Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Lost cyl #2 in the CTT yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
How much HP will the tranny handle?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Sjt0017 is infamous around these parts
Mr Haney where in Texas are you located? Amazing you did that in 12 hours...

Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 AM
gbratk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by machinegunt
How much HP will the tranny handle?
I don't know for HP, but I know it can handle up to 1000nm of torque.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I am looking into the parts diagrams to see if that is possible with the 4.8 turbos. There is not much data out there to determine if the manifold is the same, compressor/turbine-inlets/outlets geometry differences. Ideally, that would be the way to go.
I can cross-reference part numbers for you, if that helps. However, all it will tell me is if two parts are the same, not what changes were made. So that should be easier for the manifold parts and lines. However, since only the whole turbocharger has one single part number, so it will be will be a different part number than the TD04 on the 957, I will have no way of telling what parts are different inside that turbocharger - like impeller, turbine wheel, etc. Given they are from different manufacturers, I think it is safe to assume that all internals will be different, but complimentary to your engine.

Surprisingly there are many differences between the 4.5 & 4.8. The heads are different and the crankcase is 20mm shorter. I also noticed that for the 4.8 Porsche went to a bi-mettalic valve instead of the standard sodium filled in the 4.5. A while back I posted up a pdf titled "after sales training" that has a ton of info.
Believe it or not, I already had that after sales training PDF and loads others available. If you want, I can share a few more with you - just send me a PM. My assumption when I went with the 4.8 was that is was just a bored/stroked 4.5 from the manufacturer. The documentation I have says that it only LOOKS similar and was actually completely redesigned from scratch. Probably makes since given the different turbochargers, direct fuel injection, and coolant flow improvements.

One particular tuner that offers a turbo upgrade states right on the description that they are gt700 cartridges simply installed into the ihi housing. After speaking with them directly Im pretty sure it is just a garrett gt2860rs cartridge machined in. Which would make sense. We know from the scroll products turbo upgrade ( rhf55 cartride in the rhf5 housing) that a 60mm compressor wheel WILL fit. The gt28 supports around 350 hp each so that would make sense. Problem is both my turbine housings are cracked and ihi does not sell just the turbine housing per my investigating. Plus the IHI turbos have a low nickel content on the housings and just generally arent that great.
There is another member here who has the EVOM 957TT and he states the changes made in that kit, "Mayhem996TT". I am 95% sure that they are machined Garrett gt2860rs turbochargers as you mentioned. I could not find that thread right now, but can personally ask him if you want.

This is his 957TT on the dyno:

Another option I thought of was just having a set of tubular manifolds made with a flange for the t-series. But then I would have to adapt the intake piping and make new downpipes. The ihi turbos have the compressor outlet turned 90deg. to the front where as most aftermarket turbos simply come off the side. I'm not sure that there is enough room to make that connection work.
Sounds like a lot of work- I would probably look at other alternatives. Do you have a welder?

Right now im at a tossup of finding some ihi cores or turbine housings vs. garrett turbos and all the connections. The price point is going to be very close with the latter making a lot more fab work for myself. A lot will depend on the condition of my short block when I tear it down.
So the TD04's are not a third option? Why not look into this more?

While alusil blocks can be bored and honed witha special procedure, finding a machinist that will do it, much less do it right is another story...
What about just getting a used engine and doing a simple swap for less miles? You have around 180K on the odo, right? Why not look for a low mileage engine and just drop it in for a reasonable price?

Also why are you trying to replace the heads AND the block? Why not just the heads and if needed, pistons too?

I would guess that working slowly over a couple days( it was the holidays!) it took me 12 hours to get the engine out. Im sorry, I did not take any pics at the time but everything is apart now so no prob. Any kind of writeup just was not in the cards on this one.
That is fairly quick! Encouraging news indeed! Understandable on the focusing on the work, not pictures.

