen again. Its driving me insane. Seriously considering wrapping it all with a 3M carbon look or such.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 PM
aspenone is infamous around these partsaspenone is infamous around these parts
the Center piece you speak of is dificult to remove.

Basically you have to remove the two screw when you lift up your center consol, after doing so, lift up from there grasping the part you just took the screws from. We will call this the back. The front of the Center Consol is basically latched in the front and will rotate up when you lift it off the clips. Once you have that piece off if you flip it around you will notice that it is basically plastic sodered in meaning they place it into the groves and heat up the plastic and press it in. So if you wanted to remove it you would need to heat up each tap and pry or pull at the same time. It is possible to do but finding a color that matches in a rattle can will be difficult, I would suggest taking to a good body shop and having them scan in the color and mix you up a color there. As Renaissance Man stated this isnt an econbox.....Have you thought of maybe doing Carbon Fiber or painting it black?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 AM
Glebel2000 is infamous around these parts
Thanks

Thanks guys, I note that it is real aluminium, and it may be tricky separating the trim from the console.. But, it is unsightly and detracts from the otherwise perfect interior (especially the strip that is centre of the gear **** which is heavily scratched and worn - I read that it can be levered off and removed from the ****?). Alternative to painting - is there a kit of pre-cut film that can cover these pieces available anywhere? If I went away from the silver finish to carbon fibre, I would need to cover all the other bits of trim as well (like the PCM surround piece). I have walnut trim so not sure how CF would go? The trim is not available as spare part separate from the entire console top either, which would be an expensive way of renewing...