Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Suggestions for aftermarket replacement for PCM/dvd/radio/Gps in 05 CTT w. Bose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Suggestions for aftermarket replacement for PCM/dvd/radio/Gps in 05 CTT w. Bose

My system is acting up and while I am trying to find root cause, I wonder if you can help me get info on what today seems to be a good way to go when replacing the factory setup.

My car is 05 CTT with Bose option fiber optic cable
I would like to retain use of steering wheel controls.

Would like to know:

1. Make/model of unit that will give touch GPS, radio/cd/dvd/bluetooth, connection to my android phone, etc
2. Name of kit that will make a clean face install (if needed) - to look good
3. any kit that will be needed for retain of use of steering wheel controls
4. anything else that I would need with the unit if choosing to go this way.

Not looking for latest/greatest, as I do not have 2K to play with. So cheaper is good, good balance being best. Maybe between 600-800 or cheaper if possible.

Really appreciate your help in advance.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Skylinegtrv98 is infamous around these parts
Unfortunately, this is never going to be a cheap upgrade. But here is a thread that I have found that answers alot of the questions that you area having

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-controls.html

I am def planning on doing an aftermarket head unit upgrade in the near future because I would like some of the modern features like back up camera, ipod integration, bluetooth, and other things that my 04CS with bose just doesn't have...but it is going to be atleast 2k I am thinking...

Old 05-19-2013, 11:22 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
So Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT is apparently one option.
Noticed the thread is about 2 years old. Anyone know more modern make/model for a replacement?
The other parts seem to be similar regardless of what unit you choose.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Yeah the most important information from that thread was regarding what was needed to get everything working properly. As far as finding a head unit that you like, that is all going to be a personal preference based on things like your budget and features that you are looking for. I would think that with the proper wiring harnesses and bezel, and double din should work just fine.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:29 PM
I seem to have fixed my PCM issues, but still will be looking for info on upgrading to aftermarket.
So far have the following to get ahead of any install. Feel free to complement this list to ensure it is complete:

1. Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH (best price found was $830 shipped)
2. Cayenne Double DIN Dash Kit (best price I found was $69 shipped from eBay
3. Nav-TV MOST-HUR kit - CLICK HERE FOR INFO - best price I found $599 online HERE or efor $593 HERE - CHECK SHIPPING TO GET FINAL COST
4. Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface - best price found $45 eBay
5. USB cable for my Android Phone (or for iPhone if you have it) - best price $50 for iPhone. Not sure if need a special cable or if a normal miniUSB to USB cable will be ok.

#1 will give me dvd/cd/gps/blue tooth/interface to cell - S GS2, etc
#2 will give proper finish to the install (to look OEM)
#3 will allow to keep the oem amplifier, oem speakers and wiring. Just plug in the cables from car (harness) into module and plug in cables from new head unit into module (at least that is what I assume based on reading)
#4 will allow to continue use of steering wheel controls after install
#5 will allow to connect my Galaxy S2 to the head unit and use via the display on unit, or BT connect for sons/vid, etc

Putting all this down so that I do not forget and if someone else is searching, can have info. If you think other stuff is needed here, please let us know. Thanks.

Last edited by ciaka; 10-03-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Do you already have, or are you planning to do a back-up camera?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 AM
...good idea...any suggestions on which way is decent to go? Like type and price?

Updated info:
I seem to have fixed my PCM issues, but still will be looking for info on upgrading to aftermarket.
So far have the following to get ahead of any install. Feel free to complement this list to ensure it is complete:

3. Nav-TV MOST-HUR kit - CLICK HERE FOR INFO - best price found $500
4. Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface - best price found $45 eBay
5. USB cable for my Android Phone (or for iPhone if you have it) - best price $50 for iPhone. Not sure if need a special cable or if a normal miniUSB to USB cable will be ok.
6. Back up camera ....saw something like this - $35 shipped

#3 will allow to keep the oem amplifier, oem speakers and wiring. Just plug in the cables from car (harness) into module and plug in cables from new head unit into module (at least that is what I assume based on reading)
#5 will allow to connect my Galaxy S2 to the head unit and use via the display on unit, or BT connect for sons/vid, etc
#6 will give ability to have rear facing backup camera to see stuff behind the car when reversing.

Originally Posted by spooltime
Do you already have, or are you planning to do a back-up camera?

