Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Do I need keep my cayenne or trade it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
cwjqzycwj is infamous around these parts
I brought my Cayenne from my friend last summer since he moved to another country. It is a 2008 cayenne V6 model. When I brought it, it had 67000miles on it and everything works fine.

But two months later, I found when the speed was over 65mph, I could feel some vibration on the steering wheel. I went to dealer, they told me all the tries and front brake(pads ripped off) need to be replaced. So I spent 2200 to solve this problem.

Then another two months later, I went to dealer do the regular oil change, it cost 250. They check everything and told me the car was in good condition.

Three months later, my yellow check engine light was on, but I didn't feel any abnormal when I drove it. I took it to dealer, dealer told me everything is fine besides fuel pressure sensor, then charge me 400 to replace it.Overall, they said the car is in good condition. no accidents

Then two days ago (three months from last service), I dropped my car to the dealer for a car wash and tire pressure check. When I picked my car, dealer told me the horn is not working and the center gearing is getting worn, suggest to replace the whole drive shaft,quote me 1700+ for drive shaft and 250 for horns. I refused it because I didn't feel any abnormal when I drive it. I asked dealer how soon I need change my drive shaft, they told me depends on how I drive, could be next week,.could be next summer. When I back home, I tested my horn. I found it sometimes work(when it hot outside), sometimes not work(at night or cold outside).

Right now, the car has 73500miles on it. I don't know if I need to swith to another car or keep it since it could have more problems in the future. I also dont know if I need to repair the center gearing and horn because it drives great. I like it, but I want to know what's wrong with it, are those common issues on cayenne?

Last edited by cwjqzycwj; 03-11-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 PM
bearfilm is infamous around these parts
Only you can answer that question - you have a substantial amount placed into the vehicle already... do you have any fun with her? if you only can think about about the money then maybe it is time to move on...

Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Skigod9 is infamous around these parts
Sell it you bought the wrong cayenne ......get a CTT and you will never post a question like that again.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Zuffenhausen955 is infamous around these partsZuffenhausen955 is infamous around these parts
These are all maintenance and wear-related issues. Apparently, your "friend" who sold it to you knew well about the upcoming required work, and offed it on you. Basically, he passed his future "problems" onto you and promptly split the country. Either continue to bring it back to snuff or pass it to the next person....entirely up to YOU.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 AM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
The drive shaft or cardan shaft has a center bearing support which is a known weakness on all Cayennes. The rubber on it that supports the center bearing usually falls apart at roughly 80k miles & leaves the bearing unsupported & causes it to fail. You can inspect the support yourself & see if it is already partially cracked, if it is, then I would suggest the shaft replacement as the bearing will go out soon afterwards. If the bearing support is not yet failing, there are replacment supports for about $450 that can be purchased & installed without having to remove the current driveshaft & will last the life of the truck. It all depends on your level of DIY ability & the condition of your bearing support currently. You can do a search in this forum on "Cardan Shaft" to find out more on this topic - there will be a lot of information.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 AM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
Here is a link to a good thread about the repair I mentioned above.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ics-video.html

Old 03-12-2014, 05:26 PM
cwjqzycwj is infamous around these parts
Smile

Originally Posted by mrbrianc
The drive shaft or cardan shaft has a center bearing support which is a known weakness on all Cayennes. The rubber on it that supports the center bearing usually falls apart at roughly 80k miles & leaves the bearing unsupported & causes it to fail. You can inspect the support yourself & see if it is already partially cracked, if it is, then I would suggest the shaft replacement as the bearing will go out soon afterwards. If the bearing support is not yet failing, there are replacment supports for about $450 that can be purchased & installed without having to remove the current driveshaft & will last the life of the truck. It all depends on your level of DIY ability & the condition of your bearing support currently. You can do a search in this forum on "Cardan Shaft" to find out more on this topic - there will be a lot of information.
Thank you for your suggestions. I still have little misunderstanding on the drive shaft. How do I know I need to replace the whole drive shaft or just center bearing support? How can I test it? I am not a good DIY person, so I am thinking I may drive it to the local body shop and ask them to do the replacement for me. I appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Skigod9
Sell it you bought the wrong cayenne ......get a CTT and you will never post a question like that again.

ROFL!!! And quit going to the dealer!

Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Wink

Originally Posted by cwjqzycwj
I brought my Cayenne...tires and front brake pads.....do the regular oil change.... fuel pressure sensor, horn, drive shaft

Sooooo.......all I'm really seeing here is regular maintenance and upkeep of ANY car!

Honestly, the only exception really is the horn and maybe the pressure sensor thing since they should last longer Driveshafts need service on nearly every car over time. Tires, front brake pads and an oil change at 70k miles and you are complaining about it?

What would you replace it with? Better be an electric hovercraft if you don't want to change oil, tires, brake pads, driveshaft, or fuel sensor! Anyone know if electric hovercraft a have horns?

Last edited by Cole; 03-13-2014 at 10:59 AM.