Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Late to the game but need advice for buying a 2005 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:26 PM
rivalbro is infamous around these parts
Late to the game but need advice for buying a 2005 S

Hello,

I have read buyer's guides and all, but still need some questions answered to clear my head please.

I live in the middle east in a country called Oman, neighbor to UAE/Dubai. I found a 2005 Cayenne S and had a look today. The online listing stated it had done 180000 kms. The asking price in the listing is $9250.

Saw the Cayenne, looks very clean, almost like out of the dealership right now condition. Interior is impeccable. Drives nice and straight and couldn't feel the gearbox doing any bad things with shifting. It was a smooth drive and I took it up to to 120 km/hr speed. All lights and electronics work. Head lights were replaced with the newer versions from the dealership and are xenon. It has the air suspension and sunroof. Has a phone which the seller said I can insert a simcard to and will work normally as a GSM phone.

Now for the thinks I have doubts about.

-No navigation DVD
-Tailgate shocks (or springs as the seller called it) need replacing as the tailgate doesn't stay up.
-Has done 280000 KMS!! Scary for me, but I am confused as the car is just so clean.
-Front tires need to change as per the seller, they are 275/50/20

That's about it I guess. A little about the seller. He is an old man, bought it from the first owner in Dubai in 2009 and imported it to the country. Has gotten a lot of parts replaced recently. The head lights cost him a $1000 each from the Porsche dealership. Got the brake pads changed last week. He is selling it to pay for down payment for his daughter's new car and has a Toyota 4x4 he drives daily. He is paying for insurance for 2016 year.

Now tell me guys, is this a good deal?
Can these cars do over 300,000 Kms and survive?

I have never owned a German car, this will be a first. The Porsche dealership kills when it comes to prices. They would probably ask for a hefty charge to inspect the vehicles but I believe it's a good idea to get that done.

Because of the mileage, He lowered the price to $8750.

I can't stress enough how clean the car is. No rips or scratches in the leather at all.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 AM
DLF
DLF is infamous around these parts
If the car has a proper full service history and the correct (OEM recommended) fluids were used in the engine and gearbox, I don't believe the high km's are a problem.
the issues you mentioned are minor. I'm not sure about the Xenon replacement though, do the headlamps now have self leveling ?

120 km/h is way too slow to tell you anything useful, you need to take her up to at least 160-180, and do some full throttle accelerations and hard braking to really feel if all is OK mechanically

My 04 CS has 276000 km, and still drives like new.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 AM
rivalbro is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DLF
If the car has a proper full service history and the correct (OEM recommended) fluids were used in the engine and gearbox, I don't believe the high km's are a problem.
the issues you mentioned are minor. I'm not sure about the Xenon replacement though, do the headlamps now have self leveling ?

120 km/h is way too slow to tell you anything useful, you need to take her up to at least 160-180, and do some full throttle accelerations and hard braking to really feel if all is OK mechanically

My 04 CS has 276000 km, and still drives like new.
Hi, thank you for the reply.

I asked the guy to get a Porsche service center inspection done on the car which I would pay for. He declined. Then I asked for the Chassis/VIN number so I can check it at the Porsche service center, he declined that as well and tried to rush me into buying it. I walked away. If he can't confidently get that done then there must be something wrong somewhere.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:45 AM
gh0stman is infamous around these parts
That's not a bad price and as said earlier those issues are only minor. But as I read your last post you did the right thing in walking away. If the seller is not going to work with you regardless of condition I wouldn't waste my time either.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rivalbro
Hi, thank you for the reply.

I asked the guy to get a Porsche service center inspection done on the car which I would pay for. He declined. Then I asked for the Chassis/VIN number so I can check it at the Porsche service center, he declined that as well and tried to rush me into buying it. I walked away. If he can't confidently get that done then there must be something wrong somewhere.

Probably a smart choice. If it's in as decent shape as you say he shouldn't have much to worry about letting you get it checked out. More fish in the sea!! Good luck on your search.