What I did was take the entire front end of the car off. The bumper, bumper support, radiator support, radiator/coolers/fans. I intended to just take the engine out, but its really a simple design and meant for the whole assembly to come out together. It was really easy for the most part. There really are a minimum of connections to drop the engine, subframe, tranny, transfer case, front air shocks and suspension all as one unit so that is what I did. ...
Interesting.. judging by those pictures. It does not look that bad to gain access from the front. Makes sense to get the hoist to it from the front, then drop the subframe. So you are saying that you did or did not have to pull the tranny with the engine? Just not sure if you could get access to the transmission bellhousing bolts with the firewall in the way..

I,ve seen your work Renn man and I don't think you would have a problem.
Thanks! I think I have enough tools and space to take on the challenge

Old 01-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sjt0017
+1... impressive indeed.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Member "gr8ful" on here had a pair of stock turbos for sale in need of a rebuild. You could possibly pick those up for use with the GT2860RS cartridges assuming the housings are fine (and they're still available).

Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gbratk
I don't know for HP, but I know it can handle up to 1000nm of torque.
I dont remember the name of the trans. shop I talked to when I was inquiring about a new valve body, but the opinion there was that you would need a t/c stall speed change first if you were making that much power. That the transmission itself is extremely strong, and that different friction material could be provided if so desired.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sjt0017

Thanks! I see your in New Jersey-

As a testament not to my skills but to the ease of dropping that whole assembly, the things I spent the most time on was removing the front wheel liners, and the windshield washer arms. They were pressed on very tight and using a small two jaw puller to take the place of the Porsche special tool was tough. there is like zero gap between the cowl and the arm.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Member "gr8ful" on here had a pair of stock turbos for sale in need of a rebuild. You could possibly pick those up for use with the GT2860RS cartridges assuming the housings are fine (and they're still available).

This I need to do, thank you

There is also a guy right around the corner from me that has a pair of Garrett GTX2860r for sale quite cheap. The 04-06 Cayenne has a real steel exh. manifold vs cast iron!!!! It is a top and bottom piece of hydroformed steel welded together. This means I can weld to it to change the flange!!!

Looks like the 4.8 uses a cast iron manifold and the turbo compressor outlets look a lot longer. Still checking into this.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 AM
TDo4's from the 4.8 seem like just as much work for a stock turbo. I can buy a Gt2680 turbo new for around 1100.

I haven't been able to find a used engine for less than 5k and who knows what I'm getting. Been that route. Warranty doesn't mean crap in that scenario.
My plan with the heads right now is just to replace all the exh. valves and all the springs, guides if needed, and seals.

I still need to find all the clearance specs and service limits for the engine.

I have a 10k page pdf porsche service manual that is still quite good and in depth that I found for twelve dollars online. It covers 03-06. I'd like to offer it to anybody that wants it for free. Only thing is that it is 172mb in a compressed zip file so I'm not sure if I can attach and send or if there is a way I can host it somewhere for free?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Well I have the engine off to the machine shop to get the block sleeved. Going with CP pistons, and using the stock crank and rods.

Final verdict is burnt/chipped exhaust valve. Had some piston scuffing on the suspect cylinder, probably due to washout.

Some things I noticed on the CTT 4.5 that may be worth noting.

@ 175k miles or so the bottom end looks great. Very little wear on the crank, rods, and thrust bearings.

One bank of cylinders is offset on the 4.5. Due to that, one bank's cylinders wear more. On my engine the difference was substancial.

My CTT was burning approx. 1 qt every 1100 miles, far from the acceptable limit of 1 per. 600. When I took the heads off, carbon literally flaked off and fell down in the cylinders in piles. When I pulled the pistons the ring lands were full of carbon and the oil control rings were packed with carbon.

Both my primary cats have some plugging and ash deposits, both my turbine housings were cracked radiating from the wastegate to the turbine port.

So right now I am putting together a new engine and will start a new thread with lots of pics and my setup as it go's together.

Thread closed.