Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Headlight Bolt stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Johnnny B is infamous around these parts
Headlight Bolt stuck

Hello, Im back again. LOL? So my turn signal went out the other day (May have been out for a bit. not sure as I don't really use my turn signals all that often) I went to use the tool that removes the headlight and noticed that it doesn't fit 100%. I cant get the bolt to move. It looks like its striped or something or maybe they didn't put the right bolt back in. Idk. How can I get this "striped"/ broken bolt out? Its nice to have turn signals.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Anyone?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:04 PM
alpesh26 is infamous around these parts
My 957 has the same problem, the tool doesn't fit the bolt properly so it just spins. If you look just to the side of the bolt, you will see the pin that the bolt should move when you turn it, i just used a long flat head screwdriver and flicked the pin forward to release it. Flick the pin back with the screwdriver to secure the headlamp housing again.
I need to get the proper tool (or file mine down a little bit), but it's not often I need to go in there so it can wait

Old 03-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by alpesh26
My 957 has the same problem, the tool doesn't fit the bolt properly so it just spins. If you look just to the side of the bolt, you will see the pin that the bolt should move when you turn it, i just used a long flat head screwdriver and flicked the pin forward to release it. Flick the pin back with the screwdriver to secure the headlamp housing again.
I need to get the proper tool (or file mine down a little bit), but it's not often I need to go in there so it can wait
I'll look when I get home, I don't remember seeing a pin of an sort though. And it'll still be secure when I just push this pin back in?

Old 03-29-2016, 08:27 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
never telegraph your move. : )

Old 03-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Johnnny B
I'll look when I get home, I don't remember seeing a pin of an sort though. And it'll still be secure when I just push this pin back in?
It will click when it goes back in and you shouldn't be able to move the pin easily forward (it will need a little bit of force to move it).

This is all assuming the 955 has the same system as the 957. See below a picture of the pin (I stole this picture from google), the plastic U shaped thing is connected to the bolt which the tool is meant to turn. Knock the metal pin thats in the U shape.

Hope this helps

Old 03-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by alpesh26
It will click when it goes back in and you shouldn't be able to move the pin easily forward (it will need a little bit of force to move it).

This is all assuming the 955 has the same system as the 957. See below a picture of the pin (I stole this picture from google), the plastic U shaped thing is connected to the bolt which the tool is meant to turn. Knock the metal pin thats in the U shape.

Hope this helps
Thanks man, unfortunately mine does not look like that. I went out and snapped a quick pic of what it looks like.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Should I just take it to a shop?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:59 PM
Hmm, that looks completely different to mine. It almost looks like the head of the bolt has been rounded off.

It might be best you take it to a shop

Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I'm not necessarily recommending this as a regular service procedure but on mine I am able to sort of "palm" the headlight assembly from the outside and just pull it gently out. I tried it once after reading about how easy they are to steal. Sure enough, it worked.

Just put both palms on the outside of the lens and pull straight forward.