Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Finally, Philips Day Light Guide DRL Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:50 AM
VaCayenneTurbo is infamous around these parts
Finally, Philips Day Light Guide DRL Installed!!! UPDATED!!

Well, I finally broke down after MUCH research on LED lights to install on my vehicle. I finally decided on the Philips LED DRL Day Light Guide set 12825WLEDX1. They were just the right height to fit in the space above the turn signal assembly. The control module that came with the lights did work – but what I didn’t like is at night when the main headlights come on – they dimmed and didn’t cut off. That has opted me to purchase a custom made DRL module from a seller on eBay. The module that I have purchased allows the DRL to cut off when the park/headlights come on and the DRL will come on for 15 seconds when you shut the vehicle off at night (welcome home feature so you have some light at night time). I hope there was a typo on the product description of the Philips DRL, because they said they only have a lifespan of 5000 hours (or the life of the vehicle). I’m hoping that the typo was supposed to be 50,000 because a vehicle is going to last a lot longer than 5,000 hours. They were $220 off Amazon. Installation was a little bit of a pain, but installation of the brackets was the worse. I liked look of the “continuous ribbon” light of the DRL – just like the one on my front parking lights (just smaller). Lights are extremely bright and I couldn’t be happier – just hope they last!!! The only minor project that I want to tackle next, is to get the moisture out of my turn signal assembly. I have already replace the driver side because of the moisture, but now the passenger side is getting it. Oh well, always something….

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche 957 DRL Installed.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	331331  

Last edited by VaCayenneTurbo; 02-16-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 AM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
You should write up a DIY! That would be fantastic! I want to do the same! God Job man! :-)

Old 02-15-2014, 12:29 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Any dimensions on those? Wonder if they'd fit well in a 955/S grille..

Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Update DIY and Pictures

As requested, I am posting a DIY listing. Hope this helps other. PLEASE check in any areas on the vehicle that are not visible BEFORE you start drilling or making holes. There are wire/hoses behind the bumper that you may not be able to see. I’m not an expert installer, so you are at your own risk for installation. Here we go.
Remove both headlight assemblies completely and set aside so you can gain access down to the turn signal assembly.
I first started by installing the brackets to the underside lip of the bumper just above the turn signal assembly. Keep the brackets tight to the rear and top. I used a torch to heat up a small rivet to melt a starter hole through the bumper for each bracket. You will have two holes per bracket. Once you melt the holes – the fun begins. As you can see from photo, there is not hardly ANY room to work and this is the hardest part. I took a small Philips head screw driver and heated/bent the tip to create a 90° angle. You then carefully start screwing the screws into the holes that you have melted. Once started by hand, use the screw driver to finish seating the screws. This is a pain due that you can only get small turns and not much up pressure on the screw. Just take your time.
Next drill a hole in the plastic plate behind the bracket to push the wire of the DRL through. I think it was about a 3/8” or so. Just use your judgment on what size to use. You will have to cut off the plastic connector of the DRL light wire so you can get it through the hole (don’t worry, a simple two wire connection).
Once you get the wire pushed through, (I elected to have both sets of wires collect on the driver side where the battery jump post are located for power) and where I will install the DRL module (behind the headlight assembly – lots of space), gather the wire and secure somewhere with a zip tie. I feed the passenger side wiring across the top where the hood latch is located (making sure it would not interfere with the latch itself.
I then allowed a little slack in wire where each light was installed on the bracket behind the bumper and installed quick connect terminals (in case I ever need to have the bumper removed, they could disconnect the wires due that the DRL would be attached to the bumper
Connect the wiring as show in the directions that come with the kit. I connected the blue wire to the fuse panel located near the windshield. I drilled a small hole in the fuse box just enough to allow the wire to slide through and connected the wire to a fuse that was only “hot” when the ignition was on. All the wire splices were covered in heat shrink tape. Now the one thing I didn’t like about this DRL system is that the DRL lights DIM at night if you wire per the directions. I simply didn’t want the DRL on at all at night time. I contacted Philips in both the US and Germany and they said there is no way to turn the dimming feature off. I beg to differ. So, this is what I plan on doing and I will update as soon as I get completed: The wire tapped into the side marker light 12V+ wire (driver side) and ran to where the control module (orange wire). I purchased a 12V 4 pin relay NC (normally closed is a lot more difficult to find than a NO, so look around – got mine off eBay from Hong Kong and I’m waiting for it to come in). I plan to cut the power wire between the batter terminal and the module and connected these two wires on the relay. When the side maker lights come on, the DRL will shut off. Again, I will update when I complete this and let you guys know how it works out.
Hope this helps those wanting to install this type of system.

Name:	Bracket Installation.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	334574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tighten Bracket.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	334575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DRL Splice and Running Path.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	334576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DRL Wiring by turnsignal.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	334577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sidemarker Light Splice.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	334578  

Old 02-16-2014, 01:05 PM
More Pictures

More Pictures

Name:	Sidemarker Light Wire.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	334582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Positive Wire Connection.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	334584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Negative battery terminal.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	334585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips LED Dimensions.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	334586  
Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Looks interesting! Just as a side note, do you know for the negative ground bar there is a hidden 10mm grounding nut holding it to the fender support? If you use that, then you can lose the alligator clip. If you take out the passenger headlight and shine a flashlight inside the fender, it will be obvious. No need to solder.

Actually, if you pull up my methanol thread, you will see a closeup of this mounting point.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM
I believe that I found the forum thread you were talking about - INSTALL: Cayenne TTS + Methanol Injection. I didn't recognize the grounding area you were talking about. Is the engine the same layout as mine 08 Cayenne Turbo? I will still look for this grounding point. It would make things a lot cleaner looking. Thanks for the advise.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VaCayenneTurbo
I believe that I found the forum thread you were talking about - INSTALL: Cayenne TTS + Methanol Injection. I didn't recognize the grounding area you were talking about. Is the engine the same layout as mine 08 Cayenne Turbo? I will still look for this grounding point. It would make things a lot cleaner looking. Thanks for the advise.
Yes, sorry I would have attached the images, but was responding on a mobile device at the time. I have attached the image referencing the mounting location for the negative ground bar in the driver side fender. It is a 10mm nut. I believe these locations are the same across the 955 and 957 lineup. This is also on a 08 Cayenne Turbo.

Also, if you want a cleaner mounting point for the positive terminal, you can open that positive terminal housing and place a terminal on top of the existing factory wiring connector. See image below for clarification.

Name:	Wiring (6).JPG
Views:	452
Size:	580.9 KB
ID:	337442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring (8).JPG
Views:	529
Size:	570.6 KB
ID:	337443  
Old 03-04-2014, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Yes, sorry I would have attached the images, but was responding on a mobile device at the time. I have attached the image referencing the mounting location for the negative ground bar in the driver side fender. It is a 10mm nut. I believe these locations are the same across the 955 and 957 lineup. This is also on a 08 Cayenne Turbo.

Also, if you want a cleaner mounting point for the positive terminal, you can open that positive terminal housing and place a terminal on top of the existing factory wiring connector. See image below for clarification.

Found it.. Thanks. Really cleaned up the application. Anyway, update on the relay. Installed a standard 5 terminal relay (used the normally closed contact" and all works great. Hope this helps others with this application for this type of DRL...