Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cardan shaft replacement in Dallas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Sjt0017 is infamous around these parts
Cardan shaft replacement in Dallas?

Hey everybody,

Moving back to Dallas from Jersey City as we speak, roughly 1600 miles towing a 12x6 cargo trailer. Total weight is about 4k lbs, and boy is the ride smooth! IMO, the air suspension and "comfort" shocks makes this truck a much better ride than the Fords, Dodges & Chevys of the towing world.

Anyway, I'm about 250 miles out from Dallas and since it started raining a few minutes ago, I've noticed an ever so slight vibration during acceleration. I'm sure I'll be fine for the rest of the way, but if this is in fact the cardan shaft, I want to take care of it before it does further damage to other parts to the drivetrain. If anybody can recommend a shop in Dallas area that can take care of this for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Further, if you are skeptical about the CTT's towing ability, I assure you it tows just as good if not better than my buddy's lifted Ram TRX4 (he claims it's the best towing truck for a 1500.

Also, if you have a tune, expect much worse mpg than usual! Since my boost starts lower in the rpm range, it's at .2-.4 bar any time you need to accelerate. I thought I'd get 12-13 hwy, but I'm getting 10 mpg, a little over 220/tank.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-427525096.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	815.4 KB
ID:	293875  
Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It's a pretty straight-forward replacement. Any dealer and most decent repair shops can handle it without issue.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:42 AM
dtxscott is infamous around these parts
Dealer will want $900 for the shaft then about $400 in labor.

I ordered mine through Vertex for $400-ish and did the job in about two hours.

Any independent shop can do this since the job is very straightforward.

If you go the dealer route, I suggest Porsche of Plano. They are great to deal with and top-notch. Call and ask for Isaac or Tim in service.

If you go the indy route, I suggest Zims in Bedford on 183. www.allzim.com. Ask for Wayne.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by denversteve
It's a pretty straight-forward replacement. Any dealer and most decent repair shops can handle it without issue.
+1 ... this is even DIY friendly.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Ok thanks guys, crazy though, other than the storm, no vibrations or any signs of the shaft weakened. I towed to Uhaul yesterday to put everything in storage & drop off the trailer, no issues whatsoever. I'm going to take a look under there this weekend and see if there's any visible issues, probably need to replace anyway so I'll be ordering one. Today I drove 75-ish on the tollway & truck felt great.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Believe it or not, that is not unusual and unless it is really bad, you probably wont be able to see any signs that the support bearing bushing is weakened.

For me (twice), the sound would start/stop for a while, then come back a little louder, then the last time it was knocking something terrible at the end.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Yea, definitely doing this either this weekend or next. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Bigbuzuki is infamous around these parts
You may want to try an aluminium or carbon fibre version.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/955AXLE.html