Last edited by ciaka; 05-23-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ciaka
...good idea...any suggestions on which way is decent to go? Like type and price?
There are two hard wired options shown at NAV-TV, but I'm more intrigued by the wireless options. I've seen them on eBay, but am not really sure what would work and what else might be needed to integrate them into the system.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM
According to what I see, the wireless cam comes with two transmitters, one for the radio side and the other for the cam side.
Hook one into car audio and into power, hook the other into car rear plate light and into power and you are done. They communicate at 2.4GHz and seem to have their own comm equipment built into the transmitters (what you get when you buy). Cam hooks into video out on radio side via composite cabling.
Seems pretty simple. Only question is how decent is the result. I may have to find out if I decide with the upgrade.

Originally Posted by spooltime
There are two hard wired options shown at NAV-TV, but I'm more intrigued by the wireless options. I've seen them on eBay, but am not really sure what would work and what else might be needed to integrate them into the system.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 PM
racer_65 is infamous around these parts
You can try the plug and play product from China:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...you-think.html

Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Looked at that thread already, and had some issues (IMO) with it, namely:

- it is not plug and play
- will not support fiber optic cabling
- OEM amp is not usable after convert (radio has built in amp)
- unknown manufacturer of the head unit
- unknown interface for the head unit
- cost $100 less than a major brand (which would be a big deal if other major vendors cost $400 and this cost $300, but major brands go for $900, and this is just 100 cheaper)
- have to hook up each speaker directly (doubts about center dash speaker)
- emailed vendor, answer about maps is that it will come with a trial maps from some non USA vendor from 2012, and if you want, you have to buy their license to use
- map updates will be from same non USA vendor and have to be bought (not a big deal but you are getting unknown quantity/quality here - crucial with maps)
- warranty support is unknown (yes says 1 year, but do you ship to Asia? Just shipping both ways would take close to a month, never mind fix time). What do you do after the 1 year? Is it a paperweight at that time? Fix costs for this at that time would be huge if went outside their normal fixing channels (have to have schematics, etc for PD, then parts replacement search, etc).

Initially was eager, but after thinking, for the extra $100 I would be getting all of the above concerns addressed. To me it is well worth, especially if you put in a head unit into a Porsche.
If this head unit cost $400, I think I would be trying, but at this price point, to me the risks way outweigh the benefits.
Again, IMHO. Nothing against seller/radio, just reality.

Originally Posted by racer_65
You can try the plug and play product from China:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...you-think.html

Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM
racer_65 is infamous around these parts
Actually if the head unit costs $400, I would not recommend putting it into a Porsche, especially given the effort required.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by ciaka

Updated info:

3. Nav-TV MOST-HUR kit - CLICK HERE FOR INFO - best price found $500
6. Back up camera ....saw something like this - $35 shipped

#6 will give ability to have rear facing backup camera to see stuff behind the car when reversing.

Hi...I was just wondering if you got around to doing this upgrade yet? I have been planning on doing this for a while now, but just haven't pulled the trigger, but I anticipate doing it soon. Just a question for you, why did you go with the Pioneer head unit. The only reason I ask is that I have noticed that if you use an alpine or kenwood unit with the NavTv you would not need an additional harness to get the steering wheel controls to work. Also, I was just wondering where you were able to find the NavTv at that price. When I have been looking around, I have not found it that cheap.

Oh, and just for a comparison I am thinking about going with a Kenwood headunit. Kenwood Excelon DDX790. I don't need GPS in my car because I always use the GPS on my phone. Plus I don't really use GPS that often.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM
russnyc is infamous around these parts
I went with the Alpine INEz-928. Left the stock bose speakers/amp in. The quality of sound is significantly better to my layman's ears and the 8" screen is sweet.

I'm not in love with the Alpine UI though and they haven't released many upgrades to make it better. All the steering wheel controls work as does the factory back up camera. My thinking on if I were to do it again I would heavily consider a head unit with an app mode for my phone.

Good luck

Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 AM
imola is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by russnyc
I went with the Alpine INEz-928. Left the stock bose speakers/amp in. The quality of sound is significantly better to my layman's ears and the 8" screen is sweet.

I'm not in love with the Alpine UI though and they haven't released many upgrades to make it better. All the steering wheel controls work as does the factory back up camera. My thinking on if I were to do it again I would heavily consider a head unit with an app mode for my phone.

Good luck
Do you have any pictures of the alpine? Curious of how the 8 inch fit in the cayenne. Tks

I'm considering the kenwood since it uses garmin map source and interface as gps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for aftermarket replacement for PCM/dvd/radio/Gps in 05 CTT w. Bose