Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Installed Galaxy Tablet as Head Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by reedickyaluss
Ok.

Custom dashwork is removing vents, fiberglassing, painting, etc.

The dashwork I did was 40 bucks, so lets not take things out of context.
For YOU, on THIS car! That is great!! Might cost you more on the resale though Guess that depends on the buyer. But that is probably a whole different topic.

I was looking at the big picture of advantages across my other platforms. Not all of them could accept BOTH a stereo AND a tablet. Some could, so that is why I asked.

Carry on! Good work!! Love to see the creative thinking and cool mods here.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:04 AM
reedickyaluss is infamous around these parts
You don't need the cd player.

You can run the headjack to RCAs straight into an amp and utilize the on screen volume control.

I wanted a bit more, so I did it... since there was already a space available, I dont smoke, and the cost was 40 bucks, it was an easy add in to get the cd player.

Or you could hide the cd player anywhere in the car and use your steering wheel controls, which others have done also.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I like this a lot and thank you for sharing with us.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 AM
bigfoot007 is infamous around these parts
A couple of questions:

which model of cd player are you using?
Does it have multiple disc capacity?
What did you use to allow the steering wheel controls to work?
Do you use this for sat-nav?

I like this idea, up grading a tablet / kindle is a lot cheaper that a new head unit from alpine etc.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 AM
VAGMan is infamous around these parts
Install details??

For sure guys.... Im hoping next week everything will be finished and cleaned up, and Ill do a video review on how everything is wired up and how we did it.
Hey man this is awesome!! I am sooo close to taking the plunge and doing this in my RS4 and now we just got an 05 Cayenne S for my wife last week and she wants it too...(I think I'll use her car as the guinea pig! )

Did you ever get time to record the details of the install? I'm not a whiz at this stuff, but I can muddle my way through pretty well. I've been mentally stuck at how to get FM radio after the install (as I primarily listen to the regular radio and constant streaming would chew through my data) and maybe the "aux head unit" in place of the cd player you have is the way to go.

Anyway, if you have more details that would be fantastic....I'll even figure out a way to get a six-pack or two delivered to you for helping all of us!

Old 01-25-2014, 02:27 PM
LV_V is infamous around these parts
Great thread with good info. Looking forward to doing this soon when I pick up a Cayenne!

Old 03-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Harada is infamous around these parts
I want to do the exact same thing

It's this simple.

There's a little more involved my way, but not much versus the parrot.

But you gain a lot more freedom, you are always functioning within a new updated OS, you have the freedom of the google app store and you have a vibrant samsung IPS screen.

The difference in OS is what really stands out.
I could care less about SIRUS or any radio its just more channels to sure for noise that annoys me while driving. I want my nav independent from my radio on a functional touch screen that will play my 60k MP3 and tablet does all that and more. I don't mind using the factory amp love my factory speakers what would you recommend I use that would utilize the existing harness let me mount a Samsung table in place of my infotainment unit? Also do you know of any other integrated functions that infotainment unit has that may note be accounted for? For example in my 300zx when the radio was removed so was the receiver unit for factory remote doors locks and alarm system. no biggie just needed to account for that so I know what else I need to replace while doing. Please provide a parts list and address the recommendation for receiver using existing equipment minus the radio.
Thanks

Old 03-09-2016, 02:05 AM
fabulous69 is infamous around these parts
Awesome…looking forward to see more…instead of Samsung android possible with mini ipad? I'm thinking to use original amp BOSE and BOSE speaker but only the HU change to this item ( samsung/ipad ). Thank you for sharing