Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

My test drive - CTT and 4.8iS (long - read on)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
My test drive - CTT and 4.8iS (long - read on)

Well, I decided to take the two for a test drive today, as close to back to back as possible (20 minutes apart). I drove the X5 4.4i last night and was pretty impressed with the vehicle, for an SUV, but knew the 4.8 had to be something else, so...

First the 4.8iS - drove a new one, not broken in, so I'll give some leeway with that. First of all, it is indistinguishable from the 4.4i other than a slightly different set of bumpers and dual exhaust, and lower. Inside and outside, you paid the same for not much other than a .4 increase in the side-mounted badges. The seats are no longer alcantara, which is too bad, as that grips so much better. Anyway, the sound from the exhaust is the first thing I noticed - it is fantastic. Burble like crazy, and really sounds like a great V8.

It feels very solid, but not heavy - active steering helps that tremendously. The thick steering wheel is phenomenal, and boo to Porsche for such thin wheels (like my 987S). Acceleration is really nice, but I didn't notice much difference between it and the 4.4i - it's there, just not night and day. Handling was quite exceptional - tight, very little body roll - VERY little. The sport suspension is better than the sport on 4.4i, but rides similarly over bumps. Essentially a better controlled, more sporty and secure suspension with the same road feel - sans bone-shattering feedback.

The brakes on this thing RULE! Amazing.

I went back in a 4.4i and took it around to be sure I noticed the differences - biggest being exhaust note and brakes, with nods to handling and acceleration.

Then to the Cayenne Turbo - a CPO 2004 model. First thing I wondered about is the slippery (possibly overtreated with chemicals) leather of the black interior - seemed cheesy to me. Do other leathers age better than the black? Anyway, first off the ride seems lower, and the vision not as open as the X5, which has tall windows with deep bottoms.

Acceleration is night and day - the 4.8iS is not EVEN CLOSE! Nowhere near the same range as this monster - it was truly amazing.

The ride was definitely 'heavier' - felt more solid and heavy than the X5, yet it still handled well - you just felt the extra weight, which is too bad. Brakes are great, but not as good as the 4.8iS, as they are the same that stop my 987S, at half the weight. Doing a 'braking test' I discovered that ABS is quick to turn on, when you have to stop that many tons.

PASM gives it a much better ride than the 4.8iS in my opinion - even in sport mode. Comfort is quite nice overall.

I could see getting 8mpg average in this thing, hammering on the gas all the time.

(Please note I am NOT talking buying new, but CPO in both cases)

Break it down...

4.8iS - advantages: free service for 4 years, lighter weight, better mpg, better sounding exhaust, toys (bluetooth and ipod compatibility), more secure feeling handling, brakes, price (57k for a CPO 2005 model).

CTT - advantages: TURBO acceleration, nicer interior (except for that nasty shiny leather on the seats), some off-road capability, comfort.

While my reaction is that I like the Cayenne better because of that unreal acceleration, it does seem that being the pricier option (if I get 2004 CPO I have to pay still 65k or so and get CD-ROM navigation, etc.) it does not have as many advantages as the 4.8iS when I spell it out like that. My initial thought afterwards was leaning toward the CTT because the acceleration really is memorable, but when I write it out, it seems the 4.8iS might have more to offer, even though it does not have the blinding acceleration and smooth ride.

Essentially, after all that, I'm STILL not sure!

Old 11-30-2005, 03:54 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm
cayenne turbo is one of the best when it comes to braking.
maybe the brakes are worn on the CPO

bmw x5 4.6is 60-0mph braking 121ft

cayenne turbo 60-0mph braking 112ft

911 turbo X50 60-0mph braking 110ft

boxster S 60-0mph braking 107ft

Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Alex,

It's not that it stopped any different than the 4.8iS, it's more that the brakes really gripped HARD on the 4.8iS and fast, plus there is less weight to stop, I'm sure...

Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
The Cayenne is a much better vehicle IMHO. I drove both and went with a CTT. Also, something to consider is the ability to mod the cayenne to around 550hp for under $10K. Wont see that on the X5.

Old 11-30-2005, 03:59 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by teutonictrio
Alex,

It's not that it stopped any different than the 4.8iS, it's more that the brakes really gripped HARD on the 4.8iS and fast, plus there is less weight to stop, I'm sure...
btw thanks for the unbiased review, hard to come by in this forum but I'm a porsche guy as well so I understand, I drove the X5 also but at the time I was only looking on the V6 model, I drove the 4.4i the Cayenne S is better than that. But didnt get a chance to drive the 4.8is, i'm sure it's pretty nice.
I agree with the exhaust note, noticed that when I test drove.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:04 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
CTT > X5 4.8 cmon! but the 4.8 has less problems wops

Old 11-30-2005, 04:17 PM
TestnDoc is infamous around these parts
4.8is all the way!!! Love mine!!

Old 11-30-2005, 04:39 PM
AeroTT is infamous around these parts
I absolutely love the 4.8is. The first thing i noticed when i borrowed my sisters car was that the exhaust is SICK sounding. Handling is amazing and so is acceleration, albeit not TURBO fast. But overall, i think the 4.8 is a very solid and complete package!

Old 11-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Banned for Eternity
TestnDoc,

Did your 4.8iS break in over time and improve in acceleration, that you notice? The suspension is a BIT too sporty for a comfort ride, but acceptable - does that change at all?

Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
nice review. agree on the weight issue of the CTT. it's fast for what it is if it's lighter that'd be super great. can't wait for the 4 door coupe with this engine in it... the tranny has to go too.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:39 PM
mudman2 is infamous around these parts
I think the S would beat it never mind the TT.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by teutonictrio
TestnDoc,

Did your 4.8iS break in over time and improve in acceleration, that you notice? The suspension is a BIT too sporty for a comfort ride, but acceptable - does that change at all?
I have about 7000 miles on my 4.8is, and have never had any issues with acceleration. The 4.8 is fast, probably faster now than when brand new, although I have no data to back that up. The ride quality on the 4.8is is a bit more harsh than the turbo, but the 4.8 has a slightly better skidpad (0.83g vs 0.82g), and IMO better road feel. The 4.8, which comes standard with air springs, actually has a better ride than the 4.4 with sport package. I chose the 4.8 over the turbo because the 4.8 offers better handling, much better exhaust note, bluetooth, better nav, and better exterior styling, IMO. The turbo is faster, better interior, better stereo, etc. You cant go wrong either way, but Im very happy with my choice. Good luck!!

Last edited by TestnDoc; 12-01-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by mudman2
I think the S would beat it never mind the TT.
CayenneS beating a 4.8is?? Not in your wildest dreams. Put down the crack pipe...

Last edited by TestnDoc; 12-01-2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:34 AM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
Are you on crack Mike lol!

CTT is in a different level than both CS and 4.8

4.8 costs about the same as Cayenne S and you get the top level of the series. Love 4.8 though, its a very nice car, once you see those wide *** rubber you can't turn back lol

Old 12-01-2005, 12:38 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Good writeup.

Always liked the 4.8.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My test drive - CTT and 4.8iS (long - read on)