Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY Air Intake Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Tuscani66 is infamous around these parts
DIY Air Intake Install

I have been wanting to do this for some time now, after seeing SeattleTurbo do it recently - well enough to make me do it.

I bought my parts from Summit Racing and stayed with the OEM 3" setup.

Summit Racing:
K&N 62-1600RD - K&N Reusable Synthetic Crankcase Vent Filters
$8.69

K&N RU-3570 - K&N Universal Performance Air Filters
$43.99

Mishimoto MMCP-3090BK - Mishimoto Silicone Hose Couplers
MIO-MMCP-3090BK $18.75

T-Bolt Hose Clamps 3-5"
$3.00

Vibrant Performance VPE-2176 - Vibrant Performance Aluminum Tubing
VPE-2176 $27.55

The Vibrant tube I had to trim for the driver side, took 2 inches off - I anticipated my pipes might be pushing it but I knew I could always cut off rather than be too short - I knew ahead of time with the panels back on, I did not want to be exposed.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:22 AM
KarlC is infamous around these parts
How does it feel driving it now ?

How does it sound inside and outside of the car ?

Anything you would do different ?

Thx

Old 12-06-2015, 10:04 PM
I havent driven it since last night, only drove it up the block yesterday.

Inside noise is nice, you can really hear the spool and the diverter valve let out, then you can hear the air ride release its pressure, sounds like a delayed blow off haha.

Outside I'm not sure, I'd imagine louder than inside but unsure, I'll do a drive by tomorrow with my son recording or something.

Different - nah, I like it. I didn't do volume math, like how Seattle Turbo went from 4" cone filter to 4>3 tunnel into 3" MAF, I don't know if he will show better gains or not, but I won't change, I'm 3" filter to MAF. Maybe the only thing I'd do is wish I've done it a lot sooner.

I was busy today, will get to the heat shield hopefully tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:08 PM
My next step is to build/assemble something for the throttle intake.

That I know I'll have to take off to get measurements unfortunately.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Awesome!!! Very happy to see someone else tackle this

Old 12-10-2015, 08:41 AM
DLF
DLF is infamous around these parts
Do you plan to build some kind of heat shield / isolator so that you are not drawing hot air from the engine compartment ? I've noticed some of the aftermarket intakes have aluminum or plastic pieces that act as isolators.
like these.

The cone filters may allow greater flow and noise, but the hot air is going to cause a power loss. Maybe somebody could measure up the dimensions on the baffles so you can add it to your design . They seem to be pretty easy the build.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
For what its worth, I measured temperatures at the air filters with and without a mocked up heat shield I made when I built my intake system. They don't make a noticeable difference in my measurements, it falls within the margin of error IMO;

I think better gains would be found in routing more outside air to the filter area from outside of the car. A heat shield may make a greater difference at that point to trap the extra airflow from escaping into the engine bay itself. Who knows if this would even matter though...

It may not matter because efficient intercooling will make much greater differences than routing cold air or using heatshields. All of the air gets superheated in the compressor side of the turbo after it passes the filters, no matter where or how its getting there. I doubt any type of cold air intakes make a difference in pre-intercooler air temperature differences.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:24 AM
I concur with SeattleTurbo. As we all know colder densor air is a plus, I put a piece of aluminum shield straight from the plastic panel down and mocked up - the shield I'm making doesn't actually trap the filter cone itself as more its an extension from the dress-up plastic down to the frame to split the empty air and engine almost completely.

It increased sound, expected, but saw no change in idle temps. Driving temps were almost no change. I didn't do extensive testing, just probe temp wire bought from Home Depot a long time ago.

I will probably finish the heat shield anyways as I will ultimately make it out of carbon fiber, or layer the cf on top of the aluminum, no real difference in weight or overall noticeable thickness.

Porsche, like most automakers down to even entry levels models (Hyundai/Ford/etc), put a lot of money and R&D into what they make and design; intakes are pretty basic so there's no real added bonus to making this kit compared to what is OEM - if you pull out the OEM box, you'll see a channel port that is fed from fender port, pulling in fresh air from outside, in theory better design and can't be topped but adding our own DIY cold air kit most likely hindered nothing at all but pleases our ears.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Lintrix is infamous around these parts
Awesome write up, and I followed exactly what you did to install my setup, but I did have one question...

How did you connect the crank case filter? They are the same size and needed some kind of small tube to connect them both together.

I had to cut out the little **** from the stock intake box to make it work.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:40 PM
I didn't do the Crank Case filter, the small filter you see me is the relief for the air suspension (unless they're one in the same in a weird configuration).

But the line was a direct fit for me, if you need, I can try to get more pictures later; what I like about that breather filter is when I lower the car, you can really hear the instant "PSSSH" and its pretty audible then air lets out slowly as car goes down.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tuscani66
I didn't do the Crank Case filter, the small filter you see me is the relief for the air suspension (unless they're one in the same in a weird configuration).

But the line was a direct fit for me, if you need, I can try to get more pictures later; what I like about that breather filter is when I lower the car, you can really hear the instant "PSSSH" and its pretty audible then air lets out slowly as car goes down.
I'm not sure what the filter is for but the part name in your write-up was:

Summit Racing:
K&N 62-1600RD - K&N Reusable Synthetic Crankcase Vent Filters
$8.69

I installed it in the same location as you (the one where there is a green protective sleeve). I couldn't install it because it was not a direct fit.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Yeah, that is it, just a naming convention.

I'll get you a better picture tomorrow, I vaguely remember that I cut piping to fit inside the breather (then clamped) and other in in the green slip lock connector.

Hope this helps, otherwise I'll get it for you tomorrow.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Yeah, that is it, just a naming convention.

I'll get you a better picture tomorrow, I vaguely remember that I cut piping to fit inside the breather (then clamped) and other in in the green slip lock connector.

Hope this helps, otherwise I'll get it for you tomorrow.
Thanks, i really appreciate the write up and the follow up! I have it installed now (i had to cut the small connector from the stock intake box to make it fit). The turbo sound is amazing!

Old 09-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Awesome Lintrix, great job and enjoy! Pictures or same as mine/others?

Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Awesome Lintrix, great job and enjoy! Pictures or same as mine/others?
Thanks =) I used the exact same parts are you suggested. It worked great - except for that small filter connection.

Thank you for the write-up! Without it I wouldn't be able to do it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Air Intake Install